• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kii/8C PSI shootout at Kore Studios

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Interesting morning comparing Kii THREE/Dutch&Dutch 8C and PSI 215s at Kore Studios in London.

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Main studio space,

Top knobbage

Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What type of power cords are they using? :p

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well... What did you think @Purité Audio? ;)
The room sounded good, bass was excellent, didn’t get a chance to measure or ask for measurements of the room, but it was a bespoke space.
Both the main space and the control room were very quiet!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
To the victor the spoils or in this case the order for a pair of 8Cs in natural oak/white baffle!

Keith

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a write up on the comparison somewhere?

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The recent hifi show in Melbourne had Kii3s and D&D's on display.
Unfortunately they were not in the same room so it was hard to make a meaningful comparison.

At the show, on the day, and based on pure gut feel, I thought the D&Ds were better. I thought the bass was a little more natural, however it may have just been the way they were 'dialled in'. Having two sets of configurable speakers makes it hard to know whether preference is simply a matter of changing a few parameters on the speakers.

Two of my friends have Kiis and their rooms are completely different to each others and to the rooms at the hifi show. In both cases I think their systems sound better than both the Kiis and the D&Ds at the hifi show

Not sure if that helps at all...

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Is there a write up on the comparison somewhere?
I will write something, ‘usually/often’ the pro guys like to switch quite rapidly between speakers listening to different aspects of various tracks they have worked on.
George and Mark were really fast, they switched between all three, four or five excerpts , George summed up the differences between the speakers after the first track.
The 8Cs were completely ‘flat’ no filters there was no bass overhang in the room at all, which was a first for me with the 8Cs.
Really interesting .
Keith

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will write something, ‘usually/often’ the pro guys like to switch quite rapidly between speakers listening to different aspects of various tracks they have worked on.
George and Mark were really fast, they switched between all three, four or five excerpts , George summed up the differences between the speakers after the first track.
The 8Cs were completely ‘flat’ no filters there was no bass overhang in the room at all, which was a first for me with the 8Cs.
Really interesting .
Keith
I await your write-up with baited breath !

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I will try and make it as riveting as possible!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Actually yes,one reviewer who used to work for Harbeth , said that they didn’t sound like Harbeths and therefore didn’t like them, absolutely true!
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Has anyone who dislikes the 8Cs been found?
Just wait a couple years till a few of the next big speaker fads come along.
Then all of a sudden reviewers will be hearing all sort of things they didn't hear before.
If you been around this hobby for more than a couple years you've heard it all before, comes and goes at least a couple times a decade.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
These aren’t a fad Sal, these and the Kiis are just good sound engineering , are you upset because they are not American?
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
These aren’t a fad Sal, these and the Kiis are just good sound engineering , are you upset because they are not American?
Keith
Please don't be silly. I'm sure they are fantastic sounding speakers.
But as I've said a number of times, these "greatest thing since sliced bread, all else is gaslight, etc, etc" pronouncements come and go every so often in audio. I guarantee very soon it will be something else.
As a dealer I expect you to bang these drums, that's how you make a living selling these things.
Now your currently dumping your last run of fav speakers ( Cessaaro Horns) at greatly reduced prices to get out of them now that your love for them has tempered.
So be a man and take honest comments on the situation with dignity.
Or do you think 70+ years from now folks will still be talking about the Kii 3 and 8c the way they are here about Klipsch Heritage speakers?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Or do you think 70+ years from now folks will still be talking about the Kii 3 and 8c the way they are here about Klipsch Heritage speakers?

I would say in one tenth of that time (<7years), pretty much all these flavor-of-the-month, fly-by-night, one-trick-pony companies will be long gone.

Support will be non-existant along with any spare parts.

I mean look at this picture:

wireless spks.JPG

Magical wireless speakers are they? Guaranteed that speaker will be knocked the floor in no time, especially when Bozo here falls off the end of his half-missing sofa, stands up, and hits his head on the 'thought-bubble' hanging way too low and blocking the door.

Hey, I've got a mint copy of Thriller I bought in 1982, long before that guy was even a twinkle in his father's eye. I should sell it to him for a few hundred.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/30/mic...ry-still-all-time-best-seller.html?yptr=yahoo

Theo

They obviously are best for listening to vinyl...:facepalm:

Top Bottom