• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linus Tech Tips is going to be testing audio gear? LTT Lab 1

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
What I'm hoping from this is:
  1. Mostly in-depth overview & review of a product.
  2. Actual comparisons with competing products (Like they failed with the Panasonic DP-UB820 technically).
  3. Measure "What If" situations (ex: DAC running off of a PC's USB port).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A new (rambling) tour of the new testing center.
It is just a real estate walk-through with nothing related to actual testing.

I searched back a couple of videos and found another where he talked about a few more things:

1. He bought the building for US $10M. Put down 10% or 1 million dollars and financed the rest. Quick back of the envelop calculation shows about US $600,000 in yearly mortgage payment.

2. He said he put "all of his money" into this building but I think he is exaggerating. Still, it took big chunk of cash to to buy this building.

3. He pulled up emails from his staff saying the cost of an EMC chamber was $50K or something like that. So they are going to do some kind of emissions testing.

4. He likewise pulled up an email about an anechoic chamber they were considering buying. Did not say how much this was but his co-host looked at the mail and said, "it is 3 meters and hence it is that low cost." He asked him if it was on springs and such but did not get an answer.

5. Building is typical commercial one so it is going to need good chunk of cash to make it like what he wants. He said "6 figures." I think these costs will add up even faster than he thinks.

6. He said the last lab tour was "fake?" Something to the effect that the other building fell through so did the one after but they eventually bought this one.

7. Talked about the "floatplane.com" people bringing nice and regular revenue. I had not heard of this service. It is a paid subscription platform for video producers like him.

8. I think he said they have 6 or 7 testers/engineers now. They have as many writers paired up with them.

9. He talked about the inevitable conflict of interest with their sponsors and test results. He expects to lose some of them but how much, he/nobody knows. It is good that he is preparing for this but I suspect he doesn't know the depth of this issue.

I like the transparency he is bringing here. But I also think he is taking giant risks here. I don't know that he can increase his viewership with more in-depth testing.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is just a real estate walk-through with nothing related to actual testing.

I searched back a couple of videos and found another where he talked about a few more things:

1. He bought the building for US $10M. Put down 10% or 1 million dollars and financed the rest. Quick back of the envelop calculation shows about US $600,000 in yearly mortgage payment.

2. He said he put "all of his money" into this building but I think he is exaggerating. Still, it took big chunk of cash to to buy this building.

3. He pulled up emails from his staff saying the cost of an EMC chamber was $50K or something like that. So they are going to do some kind of emissions testing.

4. He likewise pulled up an email about an anechoic chamber they were considering buying. Did not say how much this was but his co-host looked at the mail and said, "it is 3 meters and hence it is that low cost." He asked him if it was on springs and such but did not get an answer.

5. Building is typical commercial one so it is going to need good chunk of cash to make it like what he wants. He said "6 figures." I think these costs will add up even faster than he thinks.

6. He said the last lab tour was "fake?" Something to the effect that the other building fell through so did the one after but they eventually bought this one.

7. Talked about the "floatplane.com" people bringing nice and regular revenue. I had not heard of this service. It is a paid subscription platform for video producers like him.

8. I think he said they have 6 or 7 testers/engineers now. They have as many writers paired up with them.

9. He talked about the inevitable conflict of interest with their sponsors and test results. He expects to lose some of them but how much, he/nobody knows. It is good that he is preparing for this but I suspect he doesn't know the depth of this issue.

I like the transparency he is bringing here. But I also think he is taking giant risks here. I don't know that he can increase his viewership with more in-depth testing.
Following the succession of his rise to "stardom" from his previous position(s) at NCIX to now indicates that he has been in the right places at the right times throughout his rise to popularity. Maybe he is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel again and making another success move?

Roddy

He made another video just after about how much money his top 10 videos make.

$33K to $74K. Not sure if CAD or USD. His general rule of thumb is $2,000 per million views. If Amir is right about $600K US for the mortgage, it's $11,538 a week. Divide that by $1547 ($2,000 CAD in USD), and he needs 7.46m views a week to clear it. I didn't count, but the main channel usually gets 1-2m views on his daily videos. Not even counting the 5 periphery channels, he should clear it.

