• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Speaker Review

retibor

No problem. :)

Here is how I'd do it. Upper 3 curves are original Listening Window, Early Reflections and Sound Power. Lower 3 curves are corrected versions.
It doesn't look that bad anymore, right? ;)

View attachment 52917

And here is the filter:

View attachment 52918

I have attached zip with REW data, rePhase filter file and actual filter file in wav format in case someone wants to play further with it.
Hi guys. How can I apply this filter in my windows10?

Westsounds

I'd like to know what software you are using there as well please. Those sliders look cool even if there are only 17 of them. Although they do look adjustable to any frequency hz. So 17 'may be' all you need.

For the price, I personally love the way these speakers sound in our bedroom. Having a worthy reference system as a primary listening room, I find these pleasing and non-fatiguing, as some find. I find the hating on Klipsch laughable, and one of the reasons I do not call myself an audiophile, but a musicophile. Measurements can be one part of an individual's decision on auditioning a speaker set, yet the enjoyment the one gets when listening is in my view, most important. Will I eventually upgrade the BDRM system? Most likely yes. For the time being though, the set of Klipsch R-41M Bookshelf Speakers are working swimmingly, and hope to see the condescending nature of "audiophiles" and such reviews as this, lessen, and look for to the music. I share this not to create a heated discussion, only to speak a point of view. As I have used this site for many a decision to purchase speakers and other high-end audio equipment over the years. BTW, I absolutely LOVE my Heresy IVs, after living with over 8 pairs of "audiophile" speakers over the years. Cheers!

Teeter

@screwmeasurements2022. It is what YOUR ears like to hear and works in your room Accoustics. I still have their R-51M, R-52C and use their R-15M for the side surrounds, in my smaller HT room.

All I know is, my ears don't pick-up all those published measurements and only the Treble can be a bit too.... high for my ears. I am a MOVIE person. I did try JBL's Stage A130's with having good measurements + comments. I commented to soon with how good they were, and after a month, they were too neutral.

The measurements we read, are for Audiophile applications with acute ears??? I can tell if the speakers produce too much treble, and I can control the subwoofer, through the AVR. Something like that.

You are right on @Teeter! Listening enjoyment is subjective, according to how and what we hear, and of course, we all know the important role room acoustics/treatment plays. I'm more of a 2 channel guy, and though I agree with the importance of considering measurements, I see so many getting lost in the data, thus missing the point - enjoying the music. I am sending back a pair of Audioengine A5+s, which the R-41M's replaced, due to their sounding far too neutral as well. I guess I like a lot of spice when it comes to music, leaving the less spicey (speakers/tubes), to the "audiophiles".

NoxMorbis

Whew! Glad this review was done. I've been eyeballing these for my desktop at the local retailer. Not any more...
You should just listen to them and EQ them before making a decision. Maybe they are not adjustable, but many reviewers seem to like their auditory performance. I mean, how many people leave the frequency flat for all songs and speakers? Is it possible that a speaker can measure like shit, but sound good at the same time (with some EQ applied)?
PS--Remember, you have 30 days to return them if you order from Amazon.

NoxMorbis

I dunno -- maybe it's just me, but odd-colo(u)red, injection-mo(u)lded-looking speaker driver cones make me think K-Mart/Walmart grade componentry. :confused: And, yes, I am lookin' at you, KEF LS50! ;)

As to Klipsch & marketing -- like Harley-Davidson (at least, the H-D of yore), they know their target market well. Very well indeed after 7 decades. :)
They weren't going for the Darjeeling-quaffing, pinkie-in-the-air audiophile market, then or now.

another year klipsch by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

... dating back to the Colonel himself.

CEDIA-No-BS-buttons-social by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

PWK-BS fashions by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

with my apologies for the coarse language in those images!

I lived with a pair of Cornies Cornwalls for a decade, so I feel that I know whereof I speak, Klipsch-wise. :)
They will piss off the neighbors! lol

NoxMorbis

Hahahaha.

I mean, it's fair enough to want to know what the frequency response is, but it does sometimes lead to excessive angst. "I liked my speakers, but then I saw some graphs and it turns out I was wrong".
That's exactly it. really.

NoxMorbis

Why would you be disappointed if the JBL measured poorly if you enjoy the sound?
I love the Pioneer SB22, hate almost all Klipsch murder horns.

Having said that....A number of people I know like Klipsch in HT settings. Speaker sound changes on location, use, etc. I would not use them in a 2.0 setting, but in a HT? Possibly
Sadly, those are no longer available on Amazon. I would loved to have done a listen on them.

NoxMorbis

Simply suggesting that if you are going to give your listening impressions those impressions should be first not last.
The problem with that is if you say, "Hey, these sound decent," especially with some DSP or whatever external factor. Then you measure them and they measure like crap. Opps. Now what?

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

Dude, what? Who is trying to save anything? He's providing detailed measurements free of charge, and then throwing in a listening opinion which is labeled as INFORMAL. If you want some kind of double-blind comparison, go ahead and do one yourself.
He's just speaking his mind. I can see the reasoning. It isn't like he is way out there or something. What's wrong with that?

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

These returns are expected and factored in the business expenses. Don't feel sorry for Costco. Not that I approve it.
Costco has a deal setup where they must make sure all of the returns are destroyed, even the ones that are still fine. That way the IRS allows them to write them down 100%, including all cost to do so. It ends up costing them nothing when returns are made. But, yeah, people do crappy things like that just to serve themselves. They are the selfish shitheads of society.

And, just to say, since my sister and brother in law used to work at Costco, and my sister was a manager there: You do that return shit too many times, they have a simply calculation to see if they are actually making enough money on your membership. If not, you get the axe. My sister said she axed several people from membership while working as a manager.

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

Lets not bother about if audition review should be done before or after as focus is primarily on equipment measurements. Also amirm is giving his time, money and effort, Thanks very much for that. I am not buying anything but have learnt a lot.
Respect and kudos to amirm and others. Keep up the good work for the community and all the best in life.

Best Regards
I disagree. It's a valid point, and it in NO WAY calls into question Amrin's contributions or character. The fact someone does something for free doesn't mean they are above questioning.

Top Bottom