• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Descartes

Major Contributor
Yeah...
It just blows my mind that someone would post 'r3 update is coming!' with no context, no source, no further explanation.
The source was a dealer who has Blades, Blade 2, and the reference line so he is either lying or misunderstood! Just relaying what I heard.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The older version (R300) was replaced after 7 years ... so expect more or less the same.

tecnogadget

This is one if not the best passive measured speaker without breaking the bank. There is no need for an upgrade. KEF speakers have been praised by its sound for 60 years without “meta”, which is just a good addition and innovation but isn’t the answer to life itself or radically change the way a speaker works. People need to be a little less influenced by marketing and start getting more technical.

mike70

This is one if not the best passive measured speaker without breaking the bank. There is no need for an upgrade. KEF speakers have been praised by its sound for 60 years without “meta”, which is just a good addition and innovation but isn’t the answer to life itself or radically change the way a speaker works. People need to be a little less influenced by marketing and start getting more technical.

I agree. Speakers technology doesn't change every 10 years (like some kind of electronics), a good implementation is what you need. If it's well done ... it's well done.

Even more with Kef and thir historical commitment to get better performance based on measurements.

As an example, I'd buy an older reference series in a blink of an eye, because price / performance will be higher with an older and cheaper reference that with a new R series speaker.

mike70

Yes, but I mean the Reference as the line up the R. If I have had a good opportunity on an older Reference, that's what I was bought and not the last R.

A better speaker with more or less the same price.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Yes, but I mean the Reference as the line up the R. If I have had a good opportunity on an older Reference, that's what I was bought and not the last R.

A better speaker with more or less the same price.
You can think the walmat speaker it's better, but what makes a speaker better are the measurements in the end.

mike70

You can think the walmat speaker it's better, but what makes a speaker better are the measurements in the end.

... and why do you think the acclaimed Reference line doesn't have better measurements than the R line?

Kef factory measurements are pretty decent and excuse me, but they show that Reference is better, as they cost much more.

tecnogadget

@mike70 Sure, that 201/2 Ref series was one pretty gem and a keeper. I’ve always been astonished by the crosscut pictures of it, very solid engineering speaker.
Just mind those are Anthem measurements over 5 point average, I would prefer some REW ones for comparison. And I wouldn’t go for an older Ref series than that one. There is a point where new tech pays it’s benefits.

Pd: I wish someone would send those 201/2 to either Amir or Erin.

Ciobi69

sorry to ask a stupid question but i dont know what color to pick between white and black, i am like 60% for the black instead of the white, i like the look of the black driver, what do you think?

jgiannakas

sorry to ask a stupid question but i dont know what color to pick between white and black, i am like 60% for the black instead of the white, i like the look of the black driver, what do you think?
Depends on your room decor. Personally I bought the black ones as my TV unit is black & grey. If you have a white TV unit I’d go for white.

itz_all_about_the_music

Answer to that "stupid question"? Which color sounds better?? Maybe ask Martha Stewart?? But not on this website.

mike70

Obviously you need to check the actual environment in the room ... but also the blacks "disappear" in a low light room. And I like that.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Someone as played with EQ ?

I tryed to make my R7 sound more bassy with 2dB low shelf filter ( I love that filter ) and i did a 1khz+1dB ( 1.5dB was too much for my taste ) and the speaker sounds very energetic also detailed
The laid back/soft character got away mostly with room correction, sounds very tight and fun

After room correction Mids sounds more clear/clean, the 1khz@+1dB helps to make the mids more foward but sometimes i feel is not necessary and it's recording depend..

Highs always sound very present and never harsh, the high's is the better things to me about the R series. It's right on the point.
I enjoy a lot how musical the r7 sounds
BSpzfPT.jpg

Last edited:

Winemaker

Good morning everyone (in Italy it is 11:40 AM).
I bought, used, the Electrocompaniet ECI-4 amplifier and I am looking for advice for a good combination with speakers, even used ones, for a cost not exceeding 1000/1100 euros.

I currently have the Monitor Audio Silver 2 and was thinking about the Kef R3 or the Quad Z2 (I seem to have read negative reviews on the latter). What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your availability.

Top Bottom