Still though, I'm surprised he didn't go for the extremely low-hanging fruit that doesn't cost a penny, gaming/streaming. He could've jumped on the Elden Ring bandwagon while it was still hot, but doesn't have a single video mentioning it in the title or description. There's one video that mentions Cyberpunk 2077 by name. OK, it costs time to edit, but this is a guy who makes content out of everything. Building editing PCs for his staff? Content. Moving into and automating his new house? Content. Entertainment systems for his wife and kids? Content. When you listen to him, you can hear how ideas for his next videos shape his thinking. Like "how many videos can I make out of buying a sports car vs a wall TV".

What is Linus? An influencer? A vlogger? Where does the persona end, and the man begin? Who knows. Maybe I've been sucked into the "open/honest businessman persona". I mean, for a guy with 100 employees, he sure does act like "one of the boys". He doesn't use the words "parasocial relationship", but he talked about the Flotaplane gang getting upset over his Dream server build (Dream the streamer). Floatplane is a streaming service he created, but is legally distinct from LMG, and run by Luke, his co-host for the WAN show. Only the most committed fans watch his videos there (before they go on Youtube), and he said they were upset that their image of him had been tarnished by the Dream build (Dream was caught cheating, and other toxic actions).

That's why I'm worried about the lab. People watch Linus to see Linus, the gang, and what crazy stuff they get up to, with the occasional PC edutainment. He made a channel, Mac Address, with a new host and ambiance distinct from his other ones. He said it's because he wanted the take of a Mac guy. Macs are the antithesis of PC gaming: locked down ecosystems; poor price/performance ratio; Apple's "we know best" anti-consumer attitude; cult like followers (debatable); and the absence of games and gaming brands. Nvidia makes up 80% of gaming PCs, and has been absent from Apple for a decade. So let's be real: he made a Mac channel because nothing he said about the Mac would be taken in good faith by the Mac community. His mere presence would poison the well.

Extend that to audio/video testing. His latest video asks whether 8GB ram is enough for gamers. That's his forte, yet below the video is a pinned comment of him apologising for not including background processes. And this is the guy we're going to trust for audio/visual tests? Even the original head/torso test was done with a limited scope to make sure they could bang out a video on time. Everything he does is done better by someone else individually. Hardware Unboxed does a better job of gaming tests than him. Gamers Nexus pretty much picks my cases for me. Seems like a fundamental issue of whether his analytical content takes off. People who want it don't trust Linus. People who trust Linus might get bored by it. And yet Linus and co. bring in the views, which they're going to need a lot of to pay for all the equipment and staff.

Edit: in the latest WAN show, he said he had mortgages (plural) that cost half a million dollars a year, internet that costs tens of thousands of dollars a year, and that he needs to make millions of dollars a year just to stay afloat (~19 minutes in).

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Crin's take.

Last edited:

sgent

New video with updates and a cool discovery about better quality closed back headphones:

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
New video with updates and a cool discovery about better quality closed back headphones:

Looks like they are taking on asr, crinacle, and rtings ... and maybe dxomark. Lofty goals. I wonder how or if he can monetize it better than the current competition.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Lots of cool stuff there. Also, heard mention of speaker testing... In before "LTT Bought A Tricked Out Klippel NFS"

sgent

Lots of cool stuff there. Also, heard mention of speaker testing... In before "LTT Bought A Tricked Out Klippel NFS"

Speaker testing I get the impression is more on his "would like to do" list. He is more interested in headphones, microphones, and electronics first and then possibly expanding to laptops and consumer electronic speakers. They do some speaker stuff on the channel on occasion but I don't think they see it as a core part of their market currently. They mentioned pricing out a anechoic chamber but they haven't made any announcements.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
He made another video just after about how much money his top 10 videos make.

$33K to $74K. Not sure if CAD or USD. His general rule of thumb is $2,000 per million views. If Amir is right about $600K US for the mortgage, it's $11,538 a week. Divide that by $1547 ($2,000 CAD in USD), and he needs 7.46m views a week to clear it. I didn't count, but the main channel usually gets 1-2m views on his daily videos. Not even counting the 5 periphery channels, he should clear it.

Still though, I'm surprised he didn't go for the extremely low-hanging fruit that doesn't cost a penny, gaming/streaming. He could've jumped on the Elden Ring bandwagon while it was still hot, but doesn't have a single video mentioning it in the title or description. There's one video that mentions Cyberpunk 2077 by name. OK, it costs time to edit, but this is a guy who makes content out of everything. Building editing PCs for his staff? Content. Moving into and automating his new house? Content. Entertainment systems for his wife and kids? Content. When you listen to him, you can hear how ideas for his next videos shape his thinking. Like "how many videos can I make out of buying a sports car vs a wall TV".

