• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Q5150 EVH (my next custom project)

Midnight Audiophile

KEF Page_2.jpg

Don't go googling, I just made that page to make me feel good ; ) This is a project though I'm going to start working on in the next couple of weeks after I finish the Darth Maul binary recording head I'm working on.

The design is 1:1 version of EVH's 5150 paint scheme. I extended the design across the front of the right speaker and it will also extend around the speakers completely. Should be fun.

744d38b98337470fce40d9f08acc4107.jpg
Kramer-5150-Eddie-Van-Halen.jpg

img-9.jpg

These are rough sketches of the layoit that I did last night. I'll do a final version that is more accurate (and isn't missing a white stripe). I'm going to use white KEF Q150s as the base, and then use different widths of masking tape as EVH did. I picked up the star design on the right speaker from the 5150 head and I think it works in well. Not sure if I'll put his sig, I don't want it to look counterfeit but it's nice design touch. I think I'm going to seal and fill the woodgrain and go for a smooth gloss finish.

q150-6.jpg

Hope this ok to post here. I plan to do videos showing the process and completed speakers. I dig it, I'm more of an AC/DC fan but gotta love Eddie. What do you all think?

AwesomeSauce2015

Awesome project, definitely something I could see KEF doing; just 1 thing:
You're making some fancy guitar-themed speakers based off Van Halen's design,
And you're an AC/DC fan,
Yet you're using the KEF Q150 as a base?

I mean, I get the 5150 reference, but at least do something to help the sound!
Maybe DSP + Biamp mod would help? You could then cross over to some bass drivers and have a really capable 3-way.

OP
Midnight Audiophile

Midnight Audiophile

Awesome project, definitely something I could see KEF doing; just 1 thing:
You're making some fancy guitar-themed speakers based off Van Halen's design,
And you're an AC/DC fan,
Yet you're using the KEF Q150 as a base?

I mean, I get the 5150 reference, but at least do something to help the sound!
Maybe DSP + Biamp mod would help? You could then cross over to some bass drivers and have a really capable 3-way.
Very true and I appreciate the advice! I haven't gotten the Q150 speakers yet and I'm hoping I like them. I run two small subs in stereo currently and my setup is a 40" triangle. I'm running Dali Spektor 2s right now and like those. I had thought about getting some white Kanto 5 1/4" passive speakers but liked the look of the KEFs and they seem to be well regarded. And yes, AC/DC is basically what I tune my system to listen to with a UMIK and REW. If I hate the KEFs I'll kick them to the curb and probably try the Kantos.
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 10.24.22 PM.png

This is an older chart btw. I've got my system down at the moment but I've added a little more room treatment and worked on positioning everything a little better. Hopefully iron-out the 220 and 400 dips a little.

Last edited:

AwesomeSauce2015

I mean, the Q150s are fairly good speakers, but if you look at the spin charts for them you'll notice that out of the box the tweeter is shelved up a bit. This makes an audible difference in blind A/B comparisons with the Q350 (which doesn't have that shelving). The listener preferred the Q350 over the Q150 basically every time.

Which is why I recommended looking at a DSP + Biamp mod as you are already doing stuff with the cabinet. The Coaxial Uni-Q driver is an incredible performer, just KEF's Q-series crossover could use some help... And then if you free up the woofer from doing bass duties, it's very close to the R-series driver in terms of performance.

Also, if you don't already have the Q150s, wait for a sale as they semi-regularly go on sale for about half off.

OP
Midnight Audiophile

Midnight Audiophile

Thanks for the info. Another speaker that I'm curious about is the HiVi-Swans DIY 3.1A. I could get into a complete DIY project.

OP
Midnight Audiophile

Midnight Audiophile

I had a similar idea a while back although I didn't make any effort to exactly simulate "Frankenstrat". Masking tape, patience, and channeled Eddy a little. My tribute:

View attachment 226601
Those look great!
What color red did you go with? I've seen the Dupli-Color DE 1607 recommended for the 5150 red. I'm going to do a test with Tamiya TS86 Brilliant Red first.

Last edited:

carbidetooth

Those look great!
What color red did you go with? I've seen the Dupli-Color DE 1607 recommended for the 5150 red. I'm going to do test with Tamiya TS86 Brilliant Red.
I call it RF Red. Straight red pigment in conversion varnish. White base, taped and sprayed red. Removed masking, taped and sprayed black. 20% sheen on clear coats over all.

OP
Midnight Audiophile

Midnight Audiophile

I call it RF Red. Straight red pigment in conversion varnish. White base, taped and sprayed red. Removed masking, taped and sprayed black. 20% sheen on clear coats over all.
Did you seal the edges of the tape with white or clear before the red spray?

carbidetooth

Did you seal the edges of the tape with white or clear before the red spray?
Nope. I used Fineline tape throughout for crisp edges and I also like the way it pulls around corners. I was careful to make sure tape was well adhered, especially at overlaps. Didn't measure anything, just freestyled and eyeballed.

Reactions: Zvu

D!sco

How do they stack up against the like of CSS 1td/1tdx and GR Research Xls encore's?
I'd have to hear those first.

Top Bottom