• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Relatively.
But agree.
Also even Neumann is not perfect.
And Genelec is not perfect from 100 to 500Hz. It's comparable to R3.
The difference is, the hump on the R3 is at frequencies which we are more sensitive to notice with deviations from flat

Streamc

The difference is, the hump on the R3 is at frequencies which we are more sensitive to notice with deviations from flat
Where is scientific proof to 'more sensitive'?
Even using this logic that means that R3 is not bright.
Combining word 'sensitive' and word 'hump' means dark.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Where is scientific proof to ' more sensitive'?
Right here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

This talks about the compensation for it, because it also varies by SPL level. But its well known that how loud we perceive something is heavily influenced by the frequency, which is also discussed on this wiki page. Its also the reason dBA as a measurement unit exists.

Just want to note I didn't look at the R3 measurements and in what area the bump is, only wanted to show how our hearing is not equally sensitive across the frequency range we can hear.

RandomEar

View attachment 261685

View attachment 261686

View attachment 261687
Have no idea why you want to compare the R3 to these other 2 speakers but the treble hump is fairly obvious.

Sorry, but I don't think that's a valid interpretation of these plots. The red lines/arrows are eyeballed by Amir, they are not calculated. The fact that the FR may be over the red line on the R3's has no actual meaning. Also, the arrow drawn in the R3 plot has the steepest slope, the one for the Neumann is close, the one for the Genelec is the flattest. By that logic, the Genelec should sound the brightest (I know, it's not just about slope, but also about the balance between frequency regions - but still).

If you compare the FR's closely, disregarding the red arrow/trend, you will see that the R3 lacks bass and sub-bass and does have a "hole" around 700 - 1200 Hz. I am not sure how that will translate into the perceived sound in any one room, but I wouldn't expect the R3 to be "bright" based on these measurements.

Streamc

Right here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

This talks about the compensation for it, because it also varies by SPL level. But its well known that how loud we perceive something is heavily influenced by the frequency, which is also discussed on this wiki page. Its also the reason dBA as a measurement unit exists.

Just want to note I didn't look at the R3 measurements and in what area the bump is, only wanted to show how our hearing is not equally sensitive across the frequency range we can hear.
Bump?! Firstly it was a hump.

jiji

HI Everyone
I'm new to this forum and looking eagerly for Kef R3 meta release.
I saw some post here , reg KEF R series meta update ,where in ISE 2023 exhibition and how legitimate it is?
I checked the ISE 2023 website and there is not stall available for KEF.
One of my colleague is currently in ISE exhibition in Barcelona , and he said he cannot see KEF stall over there as well. I asked him to check again...lets see..
It seems to be lots of rumours around and no official announcement from KEF either.
I hope in 2023 , they will release R3 meta version..Lets wait and see..

dogmamann

HI Everyone
I saw some post here , reg KEF R series meta update ,where in ISE 2023 exhibition and how legitimate it is?
One of my colleague is currently in ISE exhibition in Barcelona , and he said he cannot see KEF stall over there as well. I asked him to check again...lets see..
It seems to be lots of rumours around and no official announcement from KEF either.
the member who posted the pic here is not a new member. So must be legitimate

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Bump?! Firstly it was a hump.
I don't know why you are responding like that to me. I'm just explaining that human hearing is no linear over the entire frequency range. You know...the thing you asked for proof for.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
No not catastrophic at all. R3 are excellent speakers. Many others don’t come even close. But in some rooms they might be perceived as a bit bright (as the data from @VintageFlanker showed). Only one way to find out - listen at home.

And that is exactly the reason why I think it is futile to describe individual listening impressions. Everyone has a different room plus on top certainly different preferences and biases and different associations with the adjectives describing perceptions.

I listened at home and partly owned R700, Reference 1, Reference 3 and 5 and also changed houses in between. The change in houses (rooms) had a much bigger influence then the difference of the speakers btw.

I stayed with the Reference 3 and two KF92 and me writing here about my subjective impressions (non level matched and sighted) would be a waste of my time and everyone else’s having to read it. ;-)
Luckily we have room correction. Speakers with an irregular directivity are hard to adjust, but frequency, if it does not need a massive increase or reduction, can be adjusted pretty well.

dogmamann

Luckily we have room correction. Speakers with an irregular directivity are hard to adjust, but frequency, if it does not need a massive increase or reduction, can be adjusted pretty well.
Only thing is theoretically the resolution of audio would be limited by the sampling rate capability of the DSP. But since hi res isn’t audible it’s not a problem, but for folks who has invested in hi res, it’s a bummer!

dogmamann

HI Everyone
It’s mentioned, that it’s demonstrated by an installer not by Kef. So possibly Kef won’t be there in stall list.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Absolutely.

dogmamann

Why are they hard to adjust? Can anyone say why is it hard? I never got the concept why it’s hard to adjust a speaker with irregular directivity.

At a given listening spot, what you get is the combination of the Orginal signal played from the driver and the reflections.

Even with a flat speaker, the room reflections added would make the response non flat at the listening spot.

If we eq this speaker, essentially the direct wave, or the Orginal signal needs to be altered.

Isn’t this the same case with a speaker without irregular directivity?

Daka

It’s mentioned, that it’s demonstrated by an installer not by Kef. So possibly Kef won’t be there in stall list.
I might’ve misunderstood but he said firs r pic is from his dealer rest from his installer buddy. This must be KEF stand, no one else would be able to present new speakers but them.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Why are they hard to adjust? Can anyone say why is it hard? I never got the concept why it’s hard to adjust a speaker with irregular directivity.

At a given listening spot, what you get is the combination of the Orginal signal played from the driver and the reflections.

Even with a flat speaker, the room reflections added would make the response non flat at the listening spot.

If we eq this speaker, essentially the direct wave, or the Orginal signal needs to be altered.

Isn’t this the same case with a speaker without irregular directivity?
See F Toole “Sound Reproduction” it gives the details of the argument behind it.

MCH

Major Contributor
HI Everyone
you can tell him to have a look besides the db audiotechnik booth,
Booth
Hall 7 – Stand 7E150
Demo room
Hall 8 – Room E1

the last small picture in post #70 composite shows their products and you can glimpse KEF stuff just behind

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Only thing is theoretically the resolution of audio would be limited by the sampling rate capability of the DSP. But since hi res isn’t audible it’s not a problem, but for folks who has invested in hi res, it’s a bummer!
I'd say it is not audible for most people. Amir (and probably others too) has demonstrated that he can distinguish, but that's because he's a trained listener and for years, his job involved actually listening for sound artifacts.

That said, you're right: for pleasure listening, if the differences are not drastic, finding differences is not clear and evident.

JRS

Major Contributor
Also, that’s at a fatigue prone area. Now I think may be there is a reason why the floorstanders have rhe midrange bit below the ear level. When you measure it the measurement is done on the midrange axis. But in reality when you hear it, your ear is somewhere in between the top woofer and rhe midrage or directly facing the woofer. So, that bass slightly drowns the treble hotness.
And perhaps why the R3 stands are 24"

SlothRock

You need to define large and your avg listening SPL.

My large would require the R7 plus 2 subs and the center.
The room is 21x19 and we listen as far back as probably 15 ft or so. Movies can be anywhere from 60-72db

Top Bottom