• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R Series with MAT white paper

Descartes

Major Contributor
Will KEF participate in this event? This would be nice to see how the new R series with meta material technology does vs Revel and a few others!

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're in the UK, a lot of people find R5 the right compromise between size, footprint, bass extension and distortion capabilities (and price) for the size and construction of living rooms we have.
There was a lot of discussion a while back about what's the reason for R5 when the performance seems to be about the same as the R3, discounting the look aspect. What is KEF's reasoning here? :)

Satisfied R5 owner here and I'm have not yet decided on which meta I will upgrade to, R3, R5 or R7.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So R7 for me then in a stereo triangle about 2,8-2,9 meters listening distance in a lossy rectangular room (3,4 * 7 meters )with large openings to other parts of the house ?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @jaakkopetteri I thought this was an Ask Me Anything (about the white paper). Just kidding! My (very general) view on them is that some of the methods for achieving a narrower directivity at lower frequencies (DSP and/or acoustic), at least in this kind of speakers, not big arrays for concerts or that kind of thing, seem to have some limitations that put a question mark on whether they actually help make the stereo image more realistic and holographic in a good room.

Can you elaborate on this a little? What kind of limitations?

The R3 Meta is surprisingly very capable of producing ample clean bass but it does have a ceiling that becomes obvious in large/lossy rooms at high volumes. R11 Meta goes extremely loud before it distorts but in a small room where the stereo triangle will be less than 3 metres per side, the LF array is relatively too big wrt the listener so the stereo image will suffer.

Are the per-model distance recommendations documented anywhere? I see the R Meta manual shows 1.5m-3m for the entire lineup. Seems that is not necessarily the case?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys rock. I am extremely happy with my in-walls. They replaced also top of the range JBL in-walls and the difference is, if I can use a cliché, night & day! :)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this make the new R slightly wider directivity than the old R?

Thanks for the quality of your answers, it's rare to get such clear and understandable answers,
@davidbosch Did you miss this question? I'm not sure I've seen dispersion width mentioned in the Kef papers and am interested in how you decide what is ideal.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone already compared the old R Series vs the R Meta? The graphs in Kef's white papers look pretty similar to me and prices for the old R series are getting really low.

I've seen the old R3 for 1000-1200€ and the R5 for 1500-2000€.
R3 Meta is 2200€ (+700€ for the stand) and R5 Meta 3500€.

Not sure if this rather large price difference is justified.

Jukebox

Is the per-model distance recommendations documented anywhere? I see the R Meta manual shows 1.5m-3m for the entire lineup. Seems that is not necessarily the case?
In his book (3rd edition, 10.5.1), Floyd Toole wrote that in order to have a predictable experience the listener-speaker distance should be 3 to 10 times the largest dimensions of the sound source (as by Berabek,1986).
In my case with a 1 m tall speakers that would be minimum 3m, so I am slightly off at 2.7m; but I preferr it over bookshelf for a better subwoofer integration.

OP
davidbosch

davidbosch

Audio Company
Responding to this post because of the attached spins but the question is really for @davidbosch or @jackocleebrown. Myself and others have noted over the years that coaxial type speakers seem to sound better with a slight downward tilt of the listening window and I'm wondering if you guys have come to the same conclusion through controlled listening tests? Said another way, would a flat on-axis response result in too bright of a sound?
Hi @aarons915 sorry I almost missed your question. In the case of the Uni-Q and for the system configurations we have, this seems to be true. I really am not sure if this can be generalised to the whole world of coaxials, as there are other designs out there that don't have a phase plug on the tweeter and don't have a waveguide design (and crossover) to match the tweeter and midrange directivities around the crossover frequency, so how they're actually illuminating the room off-axis can be quite different. I'd have to listen to more of them and see their measurements to be able to tell you.

OP
davidbosch

davidbosch

Audio Company
@davidbosch Maybe you can help solve another mystery: why is the Reference 2 Meta (same as with the non-Meta by the way) rated as 80Hz – 35kHz (±3dB) whereas the R2 Meta and R6 Meta (65 Hz - 28 kHz - same size drivers) are rated lower? The R6 Meta and Reference 2 Meta should have similar stats, with the Reference going slightly lower, no?

On a side note, the US site has the Reference 2 Meta listed as 'Three-way bass reflex' (instead of closed box).
I think there might be a mistake here actually. Sorry, this is embarrassing. I'm checking with the colleague who published this data and will clarify the mystery shortly.

And on the website, you are completely right, and the UK website as well. I have forwarded this to our online media team to correct it. Thank you for letting me now, even after lots of people proofreading and double-checking these details, it seems mistakes sometimes make their way through.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
davidbosch

davidbosch

Audio Company
I have a question
Which speaker have the wider dispersion? the LS60 or the R META series?
Personally i have the r7 in my small room with room correction (umik1)
Hi, in short, the LS60W. Just take a look at it, the LF driver array is much more compact and closer to the Uni-Q, so vertical directivity in the LF to MF crossover region in particular is wider, you can see this from the directivity contours in the LS60W white paper. Higher up in frequency, the midrange cone is smaller so it becomes directional higher in frequency. The baffle is also smaller, and in particular slimmer, so the tweeter doesn't need a shadow flare (waveguide continuation) to minimise diffraction, widening the directivity marginally. The tweeter is also smaller but with the phase plug it doesn't really matter too much as, together with the horn, it controls the tweeter's directivity and makes it more constant in both cases. I would only add that despite this, the R Series driver array and cabinet provide a particularly smooth directivity. The Uni-Q and the symmetrical array of LF drivers around it, as well as the slim cabinets are already an excellent package.

