• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a simple man who sticks to whetstones and a strop.

Strange,
I thought that knife sharpening is done in one direction only, from the base to the the tip ... :rolleyes:
I admit I didn't watch the 3 hour's video though.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is pressure to get a knife set in a nice wood block. Should we blow $1,000 on a Wusthof set? $1000 is more money than I would care to spend on mass produced knives.

With respect to pans, we need a set that will work on gas or induction.

Any thoughts on cooking with stainless steel?

There are good options, secondhand on eBay. Missing knives may be replaced individually. Most of us really need just three: paring, 8" basic knife and bread knife.

The Victorinox "Fibrox" gets my recommendation as a good value.

Some of Chinese made knives are pretty good, I like my 15°V paring knife but the larger 8" knife wasn't as finely made. They both sharpen easily with my ancient EZELap diamond hones.

*note*
The straight steel rod in knife kits only straightens worn edges - you will need some method to sharpen your knives.

I use both cast iron and clad stainless pans on my cheapo Cuisinart counter top induction heater. Cast iron gets hot slower, stays hot longer.

Stainless is easier to clean.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
EDC - Spyderco really is the Genelec of folding knives, in my opinion; I'd say the outstanding models are the PM2, Delica and Endura. I've had a crush on the Microtech LUDT since forever, but I can't abide their proprietary screws, high price and following of the "impossible to sharpen supersteels" (e.g. M390, S30V/S35VN really is my limit, VG10 is the best EDC steel) meme, sadly.
Big outdoor knives - Fallkniven is expensive but worth it, Bark River A2 knives are really nice for people who want a more traditional "fashion".
Kitchen - I use Opinel for everything: their smooth bladed table MA-5 N°125 and the performant and cheap Intempora line (full tang 12C27M blade and robust handle).
Sharpening - Spyderco ceramic stones for everything.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use some of the Victorinox Fibrox and some Kyocera ceramic knives in the kitchen.

EDC pocket carry is the venerable Victorinox Swiss Army Electrician's model.

Kayaking or other outdoor utility knives are various Morikniv's and Silky Gomboy folding saws. A folding saw is really something if you've never used a good one. Much better than a small axe or hatchet.

1621825250758.png

Ceramic knife above and Silky Gomboy saw below.
1621825410407.png

And the basic generic Morikniv. These are pretty decent and inexpensive enough you can have several.
1621825482454.png

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I use some of the Victorinox Fibrox and some Kyocera ceramic knives in the kitchen.

EDC pocket carry is the venerable Victorinox Swiss Army Pioneer model.

Kayaking or other outdoor utility knives are various Morikniv's and Silky Gomboy folding saws. A folding saw is really something if you've never used a good one. Much better than a small axe or hatchet.

View attachment 131635
Ceramic knife above and Silky Gomboy saw below.
View attachment 131636

And the basic generic Morikniv. These are pretty decent and inexpensive enough you can have several.
View attachment 131637
Really recommend the Mora Kansbol for an incredible knife for the price ($34~40 in the US).

Eneko

And the history of this one is quite a nice one (from böker):
Castle Burg is a landmark of the Bergisches Land, rising above the river Wupper near the Boker Manufactory. Count Adolf II. von Berg had the castle constructed on the foundations of a 10th-century fortress. It was finished in 1133. Today, it is one of the biggest castles in western Germany, inseparably connected to the Duchy of Berg and the Counts von Berg (1068-1225). Even today, Burg Castle still reflects the enormous wealth of the dynasty and their far-reaching influence in Northrhine-Westphalia. Count Engelbert II. von Berg was also the Archbishop of Cologne. We keep in touch with the historians of Burg Castle because the corporate history of Boker can be traced back to 1674, when the tree was first entered as the company's trade symbol for tools, and because our history is closely connected to that of the Bergisches Land. Right now, large parts of the castle are being faithfully restored. This includes the replacement of ancient solid oak planks. This inspired us to preserve the historic material for future generations, skillfully turning it into handle scales in our Manufactory. This was the foundation of our knife series Boker Schloss Burg, comprising seven traditional knife styles steeped in history. Apart from the scales of historic oak wood sourced from Burg Castle (Schloss Burg), the knives also feature brass liners and blades made from O1 carbon steel. Highlighting the authenticity of the knives, the blades are finished with a special acid wash, which also protects them from harmful environmental impact. All styles are handcrafted by Boker Manufactory Solingen as a strictly limited edition of 1133 pieces worldwide. They come with a new version of the historic Boker tree symbol. The classic Boker Trapper derives its name from the American outdoorsmen who roamed the North American prairie as hunters and trappers. They were among the most important discoverers and scouts for the European settlers, often being the first to make contact with indigenous peoples. Its slender build makes this traditional knife a perfect everyday companion. With individual serial number.
E75509AA-65C2-454F-AF60-AD166E5BE807.jpeg

