• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R5 vibration enclosure problem

Trully

Hi,

I purchased two KEF R5+KEF R2C ex-demo a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. But I noticed a problem in one of the towers.

Attached a video. The vibration comes from the enclosure (the two woofer and also the midrange). It seems it's not from the drivers itself, but from the cabinet, like something was not well attached inside and vibrated.

I tried changing the speaker for the other R5 in this position and with this second no vibration. I tried with 2 high end amplifier and the problem only appears with this R5, not the other.

PS: Tried with and without EQ. Always the same vibration, even with low SPL. Even I tried with all speakers disconnected and only this R5 connected and same problem...

Any one knows what is the cause? Crossover?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I purchased two KEF R5+KEF R2C ex-demo a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. But I noticed a problem in one of the towers.

Attached a video. The vibration comes from the enclosure (the two woofer and also the midrange). It seems it's not from the drivers itself, but from the cabinet, like something was not well attached inside and vibrated.

I tried changing the speaker for the other R5 in this position and with this second no vibration. I tried with 2 high end amplifier and the problem only appears with this R5, not the other.

PS: Tried with and without EQ. Always the same vibration, even with low SPL. Even I tried with all speakers disconnected and only this R5 connected and same problem...

Any one knows what is the cause? Crossover?
Slowly and manually frequency sweep the speaker with this tool. It will enable you to really focus on the issue and find where the issue is coming from and then get back to us.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I clearly listen at 100 Hz or below. This is at 90-95 hz:

Hmmz. It appears to be coming from near that top front driver. Is that so? There's definitely a issue there. They need warranty service. Are they still in warranty? It should be at 5 years warranty for drivers. I used to provide warranty service for KEF and if the cabinets has a issue they would honor warranty on it.

OP
T

Trully

Yes, 2 years of wareanty. Bought a few days weeks ago.

The vibration comes from from top and bottom, I think it's coming from all the cabinet itself.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, 2 years of wareanty. Bought a few days weeks ago.

The vibration comes from from top and bottom, I think it's coming from all the cabinet itself.
It's not the first time I've seen/heard a resonating cabinet. I've seen the issue with several speaker manufacturers. It happens. It's very difficult to make cabinets that don't resonate and so some get through to customers. Call your retailer and ask for replacements or warranty service. I can attest that this type of issue does not get solved fast if they want it replaced under warranty because cabinets need to be authorized for warranty replacement, made and then shipped etc. If me I would want new speakers from the retailer and let the retailer deal with the KEF warranty service delays and extended time frame for dealing with a cabinet issue. :D

Top Bottom