• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef ls50 wireless ii random shut down issue and driver misalignment

TheMadcap

I just got a Ls50 wireless ii crimson red, they are 3 days old. However I am experiencing very annoying random shutdown/restart issue. I connected my tv through hdmi first (sony x90j), and I saw that it turns itself off while I am in playstation menu, or while I am listening through Spotify Connect and tv goes to Screen saver mode meanwhile. I thought maybe Tv was sending a turn off signal through hdmi.

So I changed connection to optical one. No hdmi at all. And expected that problem will be solved, right? Wrong. Tonight I was watching youtube from tv. I actually went my computer to play some, and left yotube video play at the background. In 3 hours, it shut down itself at least three times. Sometimes it restarts itself, sometimes don't.
I just opened ticket through Kef Connect. So is this unit flawed? What does Kef do, replace or repair.

Another thing bugging my mind is, Master speaker has well aligned woofer and tweeter, however slave speaker's tweeter looks like it stays deeper. I am adding pictures. Would that cause a problem, is your speakers like that?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I just got a Ls50 wireless ii crimson red, they are 3 days old. However I am experiencing very annoying random shutdown/restart issue. I connected my tv through hdmi first (sony x90j), and I saw that it turns itself off while I am in playstation menu, or while I am listening through Spotify Connect and tv goes to Screen saver mode meanwhile. I thought maybe Tv was sending a turn off signal through hdmi.

So I changed connection to optical one. No hdmi at all. And expected that problem will be solved, right? Wrong. Tonight I was watching youtube from tv. I actually went my computer to play some, and left yotube video play at the background. In 3 hours, it shut down itself at least three times. Sometimes it restarts itself, sometimes don't.
I just opened ticket through Kef Connect. So is this unit flawed? What does Kef do, replace or repair.

Another thing bugging my mind is, Master speaker has well aligned woofer and tweeter, however slave speaker's tweeter looks like it stays deeper. I am adding pictures. Would that cause a problem, is your speakers like that?
Best get in touch with Kef support and file a warranty claim.

OP
T

TheMadcap

At least 3-4 times, right after the issue happened, I opened a ticket, so that they could check the logs. I wish I could check the logs as well.

While waiting an answer I did try something. I did a factory reset with the button behind the master speaker, and I unplugged master, unplugged slave, plugged master, plugged slave, with this order. Now I am using it, it's been an hour, issue didn't happen yet. HDMI arc connection is used.

Something I notice, I use android phone. If Internet connection is through ethernet to Kef ls50, kef connect app doesn't ask for a google home setup. If you connect through wireless, it asks for google home setup. Yet, I didn't make google home setup after the reset.

OP
T

TheMadcap

For the last 6 days they worked without a problem. I used it with tv and hdmi mostly and sometimes spotify and tidal connect. Tv was selected as second wake-up source, and when I turn off tv Kefs were turning off itself and when I turn on tv, it was turning on itself, so it was working flawlessly.

Last night I wanted listen some music while watching tv. So on the tv, as audio output I selected tv speaker. Tv speaker started working, then in few seconds Tv recognized device connected to hdmi arc and auto-selected the sound system output again. So I opened Tidal, selected Kef's and then changed the sound settings. Both tv speaker and Ls50s worked seperately for 1-2 hours. Then I wanted to reconnect Tv to Ls50s, so I selected TV hdmi input on ls50, since Tv auto recognizes it. Then initial problem reappeared. It shuts down randomly. I changed tv connection to optical. Just few minutes ago Ls50's selected tv input by itself, but there was no hdmi cable connected to kefs at that moment. I am lost now, do I have to reset speakers every time it happen? Am I the only one who experiences this problem?

TSB

Something I notice, I use android phone. If Internet connection is through ethernet to Kef ls50, kef connect app doesn't ask for a google home setup. If you connect through wireless, it asks for google home setup. Yet, I didn't make google home setup after the reset.
Google Home is used to set up the wireless network connection. If you're connected by Ethernet, there is no need to set up the wireless network.

The other issue sounds like a software bug. Might be triggered by the TV sending bad data - TV's are famously bad at following standards. I recommend contacting KEF with your specific make and model of TV.

OP
T

TheMadcap

Google Home is used to set up the wireless network connection. If you're connected by Ethernet, there is no need to set up the wireless network.

The other issue sounds like a software bug. Might be triggered by the TV sending bad data - TV's are famously bad at following standards. I recommend contacting KEF with your specific make and model of TV.
Yes, I thought of that, that's why I try it with optical connection as well. Same behavior is observed with optical as well. I don't think tv can send any turn off signal through optical, only audio data is sent afaik.

