• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KRK Classic 5 Review (Studio Monitor)

Blew

I am looking to replace my current JBL 104 monitors, which are far from great sounding, so am considering buying these or the JBL 305P MKII reviewed below:

I will mostly use them for playing music while I work, when I don't feel like wearing headphones. Ideally I would like the monitors to be placed on my desk relatively close to the wall (brick, 10 to 20cm from my desk), so I like the idea of the front port on these Classic 5s. However, I could make space for speaker stands on each side of the desk if necessary. I am concerned about active monitors that use DSP, such as in the 305P, as it's another ADC/DAC process that would (in theory) negate the point of having a decent output DAC and limit the capability of my system. I will probably use software DSP via EQ APO anyway.

I also like the fact that these are class A amplified and have RCA input for flexibility. I really love the class A sound of my Singxer SA-1 over other class D headphone amps I've heard, and do like a little "warmth", so figure that the class A amplification of these monitors would be a good thing. The RCA input means that I could output directly from my Topping E50 to the speakers without requiring the XLR/TRS output from , as the TRS balanced out from the E50 is connected to the SA-1. I currently use RCA from the SA-1 to my current JBL 104 monitors and don't detect any ground loop distortion, but haven't tested with balanced from the SA-1 due to not having the appropriate cables and the 104s are not great to begin with.

I know the 305P MKII measures better, but have also found that there are aspects to speaker sound quality that aren't measured yet, so I wonder if these would be a better fit for my system and use case. Eg the 305P are known to hiss a bit, which is too low to be detected in the measurements. I managed to audition the 305P in my local store and they sounded "good" but not "great", which I guess is expected for the price class they're in. The problem is the auditioning environment is far from ideal as there is a lot of external noise in the store and I am only able to use my phone with a horrible dongle DAC to test music on them, so I couldn't give them very close attention.

Am I on the right line of thinking here regarding the front porting, DSP, class A amplification, direct RCA DAC output bypassing the SA-1 of these being advantages over the 305P?, Or are these features not as relevant as I'm assuming they are and the 305Ps measurements clearly make them a better choice? The ROKIT RP5 G4 are an option too.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking to replace my current JBL 104 monitors, which are far from great sounding, so am considering buying these or the JBL 305P MKII reviewed below:

I will mostly use them for playing music while I work, when I don't feel like wearing headphones. Ideally I would like the monitors to be placed on my desk relatively close to the wall (brick, 10 to 20cm from my desk), so I like the idea of the front port on these Classic 5s. However, I could make space for speaker stands on each side of the desk if necessary. I am concerned about active monitors that use DSP, such as in the 305P, as it's another ADC/DAC process that would (in theory) negate the point of having a decent output DAC and limit the capability of my system. I will probably use software DSP via EQ APO anyway.

I also like the fact that these are class A amplified and have RCA input for flexibility. I really love the class A sound of my Singxer SA-1 over other class D headphone amps I've heard, and do like a little "warmth", so figure that the class A amplification of these monitors would be a good thing. The RCA input means that I could output directly from my Topping E50 to the speakers without requiring the XLR/TRS output from , as the TRS balanced out from the E50 is connected to the SA-1. I currently use RCA from the SA-1 to my current JBL 104 monitors and don't detect any ground loop distortion, but haven't tested with balanced from the SA-1 due to not having the appropriate cables and the 104s are not great to begin with.

I know the 305P MKII measures better, but have also found that there are aspects to speaker sound quality that aren't measured yet, so I wonder if these would be a better fit for my system and use case. Eg the 305P are known to hiss a bit, which is too low to be detected in the measurements. I managed to audition the 305P in my local store and they sounded "good" but not "great", which I guess is expected for the price class they're in. The problem is the auditioning environment is far from ideal as there is a lot of external noise in the store and I am only able to use my phone with a horrible dongle DAC to test music on them, so I couldn't give them very close attention.

Am I on the right line of thinking here regarding the front porting, DSP, class A amplification, direct RCA DAC output bypassing the SA-1 of these being advantages over the 305P?, Or are these features not as relevant as I'm assuming they are and the 305Ps measurements clearly make them a better choice? The ROKIT RP5 G4 are an option too.
The 305p is a fairly good speaker from looking at the review here on ASR, and likewise the KRK Classic 5 is not too bad. One thing to be sure on though is that the 305p will hiss....I have the 308p and I certainly wouldn't them on my desk at my computer, the hiss would drive me up the wall when they were just sat idle - they're fine for living room duties though, just not close on a desk. Of course when the music starts playing then the hiss is totally irrelevant regardless of how close you are.

Blew

One thing to be sure on though is that the 305p will hiss....I have the 308p and I certainly wouldn't them on my desk at my computer, the hiss would drive me up the wall when they were just sat idle - they're fine for living room duties though, just not close on a desk. Of course when the music starts playing then the hiss is totally irrelevant regardless of how close you are.
Yes I'm concerned that the hiss may do my head in when the room is quiet. These 104s used to hiss quite badly too, but I managed to drastically reduce it when I used balanced TRS to XLR cables between my E50 DAC and SA-1 headphones amp. Now the hiss is much reduced even though I'm outputting unbalanced RCA to them. I guess there was RFI noise or a ground loop in the system somewhere that was being amplified by the speakers.

I notice that you're outputting unbalanced sources to the 308P in your setups. Could that be a factor in the hiss you are getting too?

Top Bottom