• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef to announce new products?

OP
Jukebox

Jukebox

244235539_4598773853507605_8345728406054279001_n.jpg

If they wanted to be fully in time they should have done the announcement already.
They are... somehow :) Announced yesterday on 02 Oct that they will announce something new this month :)

LearningToSmile

An 8 inch coaxial driver would not work. The woofer would interfere with the tweeter too a far greater degree than the 5 inch one. Better to set sights on the Ref 3, hopefully updated with the Meta treatment,.
There are some 7 and 8 inch coaxial speakers on the market, and they're at least usable(and at least one 15 inch but I haven't seen any reviews or measurements of it) - maybe Kef could use their expertise to attempt to mitigate the downsides.

Ata

Forum Donor
There are some 7 and 8 inch coaxial speakers on the market, and they're at least usable(and at least one 15 inch but I haven't seen any reviews or measurements of it) - maybe Kef could use their expertise to attempt to mitigate the downsides.
Why would anyone want to mess with larger coax woofers? I predict LS60 will be 3 way, may be with a larger 8 inch woofer crossed at 300 Hz. A better R3, maybe with an active option, and a premium timber option.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would anyone want to mess with larger coax woofers? I predict LS60 will be 3 way, may be with a larger 8 inch woofer crossed at 300 Hz. A better R3, maybe with an active option, and a premium timber option.
Maybe even a cardioid woofer,

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully they’ll add 7” woven fiber midranges housed in spherical lexan enclosures and place a diamond tweeter on top.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An 8 inch coaxial driver would not work.

Sure it would, and does. The Q900 coax is a fantastic driver. I had a desktop monitor built around the Q900 coax, and even if LS50 had grilles (naked drivers are aesthetically unacceptable to me) I would prefer them sonically to LS50. I posted some measurements of them here. I've had idle thoughts of recycling those drivers into a Dutch & Dutch style cardioid.

The Tannoy “Omnimagnet” 8” coaxes in the Revolution XT 8F as well as a number of their ceiling and indoor/outdoor speakers are also very good.

The problem with an 8” standmount is the aesthetic, not sonic. A small speaker of that width is unfashionably proportioned. That’s the main reason I replaced mine with KH 80 DSP - they took up too much visual space for nearfield speakers.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You want them to become B & W? Fuyeeooo say Uncle Rodger!
Good point. Was thinking the dust cap of the 7" midrange could be unscrewed and replaced with a tweeter. Hot glue should hold it in.

Actually I'm secretly hoping for an LSX2.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure it would, and does. The Q900 coax is a fantastic driver. I had a desktop monitor built around the Q900 coax, and even if LS50 had grilles (naked drivers are aesthetically unacceptable to me) I would prefer them sonically to LS50. I posted some measurements of them here. I've had idle thoughts of recycling those drivers into a Dutch & Dutch style cardioid.

The Tannoy “Omnimagnet” 8” coaxes in the Revolution XT 8F as well as a number of their ceiling and indoor/outdoor speakers are also very good.
Both the measurements (especially of the Tannoy) don't look as good though as from the 4-5" state of the art mid-tweeter coaxes from KEF and Genelec, there is a reason KEF uses their larger drivers only on their entry series.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure it would, and does. The Q900 coax is a fantastic driver. I had a desktop monitor built around the Q900 coax, and even if LS50 had grilles (naked drivers are aesthetically unacceptable to me) I would prefer them sonically to LS50. I posted some measurements of them here. I've had idle thoughts of recycling those drivers into a Dutch & Dutch style cardioid..

Presumably by now you've looked into the Q950's - any thoughts? Not much data I've found so far re: 8" Kef drivers, yours might actually be the first I've seen.

OP
Jukebox

Jukebox

Presumably by now you've looked into the Q950's - any thoughts? Not much data I've found so far re: 8" Kef drivers, yours might actually be the first I've seen.
Like all Q series the driver has big surround and moves quite a lot; is never ideal when the driver acts as waveguide for the tweeter; also causes IMD. How audible is this? hard to tell, but I would prefer the R/Reference type of coaxial implementation.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I think they are going to update their Reference line, the R series is from 2018~ but their references are from 2014? i can't remember, but they are just in time for an upgrade
Kef can add
The P-Flex to their speakers, not only the KC62
Meta Material
Kef references use the 11th gen UNIQ, but the R series/ls50M use the 12th UNIQ GEN, the new uniq is very clean

Fahzz

Forum Donor
LS50 was introduced for 50th anniversary so something called LS60 is my bet. But I'm going to win the LS50 wireless package giveaway, so I don't care.

OP
Jukebox

Jukebox

New teaser from KEF; The company's latest press reads: "In this anniversary year, KEF will launch the most advanced products it has ever created – to be announced in the coming months – which will again push the boundaries of the listening experience, both at home and on the move."

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are all missing it. It will be an active thing for sure…USA has turned out to be a big success for KEF…the cradle of the iPod…they are going after lifestyle…
Unless it’s actually their most advanced product yet, re-defining the concept of “reference”.

Top Bottom