• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
...on a Wusthof set?

We love our Wusthof Classic set. Pretty much all knife sizes. Even often peel vegetables and cut proteins with the (smallest) steak knifes... And the wooden block is handy to store the knifes and a honing rod.

IMG_1438.jpg

PaulD

We love our Wusthof Classic set. Pretty much all knife sizes. Even often peel vegetables and cut proteins with the (smallest) steak knifes... And the wooden block is handy to store the knifes and a honing rod.

View attachment 130791
Nice granite bench top! (My father was a stone mason) It is likely harder than your knives though so it's easy to blunt or damage them!

Last edited:

TimF

Forum Donor
Japanese tuna knives are interesting but I have no use in them. These are mostly inexpensive knives bought through AliExpress just for curiosity.

DSC01959-1.jpg

OP
digitalfrost

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
My wife wants a knife set in a nice wood block. Should we blow $1,000 on a Wusthof set?
I would not buy a knife block. It's more like an acccessoire to show of IMHO than something you actually use. You end up paying for a lot of knives you will not use.

Do you really need a >= 20cm chef's knife and all those other knives that come with the block? You know what you like to use now. Buy that. Nothing more.

I think most people will be totally happy with 2 knives in the kitchen: I have a "big" cooking knife that is 16cm in length and I do almost everything with that (japanese bunka bocho style). I wouldn't want a larger knife. I takes up space on the table and really I don't need it. 16-18cm is perfect IMHO. And then you want maybe a smaller knife for finer tasks.

The Wüsthof knives are not bad. I'd look at the Classic Ikon´for a start. But you really are opening pandora's box here. There is a lot of choice available. I'd also look at the Zwilling Diplôme series. My personal recommendation would be a Tojiro DP 3 F807.

OP
digitalfrost

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
What about sharpening systems? I just bought a Lansky system, very poor quality.
For pocket knives, I bought a KME that I'm happy with: https://www.kmesharp.com/kmeprknshsyd.html It's expensive, but the super-steels are hard to sharpen without diamond stones. The KME stones are good and you can get really nice edges with this. There's plenty of YouTube videos if you want to take a look.
For larger (long) knives, such as kitchen knives it's not really usable IMHO. I use japanese water stones for these.

The Spyderco Sharpmaker could be worth a look. It's not that expensive and knife size doesn't matter.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
What about sharpening systems? I just bought a Lansky system, very poor quality

The Edge Pro is considered by many as one of the better guided systems - if you have money to burn:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFFY8JI/

There are, however, a number of similar geometry clones in the $30 to $50 range, as patents have run out. I use one (no longer available) very similar to this RUIXIN:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089GLHRNV/
Stones wear and clog, so I have replaced them with same dimension thin plywood strips, with small vertical sections of bamboo skewer as mounting tabs, to which I afix strips of black carbide paper - 400 to 2000 grit. Always fresh - always consistent. Use baby oil/mineral oil ' not water. For kitchen knives you don't need to go above 2000 grit black paper - no matter what else you may read. Higher grit black paper can be found in AutoZone or similar auto supply stores.

Last edited:

pLudio

Forum Donor
BTW, knives with a full bolster are a bit trickier to sharpen on stones at least, where it easily gets in the way.

Last edited:

astr0b0y

Stones wear and clog, so I have replaced them with same dimension thin plywood strips, with small vertical sections of bamboo skewer as mounting tabs, to which I afix strips of black carbide paper - 400 to 2000 grit.

Thanks for the RUIXIN, will give it a go. I really like the consistency that these systems promise and would like to find one that delivered.
Can you post a pick of your plywood+skewer set up please? Having a hard time picturing it.

I spent all of my 20s cooking in kitchens with all sorts of toys. I get by at home now with a chefs knife and cleaver. The other one in this pic was given to me by a martial arts trainer from the same period of time. I've never used it so its still super sharp.

IMG_4531.jpeg

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Giant Mouse Ace Biblio with micarta scales, and a Kershaw Leek with carbon-composite scales. The Kershaw is what is usually in my pocket.

Plus a few Chinese knives from MassDrop that are quite good, all with G10 scales. And a hand-made fixed-blade sheath knife from a guy in Alaska.

Rick "pics not handy" Denney

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Can you post a pick of your plywood+skewer set up please? Having a hard time picturing it.

Unfortunately setup is now at my Summer camp. Let's try a diagram :)
Below is a front, 'edge-on ' view of the carbide paper carrier..

xxxx is 1/8" plywood carbide paper carrier
_____ is carbide paper

I is about 3/8" piece of bamboo skewers inserted and glued vertically into plywood carrier

I>>>>>>>>>> >>I

I cut the paper to carrier size. Punch holes at ends matching skewer location. Wet bottom of paper (as well as surface) with baby oil. Surface tension keeps paper stuck on carrier.

Assy replaces the stone. Obviously, with paper grit side down to abrade knife edge. Skewer stubs also provide a forward/backward stroke stop.

Ok?

Last edited:
Top Bottom