• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Speaker Review

NoxMorbis

I don't think that's it - it's that trained listeners are much more attuned to listen to flaws. So naturally if they hear a flaw, they will be pickier about what constitut a truly great speaker. I took Harman's freely available listening course(on mobile, so can't find the link right now) and that alone was revealing for helping figure out flaws. Just because I can tell flaws in speaker more easily doesn't mean I enjoy them less though.
"Just because I can tell flaws in speaker more easily doesn't mean I enjoy them less though." Good point, but no flaws is always better? I surely wished those Pioneers for 129.00 tested here were still available so I can listen to them.

NoxMorbis

I downloaded it, but right now I have to run out to catch the sunset in Ventura... <arnold> I'll be back </arnold> :)
I was born in Ventura, 2020 Sunset Drive, Hobson Heights. I've also lived in a tent for a while.

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

You are right on @Teeter! Listening enjoyment is subjective, according to how and what we hear, and of course, we all know the important role room acoustics/treatment plays. I'm more of a 2 channel guy, and though I agree with the importance of considering measurements, I see so many getting lost in the data, thus missing the point - enjoying the music. I am sending back a pair of Audioengine A5+s, which the R-41M's replaced, due to their sounding far too neutral as well. I guess I like a lot of spice when it comes to music, leaving the less spicey (speakers/tubes), to the "audiophiles".
But if they sound neutral, isn't that a god thing, since you can DSP (EQ) in what you need?

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

Not me that's for sure.
I actually had an 'audiophile' friend in the mid or late 1980s who bought a very expensive system, which included some 4' tall million dollar Klipsch speakers. He was adamant they should never have the tone control on the amplifier touched, to "make sure the music is how the engineer wanted you to hear it, to realistically reproduce it." They sounded flat and like shit to the rest of us: No bottom end warmth, just flat, grey sounding, like listening to a huge transistor radio, but loud. lol

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually had an 'audiophile' friend in the mid or late 1980s who bought a very expensive system, which included some 4' tall million dollar Klipsch speakers. He was adamant they should never have the tone control on the amplifier touched, to "make sure the music is how the engineer wanted you to hear it, to realistically reproduce it." They sounded flat and like shit to the rest of us: No bottom end warmth, just flat, grey sounding, like listening to a huge transistor radio, but loud. lol
Yes, my thoughts too. I find flat is bland and boring especially compared to after I PEQ the audio. I'm a bit crazy with the PEQ. :D

NoxMorbis

Yes, my thoughts too. I find flat is bland and boring especially compared to after I PEQ the audio. I'm a bit crazy with the PEQ. :D
It's funny because right now I am listening to my Klipsch R51-M speakers, and my EQ looks like this, which is almost flat. But, I also just added an 8" sealed sub, so there's that:

eq.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okies @NoxMorbis we better stay laser focused on the review topic or we might have our posts deleted for not staying right on topic. :D

NoxMorbis

This is why you should listen to everyday reviewers of speakers, and then not give 2 *ucks!

• Notice, speakers are on the floor
  • 1 foot apart from each other.
  • Review states: "Beautiful sound" ?
  • WTF? lol
I actually got these exact speakers to review from a program I am in and they sound like crap, except at low listening levels, and then they are just, just. My review:

FllorScreenshot 2023-04-08 172616.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt it. This topic went WAY off the subject of the review -- lol. However, it was really interesting.
Start a new forum page for your review and we can analyze those power figures and issues that you posted in your Amazon review. :D

Frontino

Wait a minute. How does this 4" make less distortion <100 Hz than the 6.5" of the RP-600M?

Frontino

But, when looking at the 96dB charts, at 90Hz the 41M still plays loud and is cleaner than the 600M.
Even >500Hz the 41M has less THD than the 600M.
I just don't trust this Klippel stuff.

Also, Erin's measurements of the Arendal 1723 small bookshelf looks pretty average in performance.
But when you look at Audio Review measurements of the Arendal 1723 small monitor, suddenly the same drivers perform a lot better.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But, when looking at the 96dB charts, at 90Hz the 41M still plays loud and is cleaner than the 600M.
Probably because its port is tuned around that region.

Even >500Hz the 41M has less THD than the 600M.
It is not very unusual that a smaller driver performs better at higher frequencies.

I just don't trust this Klippel stuff.

Also, Erin's measurements of the Arendal 1723 small bookshelf looks pretty average in performance.
But when you look at Audio Review measurements of the Arendal 1723 small monitor, suddenly the same drivers perform a lot better.
"Klippel" is not the problem but that for high quality HD measurements ideally anechoic conditions are needed which is usually not the case and thus also measurements done from different reviewers in different locations and setups unfortunately cannot be compared directly.

Top Bottom