TSB

Yes, I thought of that, that's why I try it with optical connection as well. Same behavior is observed with optical as well. I don't think tv can send any turn off signal through optical, only audio data is sent afaik.
Yes, but bad data from the initial HDMI connection could trigger a bad state in the speaker that persists after your disconnect HDMI.

OP
T

TheMadcap

Yes, but bad data from the initial HDMI connection could trigger a bad state in the speaker that persists after your disconnect HDMI.
So what is the way to get rid of that trigger. Factory settings? It is annoying to do factory reset each time I experience this problem. And as far as I can see I am the only one who reports this issue :(

TSB

So what is the way to get rid of that trigger. Factory settings? It is annoying to do factory reset each time I experience this problem. And as far as I can see I am the only one who reports this issue :(
Hard to say, it will need real debugging by someone from KEF..

In General..Usually the more you narrow it down (make it easily reproducible on their side) the more likely they are to have a look.

OP
T

TheMadcap

I had same topic on some other forum, there might be a solution, so I include the link of it in case someone needs it.

quote from Shendran:
"I've registered on this forum so that I could reply you, I have a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless 2 and mine is randomly shutting down as well. I've contacted KEF support and I explained the issue I'm experiencing, they asked me to turn off the control panel in KEF Connect and see if it still happens. I've not had any issue ever since (5 days). This was not a solution, it was to locate the problem. If the control panel was the issue, they asked me to send the speakers back to the retailer to get it fixed. I'm currently busy packing them for a return shipment. From what I understood from KEF is that they are busy with their developers to solve this issue. I'm not willing to gamble on that and wait until it gets fixed.

I was really excited about these speakers, so I'm quite disappointed. I don't know what I'll be replacing them with yet.

If you want a faster reply from KEF I suggest contacting them through their website. I had a reply the next day."

and from me:

Since the problem reappeared I contacted my local distributor, and I made few things.
-Plugged out both speakers, waited 30 secs, plugged them back in.
-Didn't do a factory reset this time.
-Back to hdmi connection again.
-Someone on reddit told me to change the hdmi cable. I did change, I was using a hdmi 2.0 cable, changed it with hdmi 2.1 cable.
-And I turned off the control panel as you mentioned. No problem since I never use it.

So far it didn't turn off itself in the last 2 days. I didn't do all of them at once, so I think plug out - plug in did this, but you never know.

Btw I came from original LS50, that was in use for the last 3 years for me. I went for shopping and for this price point LS50 sound signature is best to me, followed by the Triangle Comete Ez. Did try Rubicon 5's and did not like it. And that Lyngdorf just by itself worth as the wireless II's, you even can't bi-amp passive Ls50's.

Battlebeast

If you've only had them for a few days. Return them and order a new pair. It would be much faster than dealing with a warranty claim.

Tepahe

Hello there. I have bought a new pair of ls50 wireless 2 on black friday two weeks ago. They have the exakt same problem with them turning off (just as you would push the powerbutton on top) randomly when watching tv. I'm using hdmi earc but I am pretty sure the problem is not related to cable or tv model issues. I've tried different high quality 2.1 hdmi cables as well as two different tv's. One tv was two years old and one brand new, picked up two days ago. Same problem. I've registrered a case to kef support but no solution provided yet.

Tepahe

Hello there. I have bought a new pair of ls50 wireless 2 on black friday two weeks ago. They have the exakt same problem with them turning off (just as you would push the powerbutton on top) randomly when watching tv. I'm using hdmi earc but I am pretty sure the problem is not related to cable or tv model issues. I've tried different high quality 2.1 hdmi cables as well as two different tv's. One tv was two years old and one brand new, picked up two days ago. Same problem. I've registrered a case to kef support but no solution provided yet.
The workaround to lock the top panel in the kef app solved the issue for me.

Kind regards
Patrick

Reactions: TSB

liviu007bond

Good morning...same problem here...sent message to KEF...waiting for reply...on both outputs coaxial or optical the speakers go on standby mode...tried all standby options... I think it works by locking the top panel, not sure yet...needs more testing...but it shouldn't be doing like that specifically when considering the price...any luck guys ? Cheers

Attachments

• 6C65D64B-3A2E-475F-98DA-D1E9CD7D8D2F.jpeg
    6C65D64B-3A2E-475F-98DA-D1E9CD7D8D2F.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 64

anioq

I have the same issue with the original LS50 Wireless after 5 years, no response from KEF support after initial contact. This is borderline fraud behavior from KEF.

this is me

I have the same issue with my LS50WII that I bought about 3 weeks ago. Random shutdown while listening. Even I set the auto sleep mode to be never and playing quite loud.
KEF advised to lock the top panel but this isn't a viable option and it's saying that there's an issue with the touch sensor on the panel.

Top Bottom