OP
davidbosch

davidbosch

Audio Company
Will KEF participate in this event? This would be nice to see how the new R series with meta material technology does vs Revel and a few others!

Hi @Descartes , I have no idea! unfortunately. I am not involved in what events we attend, particularly outside of the UK. KEF is in the sponsor list but oddly not on the list of speakers to listen to.

OP
davidbosch

davidbosch

Audio Company
There was a lot of discussion a while back about what's the reason for R5 when the performance seems to be about the same as the R3, discounting the look aspect. What is KEF's reasoning here? :)

Satisfied R5 owner here and I'm have not yet decided on which meta I will upgrade to, R3, R5 or R7.
Hi @bodhi , I get what you mean, from the published standard specifications, it kinda seems the R3 and R5 perform too similarly. But the R5 has more LF volume displacement and more LF enclosure volume. This does result in more bass extension and less distortion and more power handling (2 voice coils for the LF will fry slower). The symmetric array of LF drivers also gives a symmetric vertical directivity along the LF to MF crossover. All of this makes R5 superior as a floorstander. R3 though, can be put on a stand, table, shelf, etc. which a lot of people actually need.

OP
davidbosch

davidbosch

Audio Company
Can you elaborate on this a little? What kind of limitations?

Are the per-model distance recommendations documented anywhere? I see the R Meta manual shows 1.5m-3m for the entire lineup. Seems that is not necessarily the case?
Hi @tifune, I think I rather not, as I'm not posting as a civilian here, so apologies. Controlled directivity into low frequency sounds ideal, but in a room below the Schroeder frequency I'm not sure it's yet well understood how such speaker will interact with the room modes.

We don't have published per-model distance recommendations. Maybe we should, although I'm thinking it might confuse people more than help them, since numbers like that are a bit useless once you factor in different user case scenarios. I do think listening to an R11 at 1.5m distance is not a great idea. You want to be at a similar distance to all LF drivers, and that only happens when you take some distance from the speaker. At home right now I have a pair of R7 Meta in my reading corner with a 2.2m stereo triangle and they are fine, if this helps.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hi, in short, the LS60W. Just take a look at it, the LF driver array is much more compact and closer to the Uni-Q, so vertical directivity in the LF to MF crossover region in particular is wider, you can see this from the directivity contours in the LS60W white paper. Higher up in frequency, the midrange cone is smaller so it becomes directional higher in frequency. The baffle is also smaller, and in particular slimmer, so the tweeter doesn't need a shadow flare (waveguide continuation) to minimise diffraction, widening the directivity marginally. The tweeter is also smaller but with the phase plug it doesn't really matter too much as, together with the horn, it controls the tweeter's directivity and makes it more constant in both cases. I would only add that despite this, the R Series driver array and cabinet provide a particularly smooth directivity. The Uni-Q and the symmetrical array of LF drivers around it, as well as the slim cabinets are already an excellent package.
These ls60 plus a possible KC92 will be the end games for most people hmm.

Hope one day we see the LS60 here for measurements comparison, my only concer about that speaker is warranty for the electronics..

I also wonder if the UNIQ from the ls60 have nearly the same as the distortion from the R META UNIQ, the R UNIQ and the Reference 2011 imho by ears have a very low distortion, no problem at very high volume

Last edited:
OP
davidbosch

davidbosch

Audio Company
@davidbosch Did you miss this question? I'm not sure I've seen dispersion width mentioned in the Kef papers and am interested in how you decide what is ideal.
I completely missed this question! sorry. If you're talking about the Uni-Qs: the Uni-Q tweeter and waveguide geometry are essentially the same for all Uni-Qs with a 1" tweeter since the Muon launched in 2007. R Series 2012, 2018 and Meta, as well as Reference 2014 and Meta all share the same tweeter profile and waveguide geometry. We might have done small modifications to it but it's basically the same. Why? Our Head of Group Research, Mark Dodd, who oversees KEF and Celestion, was thinking before that time about how to improve the propagation of spherical waves from a tweeter with a non-flat pistonic diaphragm and in particular a hemispherical one. He concluded that an infinite conical waveguide with a spherical cap tweeter diaphragm with coincident centres (and a particular angle) provided a superbly smooth directivity and bandwidth and that this held if the conical waveguide was truncated and smoothly flared out into the baffle. That's the basis for the tweeter dome and waveguide geometry we use since.

You can find his paper here: https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=13720

What about other Uni-Qs? like the 8" in the Q950 or the 4" in the LS60W? They have very similar waveguide geometries. They will have different directivity given their size, but they will be designed to have matched directivity between MF and HF across the crossover region.

I don't have an answer to what is ideal in terms of a directivity angle. Also it depends how you define it? Is that the angle at which the off-axis response drops by x dB wrt the on axis response? How many dB? What if the on axis response is not a good reference? As is the case with horn-loaded drivers. Not sure that's the ultimate way to look at it, but I don't want to say more. It does seem however, in general terms, that speakers with a wide and smooth directivity are better at conveying a realistic stereo image in a room and that that's one good target to follow.

Edit: possibly not entirely unmodified since Muon 2007, I have to confirm this, but definitely since 2011 Q Series and LS50.

Last edited:
Top Bottom