Darc

I am a big fan of melee weapons - I get one for every Christmas or birthday. Edged weapons are pounding around my apartment, because I can't fit on the walls anymore - here is a fresh photo of what I have at hand along with my favorite knife. I always have a knife and a pocket knife with me and they are very useful. It all started with MMOs, I got a sword replica, then a replica gun from EFT (my favorite game) and then I fell in love with melee weapons
Resized_20220111_005308.jpeg

Darc

Nice - good price too ;-)
Do you see any difference between the $ 200 and $ 100 knives?

gorb

Forum Donor
Nice - good price too ;-)
Do you see any difference between the $ 200 and $ 100 knives?

I did get it for much less - $132. Most of my knives are fairly cheap - $20-60 or so. Quality of construction and ergonomics seem to be fairly comparable among my small collection. This Benchmade and one of my Kershaws have nicer steel however - the Benchmade has CPM-S30V and the Kershaw Link has CPM-S20V. The rest are budget steel: 8Cr14MoV, 420HC, or 14C28N.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Don't have a knife problem. When I was hiking, I had a nice Case locking with a bulky enough handle you could hold, not those ego flat hand cutters people buy to look at. Who would want to hold in their hand a sharp-edged slab with a belt buckle on it? Bad tool design.

For years as a field service tech, I carried a Victorinox "tinker" as it was 90% of the tools I needed to fix computers. Knives are tools. But some people collect buttons, so whatever.

My most used knife looks like this:

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 92

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My daily carry pocket knife is on my keychain and it's a great little tool to have at all times. It's a lock back and is all stainless steel.

KEY102-CP_product_alt_4__71518__58087.1579023048.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
I stopped buying knives by stopping the knife forum. (Several years ago. I don't even remember the name of that major knife forum.) I found that the habit comes from seeing them. You see and the desire arises. :) And some of those guys are good photographers. ...And I'm not. Just a few weeks ago i tried - again - to take photos of my Japanese kitchen knife - still not good enough.

Most are at my other place...at least I hope they are. One ZT - one of the first - awesome knife, a Spyderco rescue knife - orange with non-pointed serrated blade - needs sharpening and my Spyderco sharpener is there, but I didn't want to try sharpening the serrated blade ...a Japanese fighting knife - like the kitchen knife, made by an artisan shop, all one-offs / or "semi-one-off" ...a small hunting/general-purpose fixed blade knife, made by a guy on the forum ..and 2 little Sanrenmu pocket knives, like folding scalpels, very short blades.

Here I have the Japanese cooking knife, a little Sanrenmu - the EDC - they're cheap - best value-for-money, and a BAHCO fixed blade - we bought a few of them at a local tool shop - inexpensive, solid, sharp, good Swedish stainless steel.

So I did a quick search for 'knife' in my fotos folder...the Kiku Matsuda is there but I'll have to look further for some more. And find something to balance the phone on, don't feel like getting the tripod+Canon.
Not a good photo but at least it's only 193 Kb...

1641904279509.png

...That's some sort of mould on the handles. :confused:

Top Bottom