• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Limitations of blind testing procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd think a good microphone does a good job at capturing a good sound.

All that said, this is of course true. There are good mics and bad mics, but still, even the best mic on the planet hooked up to the best mic pre on the planet, is only going to give us a pretty sorry excuse of the actual event.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
25 years of playing and recording music.

But really, just think about it: The sound of a close miced 22" bass drum is supposed to be captured by a (at best) 1.5" microphone membrane. Or an entire jazz band, drums, sax, bass, trumpet, piano, etc. Through a couple of mics? And that's supposed to capture the ambiance of the room and the full dynamics and every detail of what's being played? Not to mention an entire orchestra playing a classical piece. At 110+db?

Besides our speakers, the recording stage it self is the tightest bottleneck we face. My point is that we are kidding ourselves if we think that we can replicate a musical event on our systems, because the recording is so ridiculously compromised to begin with.

You can't bargain with the laws of physics.

Microphones look a lot like our ears, so I don't think they are problematic for the reasons you are implying. Where they fail is in capturing the information that we take for granted when we move our heads. Small movements help us to build up a more complex image of the 'scene'. To reproduce it, we would need to be able to track the listener's head and reproduce the acoustics at every position and angle - this can only really be done practically by synthesising the result from first principles. (The gaming industry already does this).

Ironically, people who wish to 'remove the room' from their audio, are seeking to remove something that ameliorates the problem of playing back a recording made with static mics and does give us some illusion of being in a real space that responds when we turn our heads.

Dynamix

Try standing next to a drumkit being played. And then listen to a recording of that drumkit.

Our ears are so much more sensitive than even the best mics you can buy.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
-
Try standing next to a drumkit being played. And then listen to a recording of that drumkit.

Surely it's the playback that is the limiting factor here..? As long as it doesn't overload, the mic will record the pressure variations that fall upon it. If we wish to reproduce the drumkit at realistic volume, we need some meaty speakers.

Dynamix

Nah, it's first the recording, then the playback. Again, you can't cheat the laws of physics.

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is exactly the point that so many audiophiles seem to be unable to grasp. The simple truth is that as soon as any sound is recorded through a mic, most of that sound is just gone.

Agreed.

I think it followed Alice down the rabbit hole?

And the only way to get it back is to buy super expensive cables that send audio signals with the speed of light!

fas42

Major Contributor

As Cosmik stated, it is playback limitations. Physics of speakers have nothing to do with it; but the ability of the amplifier to drive the speakers well has everything to do with it - an audio show blast of drums on bigger Dynaudio speakers, driven by amplifiers that behaved themselves, gave an excellent rendition of the "real thing" - most amps are incompetent at high volumes, and trying to reproduce these sort of instruments at realistic SPLs makes this very obvious.

fas42

Major Contributor
Ironically, people who wish to 'remove the room' from their audio, are seeking to remove something that ameliorates the problem of playing back a recording made with static mics and does give us some illusion of being in a real space that responds when we turn our heads.
"Removing the room" is not a problem - there are enough cues and ambient information in recordings, if well reproduced, for the mind to build a picture of "real space" that corresponds to the ones captured in the recordings, whether natural or added in the studio. For most, it would require experiencing a system working well enough to appreciate this - but of course this happens very rarely "in the wild" ...

Dynamix

Agreed.

And the only way to get it back is to buy super expensive cables that send audio signals with the speed of light!

Don't forget the risers. Elevate them cables.

Dynamix

As Cosmik stated, it is playback limitations. Physics of speakers have nothing to do with it; but the ability of the amplifier to drive the speakers well has everything to do with it - an audio show blast of drums on bigger Dynaudio speakers, driven by amplifiers that behaved themselves, gave an excellent rendition of the "real thing" - most amps are incompetent at high volumes, and trying to reproduce these sort of instruments at realistic SPLs makes this very obvious.

So what you're saying is that you've never heard a band performing live. Makes sense.

Youtube is awesome though.

fas42

Major Contributor
So what you're saying is that you've never heard a band performing live. Makes sense.

Youtube is awesome though.
Well, I take zero notice of the crappy rubbish coming through a PA system, which aims to destroy the maximum number of ear drums in its vicinity ... but I have been to endless band rehearsal get togethers, where all you hear is the raw sound of the musicians' gear: guitar amps, drums, etc. Sorta like what they do in a recording studio ...

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
Also, I went to an in hall concert by this mob, long time ago ...

Just the straight instruments, plus vocals PA - about 20 feet away from them powering full blast ... good gig!

fas42

Major Contributor
Gosh, brings back memories - he was powering to the end ...

Salut, Billy ...

Dynamix

Well, I take zero notice of the crappy rubbish coming through a PA system, which aims to destroy the maximum number of ear drums in its vicinity ... but I have been to endless band rehearsal get togethers, where all you hear is the raw sound of the musicians gear: guitar amps, drums, etc. Sorta like what they do in a recording studio ...

Did I mention PA systems?

fas42

Major Contributor
Ummm ... "band performing live" ... "no PA system" ... in which decade did that last happen?

Dynamix

Happens all the time in small clubs around here that the only thing going through the PA are the vocals.

That's not the point I'm trying to make though.

fas42

Major Contributor
I'm on a roll ... this is the way to listen to a band, not the crappy 1/2 mile away rubbish one gets now ...

fas42

Major Contributor
Happens all the time in small clubs around here that the only thing going through the PA are the vocals.

That's not the point I'm trying to make though.
The point I'm making is that a competent playback system should be able to reproduce the energy and drive of a group like that - maybe not to the peak SPLs, for a particular setup, but one could assemble such a rig, if you want to ...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Physics of speakers have nothing to do with it...most amps are incompetent at high volumes

1. Physics has to do with everything
2. Amps don't have a volume absent a speaker interface. Perhaps you mean output.
3. How do you measure "incompetence"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom