• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LG 2024 Releases ahead of CES

MCH

Major Contributor
noob question from what is told in the video: what's that of OS updates for 5 years? what does it happen afterwards? do they little by little become unusable like smartphones or are you ok if you don't need to install the latest apps? thanks.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Vincent just mentioned that these have a 5 year warranty on their panels, meaning they guarantee you won't have burn in for that long.

But OS updates are separate from that, of course.

For example, I bought a 55" LG B7 back in Nov 2017, since it was announced in Jan 2017.
And i've kept the LG B7 up to date, using the latest firmware.
The latest firmware stopped on 2022-12-05. source (search OLED55B7P).
That's 5 years and 11 months since release.

No, I didn't notice a slowdown over time, like cellphones will, due to battery degradation mostly.
That's pretty good I would say.

Another thing you have to know...LG will always prioritize their flagship models with all the latest firmware.
Meaning, if I would have bought the G7 instead, I would have likely got more firmware past that point.
In other words, if you buy the flagships like G or M series, over the middle tiers like B or C series, you'll get more firmware updates over time and you'll also get more feature upgrades (since the latest flagships have better processors so they can handle more features).

I hope that answers your question.

UPDATE:
I just checked the higher tiers than my TV (B7), to see if their firmware is any newer:
1. G7 = same time as mine
2. E7 = same time as mine
3. W7 = same time as mine

I guess I disproved my own theory...haha

Okay, then I guess the only difference becomes if the processor is more capable, they will get features that the weaker processors won't.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
Vincent just mentioned that these have a 5 year warranty on their panels, meaning they guarantee you won't have burn in for that long.

But OS updates are separate from that, of course.

For example, I bought a 55" LG B7 back in Nov 2017, since it was announced in Jan 2017.
And i've kept the LG B7 up to date, using the latest firmware.
The latest firmware stopped on 2022-12-05. source (search OLED55B7P).
That's 5 years and 11 months since release.

No, I didn't notice a slowdown over time, like cellphones will, due to battery degradation mostly.
That's pretty good I would say.

Another thing you have to know...LG will always prioritize their flagship models with all the latest firmware.
Meaning, if I would have bought the G7 instead, I would have likely got more firmware past that point.
In other words, if you buy the flagships like G or M series, over the middle tiers like B or C series, you'll get more firmware updates over time and you'll also get more feature upgrades (since the latest flagships have better processors so they can handle more features).

I hope that answers your question.

UPDATE:
I just checked the higher tiers than my TV (B7), to see if their firmware is any newer:
1. G7 = same time as mine
2. E7 = same time as mine
3. W7 = same time as mine

I guess I disproved my own theory...haha

Okay, then I guess the only difference becomes if the processor is more capable, they will get features that the weaker processors won't.
Yes it does, thanks!

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there might be an element of safety/ security patching in those OS updates as well. Many of these TVs come with Wifi, BT and various other built-in functions that can pose security risks of varying degrees. From time to time bugs and vulnerabilities are uncovered and needs to be patched in smart TVs.

Here is a some interesting read on that from Purdue:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I think there might be an element of safety/ security patching in those OS updates as well. Many of these TVs come with Wifi, BT and various other built-in functions that can pose security risks of varying degrees. From time to time bugs and vulnerabilities are uncovered and needs to be patched in smart TVs.

Here is a some interesting read on that from Purdue:

Frankly OT, but your comment makes me remember how shocked I was when I understood that most of the Android based streamers run on an Android 7 base.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Frankly OT, but your comment makes me remember how shocked I was when I understood that most of the Android based streamers run on an Android 7 base.
There are so many official and unofficial versions and ports of Android running on various devices at peoples homes that if I were a security analyst, it would give me massive migraines just thinking about them.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Sony is pivoting from OLED to Mini LED as the display technology of choice for its 2024 flagship TV.

ChatGPT 3.5 summary:
Sony's decision to pivot from OLED to mini LED for its 2024 flagship TV represents a significant shift in display technology. OLED has been widely praised for its self-emissive characteristics, delivering true blacks, vibrant colors, wide viewing angles, and near-instantaneous pixel response time. Sony's own Bravia A95 L QD OLED was recognized as the best TV of 2023.

The company explained that the introduction of its new BVM HX310 mastering monitor, capable of reaching 4,000 nits of peak brightness on a 10% window and 1,000 nits full screen, influenced this decision. Sony anticipates content creators pushing for higher HDR brightness levels, prompting a shift to mini LED technology. Mini LED offers higher luminance levels across the entire screen compared to OLED, and it's also more cost-effective for larger screen sizes.

During a media briefing in Tokyo, Sony highlighted the advantages of mini LED technology, including improved power efficiency through effective local dimming. Sony aims to improve the EU Eco Label rating of its new 65-inch flagship mini LED TV by one class. The company showcased its LED driver, providing 12-bit control for writing time and 10-bit control for current or luminance, resulting in 22-bit control for smoother gradation and accurate detail across a wide dynamic range.

Sony's hardware, including the latest Bravia XR processor, optimized backlight levels for improved energy efficiency. Two key innovations distinguish Sony's 2024 mini LED TV prototype: a smaller LED driver, claimed to be the world's tiniest, enabling more local dimming zones while keeping costs down, and a more efficient LED driving method to reduce power consumption in darker scenes.

Comparisons with last year's Sony X95 L mini LED TV and a Bravia A8L OLED TV demonstrated the 2024 mini LED prototype's brighter performance with less blooming. Sony also emphasized its mini LED's superior full-screen luminance compared to QD OLEDs, highlighting that mini LED TVs are not hindered by protective auto-dimming measures present in OLEDs.

While acknowledging OLED's popularity in dark home theater rooms, Sony asserted that mini LED technology offers advantages, especially in terms of brightness and absence of certain auto-dimming measures. The company's commitment to improving mini LED technology's performance and energy efficiency positions it as a competitive choice in the evolving landscape of flagship TVs.

Top Bottom