• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's amazing to me what a few threats and terse emails could do. One site founder rally's his members in defense of another site founder, ignoring their previous rocky relationship. Hundreds of pages of comments of outraged audio enthusiasts that spread to multiple websites and social media, insighting many discussions on freedom of speech, reviewing ethics, legal system costs in time and money, reviewers insurance, ethical vs technical purchasing decisions, etc. Then on to technology, tweeter array schemes and wiring, crossovers and frequency response, dispersion, power efficiency, verification of existing products and similar designs and test data. Oh, did I mention new and existing videos exploring all the topics above, more testing and more vitriol. So now that almost everyone in audio has taken a deep dive into Tekton's speakers, performance, construction, patents, ethics and business practices, that were mostly negative in tone, I wonder if EA regrets his knee jerk reactions to couple of modest reviews.

1713555655844.jpeg

ta240

Major Contributor
..... I wonder if EA regrets his knee jerk reactions to couple of modest reviews.
I wonder if he is introspective enough to see the error or if everything that has transpired is someone else's fault.

A guy I used to work with had a piece of paper taped to the edge of his computer screen that basically said "You can't always control what happens, but you can control how you react to it".

And the ultimate perspective creating saying was also from a co-worker that after something went wrong would often say "If this is the worst thing that happens to me today I can deal with it". The real perspective came when it sank in just how much worse things can be, when I saw her face as she got the phone call that her husband had been killed in a car wreck. Pausing for perspective could benefit a lot of people when they think something bad has happened to them.

It's amazing to me what a few threats and terse emails could do. One site founder rally's his members in defense of another site founder, ignoring their previous rocky relationship. Hundreds of pages of comments of outraged audio enthusiasts that spread to multiple websites and social media, insighting many discussions on freedom of speech, reviewing ethics, legal system costs in time and money, reviewers insurance, ethical vs technical purchasing decisions, etc. Then on to technology, tweeter array schemes and wiring, crossovers and frequency response, dispersion, power efficiency, verification of existing products and similar designs and test data. Oh, did I mention new and existing videos exploring all the topics above, more testing and more vitriol. So now that almost everyone in audio has taken a deep dive into Tekton's speakers, performance, construction, patents, ethics and business practices, that were mostly negative in tone, I wonder if EA regrets his knee jerk reactions to couple of modest reviews.

View attachment 364722
My perspective believes this is unlikely the case. My view is instead this person has most likely made up his mind that he’s the victim and not the bully. Some poor souls have personality disorders that prevent them from honest self reflection, and poor outcomes to their behaviors serve only to reinforce their distorted views of the world and their interactions with it.

We see the contradictions in his defenses that he does not. We see the doubling down after every challenged statement. We see the halfhearted apologies that lack specificity or any sense of remorse. We see him hiding his mistakes by way of deletion when things go south. And we see instance after instance of others having similar experiences when interacting with him - assuming the recounted stories are true and complete. The absence of interactions praising the person for their character is a deafening silence.

It’s more likely any reflection revolves around how angry he is that this happened to him and how he must vanquish his enemies - whether real or imagined - at all cost. Whether or not he started it is not a consideration.

Sad. But like most I feel nothing but contempt for these sorts. They are EPA superfund sites of toxicity. It belongs to them. But rarely - if ever - will they own it.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My perspective believes this is unlikely the case. My view is instead this person has most likely made up his mind that he’s the victim and not the bully. Some poor souls have personality disorders that prevent them from honest self reflection, and poor outcomes to their behaviors serve only to reinforce their distorted views of the world and their interactions with it.

We see the contradictions in his defenses that he does not. We see the doubling down after every challenged statement. We see the halfhearted apologies that lack specificity or any sense of remorse. We see him hiding his mistakes by way of deletion when things go south. And we see instance after instance of others having similar experiences when interacting with him - assuming the recounted stories are true and complete. The absence of interactions praising the person for their character is a deafening silence.

It’s more likely any reflection revolves around how angry he is that this happened to him and how he must vanquish his enemies - whether real or imagined - at all cost. Whether or not he started it is not a consideration.

Sad. But like most I feel nothing but contempt for these sorts. They are EPA superfund sites of toxicity. It belongs to them. But rarely - if ever - will they own it.
I agree with every word above. But it's different when pick up a scorching hot pot without a pot holder, your regret is instant and personality plays only small role.

