• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone understand why the mid/high crossover point should be different in the different models?

R3: 420 Hz, 2.3 kHz
R5: 400 Hz, 2.7 kHz
R7: 400 Hz, 2.4 kHz
R11: 330 Hz, 2.5 kHz
The old one had the same crossover points for all models if m not wrong

Daka

I meant ls50 and R series including meta versions
I see you meant “you don’t think they would be the same company” if not for lower priced ranges.
Definitely - that’s why Fiat bought Ferrari and Volkswagen bought Porsche.

pjn

Anyone understand why the mid/high crossover point should be different in the different models?

Well spotted - curious indeed! Not the case for the 2018 R series or the reference series. While customized crossovers seems fine, why here and not the reference series?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
"More known" ?

Who on Earth doesn't know KEF ?! (I mean, in the Audio world, of course).
Before Bestbuy (and Amazon with some models) carried them they were nowhere near as known to main stream USA buyers which is a huge sales and exposure channel in this country, same for B&W.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
In Vancouver, the only mainstream place you can pick up Kef speakers is Visions Electronics (nationwide company).
In store, they typically carry/display either Q-series or LS50 Meta.
I noticed that sometime during COVID, Visions Electronics stopped demoing the R-series (but still sell them on their website), and they also completely got rid of Reference series (from their website, but you can still order these series from Visions from the store, since Visions Electronics is an authorized dealer).

In Ontario, there are about a dozen places that sell Kef speakers, so you're more likely to encounter them if you don't shop at Visions.

Zvu

Well spotted - curious indeed! Not the case for the 2018 R series or the reference series. While customized crossovers seems fine, why here and not the reference series?

Depending on the crossover frequency there will be slight differences in sound - and as a company that's what you want in this series. From my previous experience with R series woofers, the less you allow those woofers to involve in midrange, the better sound you get. I would expect for R11 to sound most open and detailed of the four in lower midrange.

With Reference series you'd want every one of them to sound the best possible since they all cost a lot and woofers are entirely different beasts from R series so they can play clean a little bit higher.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Linearity is sacrificed for the sake of output.

Descartes

Major Contributor
You don’t seem to like KEF very well I guess!! There is nothing wrong in company owned by Chinese. Imo, it’s an advantage to have lot of money reserve to be spent on r and d, marketing and support than some cult audiofool British, European or American companies based of some random garage, who has no money to do any research! Also after real engineering is done by the right people (having real degrees in those fields) than some random people who has only their ear as their tool, there is nothing wrong in mass producing in china.
Who said I didn’t like KEF? Never said there was any issues with made in China, I own
nine pairs of KEF LS50 and
a pair of KEF LS50WII Meta!

My dream is a pair of Blade 2 Meta!

My reference is Genelec The Ones

Zvu

Linearity is sacrificed for the sake of output.

If that was true, you would see a different trend. If you want higher output, you move the midrange and tweeter crossover frequency higher.

Kef coax is very powerfull and versatile transducer used in all 6 three way models of R series so i see no other reason for highest woofer/midrange crossover frequency (out of mentioned 4) in R3 other than voicing.

Zvu

That is also the case with Reference series and yet all of them are crossed at 450Hz.

MarkS

Major Contributor
It is the variation in the mid/high crossover point (from 2.3kHz in R3 to 2.7kHz in R5) that I find mysterious.

Cyral

As the lower crossover is still at 400hz for the KEF R7 meta, could you potentially just swap the meta uniq in the older models?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Linkwitz site is a basic primer; there are more available variables.

The tweeter is in a waveguide.
Often in those situations the dominant edge for the tweeter is the waveguide edge(or maybe it is more accurate to say there is no edge, the waveguide disappears the effects of an edge).

The midrange is in a shallow waveguide which should mitigate the edge issues.

The 6.5" driver is playing low enough none of this matters at all. (but width of the baffle does matter for forward radiation%)

Finally, if you are off axis at all then the edge changes. Most people do not fully toe in.

Squared looks good, very industrial and let's face it most folks think these look very nice and they sell 'em to people on the fence about audio in the living space.
The benefits to some engineers for curving are not enough to warrant more expensive construction and losing that industrial design.
There are some design elements from KEF that I´d love to see returning. One is a the rounded shapes of the IQ series from almost 20 years ago. The other, is wood color on the subwoofers.

Beyond that, I would love to see more functionalities on the KEF Connect APP. I absolutely love the system on my LS50 WII; the only thing I miss is the integration of room correction.
I´d love to see sources and gear (a phono stage, CD transport, preamp, multichannel processor and so on) that could be used with the APP as if it were a remote, perhaps in colaboration with a manufacturer like NAD or Pro Ject (I love their form factor).

Alexx

I received my R3a I learned that the new R3 meta model has just come out.

Do you think it's worth changing them? I'm still on time with the withdrawal.

The price difference is large, the old model costs 1480 euros, the new one costs around 2100-2200 euros!

I have no idea how much the mid-high range has improved (other changes I don't think have been made).

I can't listen, only fear that in the mid-high range they can seem too bright and annoying in the open range.

Do you have any ideas or information?
Thank you in advance.

JRiggs

As the lower crossover is still at 400hz for the KEF R7 meta, could you potentially just swap the meta uniq in the older models?
No

Uniqued

How will the r7 meta stands against reference 1 meta? For movies and music.
Considering upgrades from og ls50.
I will use it with a avr. (Maybe a more advanced one in the future).
I have DB1D as well.

It’s around 5400$ against 7500$-8000$ where I live.

OP
E

emybaneesim

I received my R3a I learned that the new R3 meta model has just come out.

Do you think it's worth changing them? I'm still on time with the withdrawal.

The price difference is large, the old model costs 1480 euros, the new one costs around 2100-2200 euros!

I have no idea how much the mid-high range has improved (other changes I don't think have been made).

I can't listen, only fear that in the mid-high range they can seem too bright and annoying in the open range.

Do you have any ideas or information?
Thank you in advance.
What is preventing you from listening? Is it due to the return conditions? A home trial should not be an issue for a good dealer. (Or did you just mean you can't compare to the Meta?)

How long is your return window? I would wait for the white paper so we can look at the spins (we are all really just speculating about crossovers and other design choices until then). If you're close to the end of that, you could always return and rebuy if afterwards you still thought the non-Meta was the better buy. (Perhaps at a even cheaper price - it's £900 in UK atm, so that Euro rate looks high, and I've been told there is still plenty of non-Meta R3 stock, though not so much for floorstanders.)

Do you have (or would you consider) EQ? The things you say you fear, can to a large extent be adjusted for and the R3's properties make it very EQ-able. Expecting the changes in the Meta to be more about directivity and dispersion, although these can still play a role in the perception you mention.

Without listening, it may come down to your psychology and circumstances as much as anything. How important is the cash saving to you? Are you the sort of person that is going to experience FOMO from not having the latest and greatest? If you'd known about the Meta before you purchase, would you have still made it?

dogmamann

New one has tweeter playing low to 2.4 vs 2.9 on the old. Possibly the old one don’t have enough measures to play that low. That being said, if you can source both crossovers and the uniqs it should work. I don’t think you can source it from anywhere for the next one year.!!

Top Bottom