• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Latest BS Amplifier from Fosi - T3 with 2 preamp tubes, no output tubes or transformers - 50wpc???

SoNic

"Tube THD+N performance is below modern solid-state amps, even in class D"..Are you serious?
Yes. Tubes are not known for low distortion or low noise.
About 1% distortion and <90dB SNR are norm
People like them for other reasons. And that's fine.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes. Tubes are not known for low distortion or low noise.
About 1% distortion and <90dB SNR are norm
People like them for other reasons. And that's fine.
Okay, show me some tube amps that have lower distortion and noise, with the same power in the same price range as these:

"People like them for other reasons. And that's fine."
People can like what they want, of course. It's also fun that not everyone likes exactly the same thing.:)

You can tinker with tubes for various reasons. Even Amir would like to fiddle with a tube amp, if he had the time:

Amir:
"I love the simplicity of tube amps like this. There is just so little to them. If I were less busy, I wouldn't mind playing with one to get it to optimal performance."

SoNic

Okay, show me some tube amps that have lower distortion and noise, with the same power in the same price range as these:
I think there is a misunderstanding. I said that the tubes are NOT known for low noise and distortion. And their numbers are below solid state.
What is your point?

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think there is a misunderstanding. I said that the tubes are NOT known for low noise and distortion. And their numbers are below solid state.
What is your point?
I think I misunderstood. When you said below, I interpreted it as lower, under, below in a way lower distortion and noise than solid state/class D.
But when you say below, you mean under in the form of worse. That is, higher distortion and noise than solid state/class D?

Basi1Faw1ty

Meaning of travesty in English: Something that fails to represent the values and qualities that it is intended to represent, in a way that is shocking or offensive:

Photo from Audiophonics, who sells it for 139€
View attachment 244058
View attachment 244059
I moved my dedicated two channel set-up out of the living room but wanted something small and hidden for casual listening, so I took a chance on this amp for $103 and a pair Jamo S803 speakers in white for $122 shipped. Amp and speakers are hiding in book shelves with about 8 feet of separation.

BT works decent. Tone controls are decent. Sound is unexpectedly good up to 1:00. I’m probably more of an unsuspecting noob when it comes to tubes, but I like the way this set-up sounds. The tubes probably don’t add much and I know it’s not for critical listening or a serious audiophile, but it’s not really a BS amplifier.

Attachments

• A1018BB9-577B-4168-B3D7-12C5EA681D4E.jpeg
    A1018BB9-577B-4168-B3D7-12C5EA681D4E.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 237
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I moved my dedicated two channel set-up out of the living room but wanted something small and hidden for casual listening, so I took a chance on this amp for $103 and a pair Jamo S803 speakers in white for $122 shipped. Amp and speakers are hiding in book shelves with about 8 feet of separation.

BT works decent. Tone controls are decent. Sound is unexpectedly good up to 1:00. I’m probably more of an unsuspecting noob when it comes to tubes, but I like the way this set-up sounds. The tubes probably don’t add much and I know it’s not for critical listening or a serious audiophile, but it’s not really a B0S amplifier.
The "travesty" was passing it off as a tube amp - it appears to be a solid-state amp with a couple of low-power preamp tubes somewhere in the circuit. And it is cute and cool looking.

Glad to hear that it sounds decent.

Last edited:

SoNic

The "travesty" was passing it off as a tube amp
The travesty is assuming that "tube amp" means "amp with tubes in the final stage" or "only tubes amp". Words have meaning, just not what we always assume :)

It's not defined anywhere what "tube amp" means, so even if only one stage is tubed, it can technically qualify for that naming.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
IMG_20221010_115238.jpg
I bought it because I really like it aesthetically, without expecting who knows what audio performance.
In the data sheet on amazon italy it was very clear that they were valves in the pre section with class D chips for the final amplification.
The build is surprisingly solid and satisfying for the price, and the sound didn't feel like it was broken in any way.
It's not BS in any way
IMG_20221010_115241.jpg

D

Deleted member 48726

2 x 50W reminds me of those active 1000W PMPO plastic PC speakers :facepalm:. They usually emit this amount of power during those few milliseconds where they burn out for good ... :p
It's the SPL from the fire truck when it pulls up with sirens blasting in front of the house set on fire from the PC speakers' great balls of fire..

Top Bottom