• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

dfiler

I edited my previous post to be less critical since details are scarce. Erin's follow-up will be quite telling.

Though this edit was done before I knew there were previous threats of litigation (or maybe even litigation) against other reviewers. Don't worry, I'm busy sharpening my pitchfork. Being a fan of objectivity, I want to see the evidence both in gear reviews and for public outrage. Let's see what was actually communicated. I'm assuming it was a threat of litigation given Erin's somewhat cryptic post. But I'd hate to make an assumption and escalate things inappropriately.

spigot

In the interests of fairness I'm starting a legal fund to encourage manufacturers to sue reviewers. If interested parties message me, the contributions can be sent directly to my paypal account, I'll then distribute these funds when I find my paypal password, might take a while.

Old Iron

I feel that that is missing the point. The review has been done. The right to publish it is what is at stake here.
Yes I agree. "The right to publish it is what is at stake here".
But after +30 years in the pro sound bushiness. Watching the losers become the winners just sucks.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Not sure if it's already been suggested, but why not divert a percentage of forum donor payments to a special fund for this purpose? It would only grow over time and should be easy to administer and distribute if and when needed.

KinAdam

Same reply was posted on Youthman's audio channel. Its what I believe what one might call, damage control.​

@TektonDesign

10 minutes ago
Would the Troubadour review be live today if it didn't contain any provable mistakes?

Yes- absolutely! Here are the facts... I am protecting my brand and I have no problem with a review [good or bad] so long as it doesn't contain any mistakes. The review contained a couple of measurement mistakes based on a couple of simple oversights. In all fairness to Erin, the Troubadour is a unique loudspeaker that would throw the best acoustical measurement experts a bit of a curve ball - the speaker is even unique to the point of being allowed a US patent.

The measurement oversights have been talked about between Erin and I and Erin has agreed to remeasure the speaker. I respectfully asked Erin to pull his review temporarily and we're working together to ensure the measurements he publishes are accurate.

I believe we've got everything figured out and expect his review to be published again soon.

Eric Alexander
President Tekton Design. LLC

Looks like he is doing damage control for the upcoming Axpona 2024 event.

Long time lurker of ASR, but this crap got me so angry that I finally made an account. My father always wanted to buy a pair of Tektons but I will be now telling him to look else where.

Katzz

screnn0.png

Youthman response to Eric comment

screen0002.png

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like he is doing damage control for the upcoming Axpona 2024 event.

Long time lurker of ASR, but this crap got me so angry that I finally made an account. My father always wanted to buy a pair of Tektons but I will be now telling him to look else where.
Welcome! There are plenty of good brands that compete with Tekton that don't have "CEO baggage". I am sure with your help your dad will end up with something excellent.

KinAdam

Welcome! There are plenty of good brands that compete with Tekton that don't have "owner baggage". I am sure with your help your dad will end up with something excellent.
thank you for the warm welcome. I have bought gear recommended by ASR community and gear highly not recommended, and either way i was happy because I knew what I was walking into due to all the data on this site. This community rocks!

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thank you for the warm welcome. I have bought gear recommended by ASR community and gear highly not recommended, and either way i was happy because I know what I was walking into because of all the data on this site. This community rocks!
That's what it's about! The recommendations here all tend go with a certain philosophy about what "good performance" means, but the more important thing is knowing what you're buying, and hopefully why, regardless of your preferences.

YesChickenNuggets

Ok I can donate. Good to know that I would never consider a Tekton product if this is their behaviour .
This right here, Boycott Tekton, they're clearly A######S. Don't give them another dime. Let's see what money they'll have to pay their lawyers with when their cashflow goes to 0.

Audiophiles + Cancel Culture.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
After reading Eric’s tirade above there is only one question we want answered…..

Is @Amir moonlighting as a dentist?, it would the certainty explain the offer of a £10,000 legal fund - have you ever seen a poor dentist.

AudioTodd

After reading Eric’s tirade above there is only one question we want answered…..

Is @Amir moonlighting as a dentist?, it would the certainty explain the offer of a £10,000 legal fund - have you ever seen a poor dentist.
Does Eric have the advanced equipment ASR has?

What would you call somebody who called themselves a “dentist” but didn’t have the equipment to do the work?

Would you go back if they told you their work was phenomenal and you just don't get it when you found the results wanting?

I understand people have different tastes and there are many reviewers who believe distortion and frequency response anomalies add excitement or dynamics or impact or air or whatever but this site is here to use high-level measurement equipment and describe the results with a small subjective content to see how they correlate.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does Eric have the advanced equipment ASR has?
You don't necessarily need anything fancy to get similar results to a Klippel. If Eric can look at Amir's or Erin's results and judge them as definitely wrong, then presumably he can do that above and beyond any measurement-based discrepancy that might exist between their methods.

But let's get real... he would have posted the measurements a long time ago if he was going to. Either he doesn't have any, they agree with Amir's and Erin's, or they look even worse.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't necessarily need anything fancy to get similar results to a Klippel. If Eric can look at Amir's or Erin's results and judge them as definitely wrong, then presumably he can do that above and beyond and measurement-based discrepancy that might exist between their methods.

But let's get real... he would have posted the measurements a long time ago if he was going to. Either he doesn't have any, they agree with Amir's and Erin's, or they look even worse.
Or he’s buying time to rent a Klippel and measure different ways until he gets something he sort likes. Data-mining, if you will. He’s already stated that he knows @amirm measured from the “wrong angle”, although how he knows that, I don’t know (I’m sure he could make up an explanation tho).

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
He’s already stated that he knows @amirm measured from the “wrong angle”, although how he knows that, I don’t know (I’m sure he could make up an explanation tho).
Simple. Amir clearly states, transparently, that he tests on the tweeter axis, as the CEA2034 requires (? I think, I'm no expert). But in subsequent dialog w/ Erin (there are some anecdotal references here on ASR and elsewhere), Eric says that the speaker is designed to be listened to directly on the woofer axis.

Of course nowhere (that I can find) in the speaker literature or in online FAQs is there any mention whatsoever that this (woofer axis) is the design intent; its all after-the-fact whining (whinging for the UK folks) from Eric. Also there is no quantified data from Eric to indicate that this positional change, if incorporated into measurements, will cause a meaningful difference in the conclusions.

Regardless, Amir never claimed to have measured the speakers "correctly" (which is ambiguous without a reference baseline) but claimed to have measured them on tweeter axis following CEA2034 protocol. The data published correctly reflects that test scenario.

Top Bottom