• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Winemaker

My Electrocompaniet ECI 80D with its slightly warmish tonality has a very good synergy with the first generation Elac FS 407 speakers. If you are looking for bookshelf speakers maybe it's worth to check out some ELAC BS series speakers like BS 403 or BS 243.
Thanks for the welcome advice, but from what I'm reading around the choice is being reduced to only three options:
1) Kef R3
2) Buchardt S400
3) M.A. PL100
First I try them used but if they don't convince me I see the new ones.
I find the Electrocompaniet ECI-4 a fantastic amplifier and with a lot of current available for any type of speaker.
It matches my CD / HDCD player perfectly.

Ciobi69

i got the opportunity to get a pair of kef r11 for under 2,900 euros, should i get them instead of the R3 paired with subs? what do you think? i saw that here on audiosciencereview they doesn't measured them, what do you think? maybe the r11 would bee more suitable for movies because the higher spl, my main use would be 60% movies 40% music

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i got the opportunity to get a pair of kef r11 for under 2,900 euros, should i get them instead of the R3 paired with subs? what do you think? i saw that here on audiosciencereview they doesn't measured them, what do you think? maybe the r11 would bee more suitable for movies because the higher spl, my main use would be 60% movies 40% music

Depends on a few things. It's probable they sound almost identical, albeit as you say louder and with more low end extension. We don't know 100%, as this is about all we have

obviously no idea what the rest of your system looks like, but depending.on your listening distance you'll need a good quality (not necessarily expensive, relative to 2900EU) to take advantage of that low end extension.

jgiannakas

Depends on a few things. It's probable they sound almost identical, albeit as you say louder and with more low end extension. We don't know 100%, as this is about all we have

obviously no idea what the rest of your system looks like, but depending.on your listening distance you'll need a good quality (not necessarily expensive, relative to 2900EU) to take advantage of that low end extension.
To be fair you will most likely need a sub for movies due to the LFE channel, as most speakers can’t really reach down that low (20hz).

Also a sub gives you the opportunity to optimise bass response due to freedom of placement.

Personally I’d go with stand mounters and subs as they are then truly capable of 20-20khz range plus better room integration plus taking up less space.

Ciobi69

To be fair you will most likely need a sub for movies due to the LFE channel, as most speakers can’t really reach down that low (20hz).

Also a sub gives you the opportunity to optimise bass response due to freedom of placement.

Personally I’d go with stand mounters and subs as they are then truly capable of 20-20khz range plus better room integration plus taking up less space.
ok that is what im gonna do then thanks!

testp

yeaah, new reference meta's are out... now just need to wait another 2-3 years for the R meta's :rolleyes: :oops:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
R3's for $1700. And those bastards at Amazon offered me interest-free payments on them, which is what they do when they want me to spend a lot of money on something. :)

I may be in trouble here. And I don't even dislike my current speakers.
What are current?
I’m a Revel owner but have lots of other brands and these R3 keep calling my name…

Ciobi69

i wonder how the could compare r3 + sub vs the blade,r3 is a well enginered bookshelf, i am loving them, but i am curious how they can fight against the top of the line

SuperDave

What are current?
I’m a Revel owner but have lots of other brands and these R3 keep calling my name…

I'm currently using a pair of Dr. Hsu's CCB-8 coaxials, which are to my mind as competent a pair of speakers you'll ever find for <$800 (they've recently raised the price by $20/ea, now $389), along with one of his subwoofers. However, having just pulled the trigger on one of Buckeye's NC502MP amps and a Cambridge DACMagic 200M, discretionary money's a tad tight. Which is why I'm so :mad: with Amazon for offering me payments. :p

The Hsu's have convinced me that for my ears and listening space, coaxials are where I need to go. Amazon's been offering me LS50 Metas for months on payments, but R3's for 100 more?

Dammit. This'll be a good enough rig to put into a sig. :)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Oh dear. The only speakers I have regretted selling are on sale for nearly the price for which I sold them, giving me the rare chance at an undo. You know what happens next...

Fahzz

Forum Donor
R3's for $1700. And those bastards at Amazon offered me interest-free payments on them, which is what they do when they want me to spend a lot of money on something. :)

I may be in trouble here. And I don't even dislike my current speakers.
I bought them in December for $1700 and then the price went back up, but I guess I can't be smug any more. :cool:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
OK. I ordered a pair. Be on the lookout for the upcoming "R3s Take on the Undefeated BMRs Rematch in 15 Rounds" thread. One thing I dislike about the R series is what I consider to be poor finish options. If you are not into high gloss lacquer, your only option is the walnut and rose gold version that looks like something my late grandmother would love and dress up with a doily on top. How about a nice rosenut and black option? Anyway, I went for black on black. Again.

(A little bit of history, about which no one cares: Philharmonic BMRs unseated KEF R3s around a year ago. I miss those R3s sometimes, as I think the dispersion pattern is a better fit for this room, according to what is probably a failure of audio memory. I have always regretted selling them. I did not have Dirac Live 3 back then, so a 30 day rematch is upcoming to see which pair wins with fresh ears and new tools. I'm sure I will post a nauseating number of in-room measurements. Should be "fun.")

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes they are fine and 2 of them would be perfect
I decided on a pair of 3000 Micro… mostly for watching videos. I switch with the iPhone app between Music and Movies. Also room correction with Roon.

I am pleased!

syr1990

What stands are people using with the R3s? It's hard to find something with a base plate that is big enough. It's frustrating that KEF doesn't make a speaker stand for the R3 like it does for the LS50.

JRiggs

What stands are people using with the R3s? It's hard to find something with a base plate that is big enough. It's frustrating that KEF doesn't make a speaker stand for the R3 like it does for the LS50.

IsoAcoustics Aperta 200 Isolation Stands on top of Monolith THX 10 subs. :cool:
75a2f390aff9fc5b17fdfd3c1d0889c067877e74.jpeg

Top Bottom