I agree with every word above. But it's different when pick up a scorching hot pot without a pot holder, your regret is instant and personality plays only small role.
LOL, not when your wiring‘s all wrong. You keep picking up the pot wondering why it’s still mad at you.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's amazing to me what a few threats and terse emails could do.
Remember, I kept everything to myself for some three weeks. If he had not come here and publicly repeat the legal threats, and then go after Erin, it would have remained that way. We are here 100% because of what Eric Alexander did, not because of any overreaction on my part to go public and such.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember, I kept everything to myself for some three weeks. If he had not come here and publicly repeat the legal threats, and then go after Erin, it would have remained that way. We are here 100% because of what Eric Alexander did, not because of any overreaction on my part to go public and such.
NP because you brought it up as a question about reviewer legal protection and noted that this incidence with Erin and Tekton and your own dealing with them may have led to frivolous and expensive legal matter. That was clear and took some honor and guts not to just look at your own interests, but Erin's and the reviewing community.

Newman

Major Contributor
While definitely a personal preference, is one I share - ALWAYS FASTER TO READ!

Not sure if it is the same for you - audiobooks are also an issue - just cannot sit thru a person reading to me at a glacial pace. Same when my family wants to read me something... err.. NO :D Just send me the link please.
I have to agree.

So many people post links to YT videos with no explanation, and I always think, "Pleeeease put a few TL/DR words for the video's key conclusions about the thread discussion."

Generally speaking a 10 minute video could be scanned for key points in written form in about 20-30 seconds, and a TL/DR absorbed in 5-10 seconds.

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another site has posted a re-cap:

Thanks! A decent recap overall - and I'm glad someone has posted a nice one-stop summary for anyone who's interested, and for posterity since @Eric Alexander has demonstrated a penchant for trying to edit and rewrite the record of what actually has happened.

However, I really wish that the piece would have supplemented the mention of Alexander's YouTube video commitment to publish measurements for all future Tekton speakers with the information that after taking down the video he subsequently publicly posted on Facebook that he's "under no obligation" to provide speaker measurements.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Another site has posted a re-cap:

That’s a good site btw for anyone looking for something a bit different to asr, quite scathing on all things audiophoo related

Sean_S

While definitely a personal preference, is one I share - ALWAYS FASTER TO READ!

Not sure if it is the same for you - audiobooks are also an issue - just cannot sit thru a person reading to me at a glacial pace. Same when my family wants to read me something... err.. NO :D Just send me the link please.

Anyways, not sure why I wanted to share - back to Tekton...
I suspect that the playback speed control is our mutual friend.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect that the playback speed control is our mutual friend.
It does not help .

It’s weird at 100x times the speed and still linear :) ( some make a crude time line to click on but still )

You want to scroll trough to the relevant part, for example computer settings tutorials are horrible this way .
If it’s a written tutorial I could just quickly scroll to the relevant part who often is a picture of the setting I just could not find :)

I think the current trend of making a video of everything is because people are slowly becoming illiterate .

For example for my current speakers there is a nice video on how to unbox them . Or you could look just at the pictograms printed on the box and get it in one second or less .

coonmanx

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
So far, i found the following:

audiokarma:
- Thread was deleted

audiogon
posted on March 17, but people started talking about the litigation on this thread later on

pinkfishmedia
posted on April 5

audioholics
posted April 6

audiogon
posted on April 9

stevehoffman
posted on April 10
- Closed on April 19

audiophilestyle
posted on April 10

psaudio
posted on April 10

audiogon
posted on April 12

diyaudio
posted on April 12
- Thread was closed

avsforum
posted on April 12

audioresurgence
posted April 13:

audiogon
posted on April 14

audiogon
posted on April 17

headphonesty
posted on April 18

diymobileaudio
posted on April 19

Let me know if I missed any.

update 2024-04-19: thanks to @MoreWatts more links added.
update 2024-04-22: added diymobileaudio

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let me know if I missed any.

Audiogon forums have several threads that address the situation: (Edit: Sorry @sweetchaos, I just noticed you referenced the 3rd one already).

Should Speaker Manufactures provide a Frequency Response Graph?

Eric at Tekton Designs has been battling two different reviewers who have posted measurements without his permission, using Klippel devices for their respective measurements...

Stereophile review of the $30,000 tekton speakers

We have had many discussions/arguments over tekton speakers in the past, mainly involving a couple posters who thought their $4000 tektons sounded better than the highest price Wilson’s and other high budget speakers. (Controversy is addressed in later pages).

Thin Line Between Critique and Courtrooms: A Dialogue on the Recent Audiophile Drama

Hey Audiogonians,
In the vast, vibrant universe of audio reviews, where the line between subjective opinion and objective analysis often blurs, a new saga unfolds.

They also have a thread about ASR that Amir responded in recently, plus one on measurements bias.

Whenever I peruse those forums, I feel like I need to shower afterwards... o_O

Last edited:

kschmit2

[...] However, I really wish that the piece would have supplemented the mention of Alexander's YouTube video commitment to publish measurements for all future Tekton speakers with the information that after taking down the video he subsequently publicly posted on Facebook that he's "under no obligation" to provide speaker measurements.
The article seems to have since been updated, as it now has a section on measurements at the very end.

Top Bottom