• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef Reference Meta reduced prices when new model released question

Meridius

I know the Kef Reference Meta was released not so long ago and as I could not afford it I decided on the r series meta. But the question is when would the new replacement be you think 5 years or so as this would reduce the reference metas. Would it be a stretch to think the ref3, ref1 and ref2 set would hit about £12000 as there about £23000 now.

Not sure on what sort of discounts you get as I want to start saving now for the future and see if I could get it as those prices. I might not bother if I can not get it at a decent reduced price as even £12000 is pushing it.

Thanks all

AwesomeSauce2015

While I haven't been following the prices on those speakers, I would say that getting them new, for less than half of their current price, is probably not going to happen. On the used market, maybe. But new, probably not.
The truth of the matter is that while yes, there is a difference between the R-series and the Reference series, it isn't huge as the R-series is already extremely good.

You would notice a much larger difference from adding a proper subwoofer setup (ie, multiple subs and DSP to correct them with your mains, like whatever version of Dirac Live they use to do that nowadays), assuming you don't already have this.

I say that because KEF speakers, in my opinion, tend to lack the sort of bass power that other brands (ie: JBL) have. Using subwoofers with KEF speakers is pretty much mandatory unless your listening space is tiny, as they're just not designed to play full range. (Yes, the blades may be an exception, but basically every other KEF speaker will benefit from a subwoofer).

jonfitch

I would assume the next refresh would involve a cabinet redesign next gen. So likely the resale value will be relatively lower with meta when the next gen comes.

OP
M

Meridius

Thanks but when would u expect a new range.

am surprised the r series is just behind the reference as I would have thought the jump would be large.

I went from the Q series to the R meta R5,R3 and R2C series and that was a very big jump in quality . I also have a sub but looking to upgrade that but have not integrated it properly into stereo music but HT yes

But the question was when do you think the new range would come out.

It is possible to get them half price new when the new range comes out as the previous models where nearly just that but missed the boat and did not have the funds at the time.

But wanted to be ready for the next time this happens.

OP
M

Meridius

See my signature. I listed all Kef generations of speakers and year of release. You can interpolate next generations based on the history.

You’re welcome.
Thanks so by the looks of that the next reference will prob be 2029 to 2030 meaning 5 to 6 more years.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks so by the looks of that the next reference will prob be 2029 to 2030 meaning 5 to 6 more years.
FWIW, you can definitely still find the non-Meta Reference line for sale through various dealers at solid discounts.

Toblerone

KEF go on sale all the time… the LS60 weren’t even a year old before there was a 30% off sale which became permanent.

Opal

KEF go on sale all the time… the LS60 weren’t even a year old before there was a 30% off sale which became permanent.
not for the reference series and above. No discount for them at all

AwesomeSauce2015

Thanks but when would u expect a new range.

am surprised the r series is just behind the reference as I would have thought the jump would be large.

I went from the Q series to the R meta R5,R3 and R2C series and that was a very big jump in quality . I also have a sub but looking to upgrade that but have not integrated it properly into stereo music but HT yes
Yeah, the R series jumps from a 2-way design to a 3-way design with the dedicated midrange driver, if you aren't using subwoofers and bass management then that will make a difference from the Q-series.
You can look up the measurements for the reference 1 and the R3.
I don't know if linking to Erin's website is allowed, but he has a review for the Reference 1: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_reference_1_meta/
You can also reference his R3 meta review: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r3_meta/
Aside from enclosure and bass differences, the two are pretty similar in the areas where it actually counts.
This is mainly because the R3 is already a very good speaker, so the price difference just goes to making small changes, and the made in UK cost vs china (if they still do that).

OP
M

Meridius

Cheers I have the R5,R3 and R2C Meta series. Was Looking to upgrade in 5 years time to the reference. But if there not much difference I don’t know.

And I do use a sub and looking to upgrade that to SVS new range when ever that comes or to Arendal have not decided

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Cheers I have the R5,R3 and R2C Meta series. Was Looking to upgrade in 5 years time to the reference. But if there not much difference I don’t know.

And I do use a sub and looking to upgrade that to SVS new range when ever that comes or to Arendal have not decided
The biggest difference is the build & materials quality. Cabinet finishes, polished aluminum shadow flare, etc. I am seriously considering an upgrade.

OP
M

Meridius

The biggest difference is the build & materials quality. Cabinet finishes, polished aluminum shadow flare, etc. I am seriously considering an upgrade.
I prob will but not until the next model is out and the meta ref should drop a lot but that looks like 5 years away so plenty of time to save. But I would have thought the ref would be better In All departments for sound as well not just the base to the r series as awesomsauce 2015 says. Just seems a lot to pay just for looks and a better finish if there is not much in sound improvements. Something to think about maybe.

Top Bottom