• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta vs KEF R3

ZRMN995

Thank you all for valuable replies and good advice.
In the mean time I had an opportunity to listen LS50W II + KC62 and I was really amazed with what I heard and landed my choice on that combo.
That doesn't leave me much room for some high-end amps/streamers, like Lyngdorf you suggested.

Could yall recommend me some good product for correction and cross-over which doesn't break the bank?
This might sound like a stupid question but I'm really new to all this and just need a few good recommendations to attach to my speakers to bring their game up :)

Last edited:

harkpabst

LS50W II already include all the amplification and streaming capabilities, there's no need for other devices (unless you want to connect e.g. a turntable or a tape recorder). It's a fully featured music playback system, active speakers with DSP and support for all kinds of streaming services, UPnP/DLNA, Bluetooth and so on.

Also, KC62 is an active subwoofer (most subs are active). Together those two will allow you to configure sub integration and apply some positioning dependant bass filtering. No need for external crossovers.

Full room EQ is currently not available from KEF. It makes no sense to try and add that through 3rd party devices because anything you want to feed into the system would have to go through this device. Thus, you would pay for all the other playback features of the LS50W II, but would not make use of the .

The whole idea behind LS50 Wireless II is that you don't need anything else, except for a smartphone or computer.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Thank you all for valuable replies and good advice.
In the mean time I had an opportunity to listen LS50W II + KC62 and I was really amazed with what I heard and landed my choice on that combo.
That doesn't leave me much room for some high-end amps/streamers, like Lyngdorf you suggested.

Could yall recommend me some good product for correction and cross-over which doesn't break the bank?
This might sound like a stupid question but I'm really new to all this and just need a few good recommendations to attach to my speakers to bring their game up :)
Join our little lobby to ask KEF for Dirac integration on their active line. ;)

I have your exact combo and I absolutely love it. It's easy to set, easy to use and will make your humble TV watching a lot, lot better.

ZRMN995

I have your exact combo and I absolutely love it. It's easy to set, easy to use and will make your humble TV watching a lot, lot better.
As far as my luck goes, the moment I buy something from the present lineup they will upgrade it and possibly include Dirac..:confused:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
As far as my luck goes, the moment I buy something from the present lineup they will upgrade it and possibly include Dirac..:confused:
The LS actives have a DSP, so if Dirac even happens, It Will be just a software upgrade.

harkpabst

The LS actives have a DSP, so if Dirac even happens, It Will be just a software upgrade.
If the DSP used in LS50 W II is powerful enough ...

... I'm somehow sure it is in the LS60 for no logical reason (other than I think KEF has been thinking about room correction during the design process).

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have heard that setup only briefly, but it had me wondering how much value I got spending 5x money on more traditional KEF setup with separate components.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have heard that setup only briefly, but it had me wondering how much value I got spending 5x money on more traditional KEF setup with separate components.
The setup was not five times the cost of a passive one. I guess that depends on where you buy it.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The setup was not five times the cost of a passive one. I guess that depends on where you buy it.
I had the 5x setup. R5, 2xkf92, Denon 4700, ncore power amp

roigen

Hi.

I've been enjoying an Atmos 5.1.4 system for six years now. My surrounds and Atmos speakers are Kef E301s and Kef T101s. My LCR speakers have been Kef R100s, which have worked well until recently. My center Kef R100 broke and it is not worth it to get it repaired. I also cannot find them new anywhere. Been using a phantom, but miss the center speaker. So...

I either need a new center that matches with the other speakers, or I could replace the Left and Right speakers and move one of the remaining Kef 100s to center duties (AV stand has 11 inches [279 mm] of room heightwise) Cannot afford to replace all three at once, but will down the line. I would not mind getting a slight upgrade on sound, but tonal matching is also important. Current options are:

Kef LS50 Meta (999 euros per pair on sale, 650 for one)
Kef R3 (1199 euros per pair on sale, 750 for one)
Kef R2 Meta center (1199 euros on sale)

Revel M16 (799 per pair on sale)
(Probably will not match)

What do you guys think?

Top Bottom