• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linus Tech Tips is going to be testing audio gear? LTT Lab 1

iconoclast

If he told Linus privately about the bad data, half the video wouldn't exist. Linus would correct and apologise. Although, I can see how being Linus' janitor doesn't encourage him to improve.
Hmm. Let's be real; Linus has shown time and time again that nothing would've happened had GN Steve done that. He's an overly emotional lasher-out and doubler-down on bad takes. Even I could tell that and I haven't really watched much of his — honestly — low quality content.

Hell, in that "apology" video he's still acting like a victim starting off by showing what people are saying about him in YouTube comments and making sure to add "valid" as a qualifier to "criticism". That was not a master class in humility.

Roddy

Hmm. Let's be real; Linus has shown time and time again that nothing would've happened had GN Steve done that. He's an overly emotional lasher-out and doubler-down on bad takes. Even I could tell that and I haven't really watched much of his — honestly — low quality content.

Hell, in that "apology" video he's still acting like a victim starting off by showing what people are saying about him in YouTube comments and making sure to add "valid" as a qualifier to "criticism". That was not a master class in humility.
I dunno, the only other thing we've got to go on is the "trust me bro" video, which he states he was ambushed by. If he was told in private, what would he have to complain about without being dishonest? Saying "I spoke to him in private but he didn't change" would absolve Steve of any blame.

Regarding Billet Labs, I can say that Linus sourced some bad-faith comments (making it sound like he auctioned it for money, when the real complaint is his nonchalant attitude threatening a startup), while also stating his attempts to fix the situation once informed.

I'm not defending either party. It's just this looks like a classic takedown, where you weaponise the audience because you don't have a smoking gun. All the drama channels stop posting about Brie Larson for a day and jump on the latest tasty morsel. Gotten wise to them over the past few years.

GN had two very specific call outs in the past: Kitguru on watercooling the Fractal Torrent and Braethorn on pre-builds. Both played up the fear of offending 'tech Jesus' like Steve did with Linus. But neither went as far as to air so much dirty laundry. Steve has this Simon Cowell "tell it like it is" persona, and there'll be a time when that comes under attack too.

As for the apology, it's bad, but there's not much else he can do. If the Internet brands you villain of the week, you're done. The more you grovel, the more you cement it. Best he can do is tell his side of the story so undecideds make an informed decision. Between this and pulling out a ukulele and singing, I'd say this was better.

Ranking the apology itself, I would say he utilised his staff well (minus their stiffness); kept himself in the background; introduced the new CEO properly (to quote Succession, he has a full hazmat suit in the form of Terren Tong); laid out future steps to avoid mistakes; took an L in the form of a week off; and open sourced Mark Bench, something they should've done ages ago.

I would've laid off the humour. I get that it makes the apologee more relatable, but it feels overdone. And Gary Key said he didn't agree with all the criticisms. He sounds petulent fighting back, but in this situation, he should've listed them, and made sure they were bullet proof.

However, without being there, none of this determines whether they chose to cooperate or "cooperate". In a way they got lucky their week off happened literally hours after a serious allegation came out. Now they have an excuse to not address it, and the audience will probably lump it in with this week's drama, completely forgotten by next week. Would probably take 2-3 more of those ASMs to sink this ship.

Last edited:
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
LTT is doing a company re-evaluation at the moment.
All new videos are paused from being uploaded.

All these changes are talked about in the latest video (uploaded yesterday):

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
LTT is doing a company re-evaluation at the moment.
All new videos are paused from being uploaded.

All these changes are talked about in the latest video (uploaded yesterday):
Pretty well done response. As another "creator" and one with a "lab," I listened intently to what they are doing and what they will be doing. They have created a massive machinery there. Did they say they produce 25 videos a week??? Reminds me of my Limo driver at Microsoft. He handled all the top execs from Bill Gates to Steve Ballmer. With that kind of clients, he could grow his company to more than 2 or 3 cars he had. But he told me he didn't want to. That the next size up would be an entirely different animal with very high risks of failing. Wise man.