What is Linus? An influencer? A vlogger? Where does the persona end, and the man begin? Who knows. Maybe I've been sucked into the "open/honest businessman persona". I mean, for a guy with 100 employees, he sure does act like "one of the boys". He doesn't use the words "parasocial relationship", but he talked about the Flotaplane gang getting upset over his Dream server build (Dream the streamer). Floatplane is a streaming service he created, but is legally distinct from LMG, and run by Luke, his co-host for the WAN show. Only the most committed fans watch his videos there (before they go on Youtube), and he said they were upset that their image of him had been tarnished by the Dream build (Dream was caught cheating, and other toxic actions).

That's why I'm worried about the lab. People watch Linus to see Linus, the gang, and what crazy stuff they get up to, with the occasional PC edutainment. He made a channel, Mac Address, with a new host and ambiance distinct from his other ones. He said it's because he wanted the take of a Mac guy. Macs are the antithesis of PC gaming: locked down ecosystems; poor price/performance ratio; Apple's "we know best" anti-consumer attitude; cult like followers (debatable); and the absence of games and gaming brands. Nvidia makes up 80% of gaming PCs, and has been absent from Apple for a decade. So let's be real: he made a Mac channel because nothing he said about the Mac would be taken in good faith by the Mac community. His mere presence would poison the well.

Extend that to audio/video testing. His latest video asks whether 8GB ram is enough for gamers. That's his forte, yet below the video is a pinned comment of him apologising for not including background processes. And this is the guy we're going to trust for audio/visual tests? Even the original head/torso test was done with a limited scope to make sure they could bang out a video on time. Everything he does is done better by someone else individually. Hardware Unboxed does a better job of gaming tests than him. Gamers Nexus pretty much picks my cases for me. Seems like a fundamental issue of whether his analytical content takes off. People who want it don't trust Linus. People who trust Linus might get bored by it. And yet Linus and co. bring in the views, which they're going to need a lot of to pay for all the equipment and staff.

Edit: in the latest WAN show, he said he had mortgages (plural) that cost half a million dollars a year, internet that costs tens of thousands of dollars a year, and that he needs to make millions of dollars a year just to stay afloat (~19 minutes in).
I think it's odd that LTT has moved towards obvective, lab testing. As you mention there are other YouTube channels, like Gamers Nexus, that do that to a greater extent. LTT is not where I would go for benchmarks or to get information in order to decide on which product to buy, there are others doing that better.

I've always thought of LTT as a bit like Top Gear for gadgets and PC related stuff, it's entertaining*, but not particularly informative.

* I don't actually find Top Gear entertaining and haven't watched it for decades.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Oh oh...
Linus Tech Tips, one of the largest and most popular technology YouTube channels on the platform, has been hacked. It was used by the hackers to show pre-recorded 'live-streaming' crypto-scam videos, featuring former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and Tesla CEO Elon Musk. The channel is now showing a message stating it has been shut down for violating YouTube's community guidelines, but it appears Linus' other channels are also being abused.

JSmith

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
about their anechoic chamber thing.... apparently they ordered a $45,000 second hand setup... which the 2nd hand vendor didnt bill (I dont know what happened there)

there's a lot to talk about with Linus... a while back they were given a buyout offer over $100 mil. - which even he was ambivalent about given he has over 100 employees and he said it was 'overvalued' at the time as profitability was high but that we before they spend a lot of capital investment

eg. an airline who doesnt buy airliners but is profitable but overbooked would show high market cap... but once they buy a billion dollars in airliners then their market cap goes down as their liabilities have gone up

further i think Linus is very much built on... Linus! notice a heap of his vids have him in the youtube title pic... and he does stick his face in a heap of his vids... because people come to see Linus and if Linus isnt there the views drops precipitously... and he knows this and he posted a 'burnout' video a while back where he has an emotional breakdown due to the decade old pressures of him carrying this enterprise

so I dont go to Linus to see hard hitting graphs and the like... its not exactly a good medium for that? i dont go to Linus for stuff on audio

and this has precedence... I dont mind Linus or someone like Marcus Brownlee doing cars... nay EVs every so often... EVs and tech go together but I dont think they can bet on that as key driver of clicks... and so i get that people will say "they arent staying in their lane"

Roddy

Lmao. Any time I regret a decision, I can always remind myself Linus turned down a $100m offer.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom