• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap and light DAP for sports?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'm looking for a cheap and light DAP to use while at the gym. With it I'll just be using some budget IEMs (Moondrop Quarks, Final E1000), so nothing spectacular.

What are some good options? Preferably something that I can wear around my arm, my neck or has a clip. In terms of storage even 8GB would be more than enough.

FYI: I considered wireless IEMs (+phone), but my ear canal is really tight and most IEMs don't fit great for me so don't want to run the risk of spending too much money on something that doesn't fit well.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here are a few compact DAPs side-by-side:

And Amir's review of the M0 Pro:

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Koeitje. I used this small Sony NWZ-B183F for years. It is the size of a thumb drive.. It is a 4GB device although I found I could get enough music on it for about ~3.5 days worth of daily playtime while out and about in city. The price for them is low.
cc1c892e3e4f5a0190b277e0b018dd83
190a0d45dbc316c594c757585bc4ec14

9d33d4374ea7b8a7a904fcb34459ac20

f3357e0496d1351420f473306273cd3e

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm looking for a cheap and light DAP to use while at the gym. With it I'll just be using some budget IEMs (Moondrop Quarks, Final E1000), so nothing spectacular.

What are some good options? Preferably something that I can wear around my arm, my neck or has a clip. In terms of storage even 8GB would be more than enough.

FYI: I considered wireless IEMs (+phone), but my ear canal is really tight and most IEMs don't fit great for me so don't want to run the risk of spending too much money on something that doesn't fit well.
I was looking for a Fiio M3K (have one myself), but everyone seems to have run out of that model. While it isn't designed to strap on to one's wrist, it's light, tiny and sounds good. Mine has a .5 TB Micro SD chip with about 1600 CDs worth of music in the ALAC format. I've got a Boston Acoustic FM radio in the kitchen with a 3.5 mm aux in. So I can play the contents of a large portion of my collection while cooking or washing the dishes. Too bad it isn't available anymore.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can recommend the Xduoo X2S. Small, light. Plenty of power, great sound quality and battery life. Plus cheap and with useful EQ options...

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Can recommend the Xduoo X2S. Small, light. Plenty of power, great sound quality and battery life. Plus cheap and with useful EQ options...

This looks very close to what I'd want. Only thing missing is some kind of way to carry it around at the gym. My shorts only have a small pocket in the back and that doesn't work when laying on a bench for example :p.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Think there's things called running belts which are like minimalist bumbags/fanny packs. Plus pretty sure you get elastic phone pouches for your arm...At a push you could just cut off a piece of elastic compression bandage. It is so light and small that would work.

staticV3

Master Contributor
This looks very close to what I'd want. Only thing missing is some kind of way to carry it around at the gym. My shorts only have a small pocket in the back and that doesn't work when laying on a bench for example :p.
Perhaps consider a used iPod Nano 6g.

It weighs next to nothing (~20g) and has a built-in clip.

gorb

Forum Donor
Something like a flipbelt could carry it. Also, as an alternative to a new dap and iems you could look at something like the shokz bone conduction headphones to stream from your phone. I use them when running because I can still hear what’s happening around me.

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Perhaps consider a used iPod Nano 6g.

It weighs next to nothing (~20g) and has a built-in clip.
I had a nano 4g that I used for sports, but gave it away to my mom years ago. Second hand 6g might be a good option indeed.

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I have a SanDisk Clip tucked in a drawer. Still works, but haven't used it for years,. It will play FLAC as well as MP3, I recall installing a different operating system on mine, which added some features. Here's a link to a newer version; cost - about $40.

This seems to be the cheapest option if I want something new. How good are these in terms of sound quality? With that I mainly mean noise and output power. Distortion is whatever imo as long as it isn't total crap.

HoweSound

This seems to be the cheapest option if I want something new. How good are these in terms of sound quality? With that I mainly mean noise and output power. Distortion is whatever imo as long as it isn't total crap.
They are perfectly acceptable for casual listening. No doubt the DAC is not SOTA and the amplifier circuit is probably limited by size/cost constraints. If I were to compare to a higher end DAP such as the several FiiOs that I have, I would say it sounds a bit "thin". I would spend the $40 and see if suits you. If you find it wanting, use it until you find something better.

Out of curiosity I found mine and charged it. Can't believe how tiny it is. It's a Clip Zip model. Micro usb port for charging and accepts a micro sd card and has some internal storage. there's an FM tuner with wired headphone/Iems (no Bluetooth). Mine has RockBox open source firmware installed. My impression of the sound - not bad at all.

Last edited:

pallas

A few weeks ago I dug out my old SanDisc Sansa Clip+ and installed the Rockbox OS.
Now it has a much better display theme (more info) and also plays FLAC. And has a clip. :D
As mentioned the DAC isn't SOTA, but really not bad at all. And for sports premium sound quality isn't the main point, I guess.
The only annoyance is the mini usb for charging. Would be ok with a micro usb, but I don't have any other device with a mini usb anymore...

AlmaAtaKZ

Are you considering a combo of a smartwatch (e.g. Garmin model with music) and wireless headphones?
Compact, light, one fewer device, no cables - all these are essential for sport activities.

The headphones do not have to be in-ear. There are models that are loose fit and another option is bone-conduction based models e.g. Shokz

Another option to consider is custom tips e.g. Snugs or similar. This will solve the narrow canal issue.

Last edited:

juliusskinner

Something like the SanDisk Clip Sport Plus or the Sony NW-A55 might fit the bill. Both are lightweight, have clip-on options, and won't break the bank.

Ste_S

Water (sweat) resistant Bluetooth IEMs and your phone? Cabled IEMs at a gym would annoy me, especially if the cable was microphonic.

Top Bottom