• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

gorb

Forum Donor
Got a few more in the last few months. Spyderco Para 3 lightweight, Spyderco Dragonfly 2, and Benchmade Emissary:
Onuge6O.jpg

bkdc

Forum Donor
Kitchen knives for me. Too many Japanese lasers in my drawer.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D9C1901A-534F-49C9-846D-C98A57A1F1E1.jpeg

Attachments

• A6256566-57AA-402B-8489-451D0FDA4581.jpeg
    A6256566-57AA-402B-8489-451D0FDA4581.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 2458BD8A-8872-40CA-B893-C30CA98063BC.jpeg
    2458BD8A-8872-40CA-B893-C30CA98063BC.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 45
  • A18D4552-16B1-462B-9B23-A91E60AF167D.jpeg
    A18D4552-16B1-462B-9B23-A91E60AF167D.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 49

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Kitchen knives for me.
I picked up a Henckels 13901-200 (8" chefs knife.) for ~$80 and bought a diamond sharpening hone for another $35 that I have used to get a very nice edge on the Henckels. It slices plastic wrap very nicely now. The steel took a very nice edge. I also managed to get my little EDC SOG key knife sharpened as well. It's very sharp now and I must be careful with it or risk cutting myself. I use it fairly often as it is so handy and sharp.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
have a Leatherman Micra on my keychain. Such a handy tool.

LMmicra.jpg

Scrappy

EDC carry for work/ outta the house I have a Leatherman Free K2 non-serrated 3.3” blade. Real handy bit is the “awl,” tip is the small flat-blade. Has a decent bevel to it, medium-sized dull blade.

Also carry on work days Leatherman Crunch, med-small locking pliers(!) multitool. Also with a nice full-serrated “sheep’s foot” blade, file, varying flat blades, and a real #1 Phillips, which is very useful.

Day off “pajama” knife is a Leatherman Crater I bought years ago. Coincidentally has the best bottle opener... ha

Lost my Dime, still have a Splice somewhere. Liked the lil Gerbers enough, but Leathermans I have are real good.

Hold my beer, lookin for a scissor tool to put on belt ha!

Edit: not to bring flashlights into it.. I swear by my Streamlight Microstream 3.7v rechargeable I keep in other pocket. Clips to hat brim; 10/10 reccomend. I scoffed years ago about a $30 tiny 1oz flashlight, but it’s great.

Last edited:

Peterinvan

I'm a simple man who sticks to whetstones and a strop.

I use a 1000 grit stone to restore the edge on all our knives and scissors. It takes a bit of practice to get the angle constant.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Kitchen knives for me. Too many Japanese lasers in my drawer.
Science confirms it's impossible to have too many kitchen knives. I have some of the research at my house. If you want to read the white paper you'll also get to learn the addresses and phone numbers of thousands of people.

sidenote: holy cow, it's been 5 years since you left DC?!? You missed out on some good ECGs.

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
My wife wont touch my kitchen knifes because they are kept sharp, shaving sharp. I think I’ve owned and sold dozens on Kitchenknifeforums where the chefs hang out. I’m down to some delicate lasers and some daily use knives.

For daily use, Masamoto VG in 210, 240mm, Ashi 240 wa-gyuto, and the legendary Konosuke HD2 240 wa-gyuto. I have two santokus which I hate— Ashi Swedish steel 180mm and an old Akifusa/Haruyuki/Ikeda. They are basically used like nakiri for small veggie work.

For delicate or for partitioning meat, Takamura Pro HSPS gyuto and sujihiki.

For brute force bone cutting, Tokiro yo-deba in 210 and 240. For fabricating poultry, an old honosuke.

Cheap bread knife - Tojiro ITK

A dozen petty knives and paring knives - Kramer SG2 and Ryusen Blazen for delicate work that needs a sharp paring. Otherwise I abuse my parings which include brittle powder steels.

And I own too many whetstones. Near complete progression of Chosera stones and all the Shapton glass stones as well as chosera diamond resins for fast work of hard powder steels.

bkdc

Forum Donor
I wondered why he was wearing his bathrobe for the video. It was kind of strange........
That’s Murray Carter. He is a master blade smith with both Japanese heritage/training (17th generation Yoshimoto Bladesmith) and master bladesmith of the American Bladesmith Society. He dresses in Japanese garb often.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That’s Murray Carter. He is a master blade smith with both Japanese heritage/training (17th generation Yoshimoto Bladesmith) and master bladesmith of the American Bladesmith Society. He dresses in Japanese garb often.
The one who dressed best for knife videos was Salty...

jensgk

Forum Donor
Here are my personal (non-kitchen) knifes :)

1. Vangedal Senior Scout: This is my former scout knife. I use it when walking in woods or nature.
2. Victorinox Swiss Champ: I use this all around the house and garden.
3. Victorinox Rally(?): Used to be my everyday carry (EDC), but not any more.
4. Stone age knife, that I found in a field near my childhood home. I don't use that for anything except for display :)
5. Because of strict Danish knife laws, it is no longer allowed to carry knifes around for EDC. Therefore I have these two tools for my EDC.

knive - Kopi.jpg

Peterinvan

The best Leatherman I have owned is the Skeletool CX
The blade is very sharp and has a safety catch and effortless one hand opening.
The pliers action is smooth
It even comes with Robertson (square) tips for us Canadians!

Attachments

• Leatherman Skeletool CX.jpg
    Leatherman Skeletool CX.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 46

Peterinvan

My wife wont touch my kitchen knifes because they are kept sharp, shaving sharp. I think I’ve owned and sold dozens on Kitchenknifeforums where the chefs hang out. I’m down to some delicate lasers and some daily use knives.
My wife is a wood carver and appreciates sharp knives.
Some say that a sharp kitchen knife is safer than a dull one.

bkdc

Forum Donor
My wife is a wood carver and appreciates sharp knives.
Some say that a sharp kitchen knife is safer than a dull one.

I wish my wife had some appreciation. She literally does 100% of her cooking with a paring knife or a petty knife.
I can’t bear to watch. Something that should take one clean slice takes 20 sawing motions. A chopping task that should take 15 seconds takes 4 minutes. She refuses to change. And I love her. But sometimes, even she does ask me to sharpen her blunted knife.

Top Bottom