• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had seen those HF knives and wondered if they were any good. Unfortunately it appears they do not have them anymore.

There are some other cheap ceramics. Lots of reviews say the cheaper ones are good, but break or chip more easily than Kyocera which itself can break or chip sometimes. I haven't tried any of those.
#88, as long as you don't chop down some logs in the back of the house, you should be good with ceramics or just put a lanyard on it so no one can take it out of the kitchen!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kyocera ceramic kitchen knives were warrantied for life (and still maybe?)
They are no longer warrantied (for 'normal wear-and-tear) and they no longer cover free sharpening services. (Link)
202210_KyoceraBlackC.jpg

This set of Kyocera "Innovation Black Ceramic" knives is $270:
Feature a patented, proprietary ceramic-fused blade that KYOCERA inventors developed for optimal cutting performance while enhancing the durability 2x more than traditional ceramic blades.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"It Keeeeeeels"!

Those who have watched the "Forged in Fire" TV series should have gotten a chuckle out of the above line!;)
IMO: Very educational... but without the infusion of sex-drugs-rock-n-roll politics-race-n-religion!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure how long this "RatWorx 'MRX Chief" has been on the market.
202301_RatWorxChiefMRX.png

Notice the Indian motorcycle (gas tank...) influence but be impressed by the elegance of its chain-drive!o_O
At least, I was! I am trying to justify owning one because it is clever and vintage-inspired.

Hi-tech features include: *CPM-154 Wharncliffe blade, *mini roller-chain operated automatic, *nested (L/R) extension springs, *button-op, *tip-down carry.
Ignoring the price (@$350) and auto-open; at 8.75" (22cm.) AOL and 3.625" (9.2cm.) blade makes it probably a felony to carry in some states (for sure, in CA) and can land you in jail at any TSA checkpoint.
I'd own it if it was a <2.5" (~6cm) blade but it is just too big as an EDC, /imo/

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure how long this "RatWorx 'MRX Chief" has been on the market.
View attachment 256180
Notice the Indian motorcycle (gas tank...) influence but be impressed by the elegance of its chain-drive!o_O
At least, I was! I am trying to justify owning one because it is clever and vintage-inspired.

Hi-tech features include: *CPM-154 Wharncliffe blade, *mini roller-chain operated automatic, *nested (L/R) extension springs, *button-op, *tip-down carry.
Ignoring the price (@$350) and auto-open; at 8.75" (22cm.) AOL and 3.625" (9.2cm.) blade makes it probably a felony to carry in some states (for sure, in CA) and can land you in jail at any TSA checkpoint.
I'd own it if it was a <2.5" (~6cm) blade but it is just too big as an EDC, /imo/
It's obvious, lumpy and going to weigh down your pockets and wear them out.
This is effective for EDC it comes with a edge but it needs a diamond hone across it a few times to get the tip pointy sharp and make it cut paper. So it will take a edge but requires input from the operator...lol. It's nasty in hand too. I got the stainless steel version and I think I saw a black one at some time too.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's obvious, lumpy and going to weigh down your pockets and wear them out.
This is effective for EDC it comes with a edge but it needs a diamond hone across it a few times to get the tip pointy sharp and make it cut paper. So it will take a edge but requires input from the operator...lol. It's nasty in hand too. I got the stainless steel version and I think I saw a black one at some time too.
it's that timeless casio<>rolex argument, or the bic<>montblanc or the receiver<>separates argument. no winners<>losers!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
it's that timeless casio<>rolex argument.
Then somebody could probably benefit from making them in a more classic finish and style. The format of the knife works really well as a final knife or just a lightweight.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then somebody could probably benefit from making them in a more classic finish and style. The format of the knife works really well as a final knife or just a lightweight.
No, No! This is like an original concept and is an automatic (switchblade type).
No, Prince does not do a better Hendrix than Jimi himself.:p

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, No! This is like an original concept and is an automatic (switchblade type).
No, Prince does not do a better Hendrix than Jimi himself.:p
Funny a person can open carry a sword in Canada if they want to but no switchblade knives. Very bad... Gravity knives are bad too... I've learned to flick it open with certain knives. A long Turkish knife can work welll but may need a break-in period to loosen it up.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you legally carry a knife in Canada?

