• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Link by Stack Audio and "Signal Detoxing"

chriskilbourn

I found this interesting streamer that doubles as a "Signal Detoxer" called Link by Stack Audio in the UK.
https://stackaudio.co.uk/link/

I read the review here on the Uptone ISO Regen, showing that, if anything, products like this can add noise to the signal chain.

The product page for the Link shows the noise that their product supposedly removes from the USB stream.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 1.36.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 1.36.18 PM.png

The attention that they put into isolation is pretty impressive though!

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 4241-2.png
    4241-2.png
    291.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Link-Page-Image-7.png
    Link-Page-Image-7.png
    1 MB · Views: 307
  • 11-1.jpg
    11-1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 1.36.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 1.36.18 PM.png
    463.5 KB · Views: 139

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I thought the description seemed familiar, then saw mention of John Westlake and remembered the Lakewest MDAC2. I'd expect a technically sound product despite the twaddle the marketing people have stuck on the web site. That said, decent DACs have proved pretty much immune to the normal (and expected) range of variation in USB, so I wouldn't expect it to produce measurably better output from the DAC than any other USB streamer, or computer USB port. I'll look for references later if someone doesn't beat me to it. And see if you can spot a Raspberry Pi Compute Module (which I wouldn't regard as a bad thing!)

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
It is "slight of hand" marketing trick, as the so called phase noise in the eye diagram means nothing as far as digital audio quality is concerned. Have a quick look on how to understand an eye pattern or diagram. This application note is as good as any: https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/AND9075-D.PDF

how to read eye diagram.JPG

In high speed digital data transmission, as long as the bit error rate is down below spec and the data transmission stays out of the "keep out" region of the compliance mask, then you are getting 100% perfect digital data transmission. Period.

eye diagram with compliance mask.JPG

Source: Was a digital electronics tech way back in the early 80's fine tuning eye patterns for products like: https://patents.google.com/patent/US4534039

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I wouldn’t touch anything that Westlake has designed with Thomas’.
Keith

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

firedog

It's interesting to compare the jitter measurements there with the ones here for the Oppo Sonica and Chord Mojo which show excellent jitter performance even without a decrapifier.
Yes, but the point is that for some DACs it makes a positive difference. Even if their performance on it's own is good, with this device it's better.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think "audio science" would say that the personalities involved in design aren't relevant, performance is.
How does his design for projekte measure or the Mdac ?
Keith

firedog

I suggest you google Pinkfish+Westlake
Don't see how that is relevant. That thread is about his failure to deliver a product he was supposed to design and also manufacture. Apparently he's a good designer and not very good at actually bringing something to market.

With these streamers there are at least two different companies already marketing versions of his design quite successfully. Same with several other designs of his. If pro-jekt, Stack Audio, or others have managed to successfully exploit his design skills, I'm buying a product from them, not from him. I don't care who the designer is, I care about the performance of the resulting product.

Last edited:
Top Bottom