The one thing I don't see him addressing is succession planning for Linus. Will the company survive if he disappeared tomorrow? I know they have other hosts but none seem to have the geeky personality that Linus has (which I personally don't like but clearly their audience does).

On this Billet cooler thing. Why on earth would they auction something that Linus repeatedly said it didn't do anything useful? And was a prototype anyway? I would have let go of that person who was in charge of that. It took lack of common sense to an entirely different level. Here I am sitting on a pile of such devices (for real) and have had no intention of dumping them on anyone. But maybe I should! :D

JaccoW

The one thing I don't see him addressing is succession planning for Linus. Will the company survive if he disappeared tomorrow?
Which could be a very real thing seeing what is going on over there at the moment.
They lost 200,000 subscribers this past week, which isn't much on a total subscriber count of 15.4 million at the moment but still. That's a lot of people.

Then again, from what I can tell from the stories coming out now it is a company culture problem in higher management.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I do think worrying about few hundred there and then is weird to me since he has a electric Porsche. His videos recently have been "Is this within budget", even his own home videos! I mean if your on a budget why buy a 4K projector and a top-of-the-line Denon AVR.

Which could be a very real thing seeing what is going on over there at the moment.
They lost 200,000 subscribers this past week, which isn't much on a total subscriber count of 15.4 million at the moment but still. That's a lot of people.

Then again, from what I can tell from the stories coming out now it is a company culture problem in higher management.
Honestly they'll be fine just like when they lost most of there data in ~2016/2017?. There more of a casual then a serious channel. Stuff that can be digested by most people.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
theyre doing a WAN show which i'd imagine is going to be very highly watched and very tightly scripted (STAY ON TOPIC!!!) but Linus being LINUS he's gonna slip up all thru the show... and Luke is going to have a hard time reeling him in...

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Screenshot 2023-08-19 162219.png

They decided to turn off monetization after the video was initially uploaded and my feelings for that video being half assed grew stronger.

The things I wanna see the future from LMS/LTT (Some objective and subjective):
  • No crying about "Budget problems" especially if its Linus's own damn house.
  • Stop treating your audience like there toddlers.
  • I want to see more actual tech videos (Not Electric cars and mowers, they should be on a different channel).
  • Less point and shoot videos.
  • Put more design effort into your clothing line (The "Blank T-shirt" shouldn't exist)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They decided to turn off monetization after the video was initially uploaded and my feelings for that video being half assed grew stronger.
Oh, I too thought they had done so at the start so gave them points I shouldn't have.

BTW, the sexual harassment allegations are quite serious from one of their ex employees. They told her to manage their "OnlyFans" account? What were they thinking? I would have thought they would grow up with proper HR controls when they went past 50 employees. At Microsoft, we had specific employment agreements that people signed to work on anything that would fall in that category (by definition, we had customers in the Adult market that used our video technologies). If the person wasn't completely comfortable with that, they would not at all be forced to work in that area. Here, they create a joke around OnlyFans, have it become popular and kept as a "thing," and then give it to a female employee to manage? She makes other allegations but this one, which I don't think is disputed, shows such inexperience beyond running a 1 man company.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Oh, I too thought they had done so at the start so gave them points I shouldn't have.

BTW, the sexual harassment allegations are quite serious from one of their ex employees. They told her to manage their "OnlyFans" account? What were they thinking? I would have thought they would grow up with proper HR controls when they went past 50 employees. At Microsoft, we had specific employment agreements that people signed to work on anything that would fall in that category (by definition, we had customers in the Adult market that used our video technologies). If the person wasn't completely comfortable with that, they would not at all be forced to work in that area. Here, they create a joke around OnlyFans, have it become popular and kept as a "thing," and then give it to a female employee to manage? She makes other allegations but this one, which I don't think is disputed, shows such inexperience beyond running a 1 man company.
Yeah, the allegations are rough. I'm unfortunately not surprised. The vibe I always got from the videos was that it was basically a frat house in terms of culture.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
She might as well be over dramatic because her dream job did turn out to be very time consuming work and not about playing games all day.

I did read that the onlyfans account was just a joke for one video.. but it all sounds like she was responsible for adult entertainment.

D

Deleted member 48726

Been following them since the beginning. It's surely a joke.

No need to be purging a fire.

dfuller

Major Contributor

No need to be purging a fire.
Whether or not it's a joke is irrelevant. It's completely inappropriate, especially to a female coworker.

D

Deleted member 48726

Whether or not it's a joke is irrelevant. It's completely inappropriate, especially to a female coworker.
No it's not irrelevant if the people there knew it and jokes like this can be perfectly fine in the right context with the right people. (I don't find sexist jokes funny at all but acknowledge they exist and being used a lot without people getting offended).
Of course some don't have the persona to say out loud that they didn't like it.

But hopefully there should be a difference in a joke meant as fun (even though it isn't) and a decidedly harmful comment. The joke isn't meant to hurt, the latter is. But if you're unsure of how people stand on this it's best avoided altogether.

-Why is it especially inappropiate to a female?

Tiggerlator

Never really liked Linus, always came across as a bit of a tit to me. Imo what he did to billet labs was ****** indeed, nevermind selling the one off block then saying, "i never sold it, i auctioned it" Like that dumb response made it better.

Imo he brought it on himself, if you are going to do test stuff, do it properly or not at all.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been hesitant to comment here because I don't want this to sound like I'm trying to puff myself up - which I'm definitely not - but I have to say I stopped watching LTT and related videos a long time ago. To my perception, the video titles and subject matter frequently went over the line into clickbait territory, and on the occasions when Linus did a video about something I actually am knowledgeable about, I felt his assessments and comments were needlessly biased and often lacking in accuracy on some points (sometimes fine points, sometimes major points). I like snark and entertainment, but I always felt like the snark got in the way of the actual facts and a proper, balanced review or assessment of the tech. I felt this particularly when it was Linus himself on screen - he might be a super-nice guy, but his online persona, not so much.

And so I was shocked at the level and frequency of glaring technical errors GN exposed - but I was not surprised that quality and integrity of testing and data took a back seat.

The startup/tech/creator world is absolutely overflowing with folks who know nothing about managing a company - and all too many of them don't seem to want to learn how to do it (or else they're too stuck in putting out fires daily to take a step back and think, which seems to have been part of the problem here). In that regard I see a clear line you can draw from the "let's run a company the way it seems from the outside like Musk and other mavericks do it" to "let's enable a culture in which an employee can say, "are you going to just stand on that table or are you going to dance on it?" at the end of that 2021 video where Linus is making an all-hands announcement about being thoughtful co-workers and not bullying or being inappropriate to others.

And the OnlyFans comment issue isn't about just causing offense - it's about thinking carefully about what it means to be professional and how to maximize the chances that all your valued employees feel comfortable in the workplace. It's about being a grown-up and modeling a grown-up level of perceptiveness and interpersonal skill in the workplace - something at which it appears Linus failed miserably.

napfkuchen

Never really liked Linus, always came across as a bit of a tit to me. Imo what he did to billet labs was ****** indeed, nevermind selling the one off block then saying, "i never sold it, i auctioned it" Like that dumb response made it better.

Imo he brought it on himself, if you are going to do test stuff, do it properly or not at all.
Imagine you are part of a small business, send your product for evaluation to "mighty" LTT only to see it fail due to improper usage and the reviewer tells everybody: "This product would have been bulls**t regardless of improper testing and it is overpriced anyway." Just because they were too lazy. For someone with such a mindset ethics are "broken" and I don't see a way this can be fixed.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
She says she was receiving nude pictures of male genitalia in the process of managing that account. That ain't no joke.

Top Bottom