It is perfectly legal to own knives and swords that are not prohibited by design in Canada, so long as your purpose for purchasing and/or carrying it is to use it as a tool. Remember, Canadian law does not allow you to carry a knife for the purpose of "self defense". :D

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
08144D4D-1DDB-4325-981C-54F67D636B9A.jpeg
I’ve “lost” a couple of knives to TSA but I usually remembered before getting in line.
I just pass them onto an employee. Better than confiscating at the checkpoint and usually not worth missing my flight to take back to the car.

I carry every day and have no issues in buildings, bars (not often but do)

It stays clipped to my pocket and o forget to take it off most days until going to bed/changing night clothes.

This is my EDC. Need to sharpen it soon.

Attachments

• 8CF39676-AA7A-408F-BA23-89941DDF3078.jpeg
    8CF39676-AA7A-408F-BA23-89941DDF3078.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 39

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For any members interested in kitchen knives there will be a fun event in the Washington, DC area on July 16 featuring half-dozen or so knifemakers, a couple sharpeners, and a vast expanse (expense?) of knives from makers all over the world. It's geared towards Japanese and Japanese-style knives, but there are usually some US and European vintage pieces as well . Attendees contribute to the food and drink. It's mainly cooks. chefs and home cooks, so no limp rotisserie chickens from the grocery store. Last year knives from a lot of emerging US makers were on-hand. Send me a DM if you want more info.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't even look at knife magazines anymore and go treasure hunting on aliexpress for EDC knives, and I have landed on some impressive pocket knives.
My current daily EDC has been this small one:
202305_KnifeTwoSunsTS314.jpg

But I got tired of it....:( and bought these two new finds:
202305_Knives2xSmallEDC.jpg

Both are under 14cm and there is no such thing as "2-day delivery" like amazon et al....:eek: but I can wait.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using a TwoSun today.

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 11.05.46.jpeg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But I got tired of it....:( and bought these two new finds:
202305_Knives2xSmallEDC.jpg
M390 is considered to be in the "premium steels" category; whereas, *CPM-154/N690 are tagged in the "high-end steels" and *A2/D2 are "mid-range steels" categories... then, you go down to the *pot-metals, like 440C [<<:mad:]
The knife's *edge-retention, *corrosion-resistance, *toughness and *ease-of-sharpening are the 4 major criteria each is graded on.
Yes! I guess, similar to *FR, *THD, *SINAD, *IMD criteria.
202305_KnifeM390-2.jpg

This one is a quitie!
M390, ceramic-bearings, flipper, purple titanium handle, a liner-lock and a key-chain clip.
Notice that circled torx screw? I did too.
I have NO IDEA what purpose it serves.
Notice the inside of the liner locker that has been machine sanded? I did too.
I have NO IDEA what purpose that serves either.:oops:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
M390 is considered to be in the "premium steels" category; whereas, *CPM-154/N690 are tagged in the "high-end steels" and *A2/D2 are "mid-range steels" categories... then, you go down to the *pot-metals, like 440C [<<:mad:]
The knife's *edge-retention, *corrosion-resistance, *toughness and *ease-of-sharpening are the 4 major criteria each is graded on.
Yes! I guess, similar to *FR, *THD, *SINAD, *IMD criteria.
View attachment 287632
This one is a quitie!
M390, ceramic-bearings, flipper, purple titanium handle, a liner-lock and a key-chain clip.
Notice that circled torx screw? I did too.
I have NO IDEA what purpose it serves.
Notice the inside of the liner locker that has been machine sanded? I did too.
I have NO IDEA what purpose that serves either.:oops:
Cute with the purple. This could cause some damage around the campfire doing tasks.
But my heart is here.>

DACslut

I found this one for my brother as a birthday gift. It won't win any quality awards but it's pretty!

81yEvkJvb9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Top Bottom