• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From last 24h I read a lot of reviews, youtubes videos, and stuff technical, I have to much information. I don't have choice to test any amp before buy.

So with my setup (bookshelds and svs 1000, and dac, and looking to the future maybe CD player and Vinly).

I will see better the Rega Elex R and the audiolab 8300a.

If I choose separate pieces, probably I will buy the pre amp - mini dsp flex (looking to the future) with Audiophonics MPA-S125NC. Thank you eveyone. Lets see next 48h :)

I have the MiniDSP and been very happy with it. Amir has reviewed both the Flex and the Tradutto and the Flex DAC had better performance so you could sell the Earmen.

The LS50 Meta's weak link is the bass and I think you would benefit having them high passed somewhere between 80-120Hz when using with your sub (not sure if you're doing it now). Also digital room correction can bring a big improvement. The Flex would make it easy, especially with Dirac.

I also second the Hypex NCore 122 or 252 recommendation, I would expect them to outperform the Rega and the Audiolab. Less noisy, less distortion, higher damping factor, cheaper. Not sure where you are located but if you are in Europe Boxem Audio based in Luxembourg has very nice NCore power amps with auto on/off and clipping indicator. The Audiophonics amps are great as well if you don't mind a simpler case.

Toblerone

I still can't believe I went for it and got the system I wanted and actually own these speakers. They are the perfect size for my space and sound incredible, especially when pulled away a few feet from the wall.

My favorite part is going pure direct mode on the Marantz AVR bypassing the sub altogether and being perfectly content with the low end.

My end game will be to eventually transition these to desktop speakers for nearfield listening and get some r3 metas or whatever is available when I have a bigger space.

Last edited:

airgas1998

after about 6 hrs of on and off listening to them and "breaking" them in I can without doubt say these are very good speakers. the detail that i now hear with recordings is just crazy. as an example i was listening to a live track, and i could hear someone in the audience sniffling, and on another someone ruffling through papers..i'm using all rotel equipment for them with a sub integrated which seems to handle them nicely. i only wish i had a hpf for them as they still get the entire bandwidth, but i don't listen at crazy levels(75dB-85dBmax) so they seem just fine..they also seem to have great build quality with nice optional colors to choose(mineral white for me)...

jrMes1

Hello,

After some research, reviews, your opionions :) ...I buyed today (online) the amplifier AUDIOPHONICS LPA-S500NC, and the preamp MUSICIAN MONOCEROS Preamplifier. (The only setup I have today is my dac tradutto and the speaks & subwoofer)

My choiced was based to improve everthing in LS50 Meta with subwoofer, and until end of the year I will adquire CD player and Vinly com complete the setup.

Wish me luck :)

See you

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From last 24h I read a lot of reviews, youtubes videos, and stuff technical, I have to much information. I don't have choice to test any amp before buy.

So with my setup (bookshelds and svs 1000, and dac, and looking to the future maybe CD player and Vinly).

I will see better the Rega Elex R and the audiolab 8300a.

If I choose separate pieces, probably I will buy the pre amp - mini dsp flex (looking to the future) with Audiophonics MPA-S125NC. Thank you eveyone. Lets see next 48h :)

s400 mk II hasn't been reviewed here but the Buchhardt s400 was favorably reviewed here in the first iteration, and has a 45 day trial and free return period.

I would say for a preamplifier get the Schiit Saga or Freya in the solid state version, both are cheaper and bargains in their price range. Freya gets you balanced lines if you have long runs in your system.

For an amplifier normally I would recommend Schiit Vidar or Aegir, but Vidar might be a little too grungy for your high energy powerful treble (however it measures, the treble hits me in the head with your speakers) and Aegir not enough power (though I bet you'd be fine).

Happily, many class D amps are around that will give you clean power and not emphasize the trebley Keffy sound. Frankly, all the HyPex modules seem to measure within 'it doesn't matter' so you can choose on the power you need (say, 60 watts per channel at 8 ohms) and the features you need for audio, connections, video, w/e. I would pick a cheap one. But Amir has reviewed many for $500 with Freya or $800 with Saga you'll have plenty of cash to choose.

Last edited:

csroc

Considering three of these for HT use as my LCR, but also the HSU CCB-8. Reading beyond the graph shared earlier, it seems a key point missed in discussion here (maybe?) is that the CCB-8 are designed to be toed in 15 degrees. I am curious how that impacts usage as a center channel though, although given the price point I may well try them anyway. Worst case, I suppose the center could be angled up or down too, perhaps? Down in my room would have the direct response firing in to the carpet.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering three of these for HT use as my LCR, but also the HSU CCB-8. Reading beyond the graph shared earlier, it seems a key point missed in discussion here (maybe?) is that the CCB-8 are designed to be toed in 15 degrees. I am curious how that impacts usage as a center channel though, although given the price point I may well try them anyway. Worst case, I suppose the center could be angled up or down too, perhaps? Down in my room would have the direct response firing in to the carpet.
I have read about people angling them over their head. That's what I would recommend.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Could someone one who is a wizard with graphs can post the comparison of the LS50 vs the LS50 Meta?

Is it truly worth upgrading to the meta?

envydd

Forum Donor
I have both and I can’t make out a huge difference in most streaming recordings. The upper frequencies in the meta are a little smoother though. I also have the R3 which can play louder and lower but don’t sound much better the LS50s either.

Measurements aside: The LS50s have won our hearts due to the design and sound quality combo that we have not outgrown yet.

Non audio stuff: I love the white and blue driver combo of the LS50 that can’t be found anywhere and I picked up another pair from a dealer at clearance as a backup in case the driver fails. The ls50 meta driver color combos won’t work for that room decor the sq difference is irrelevant!

Descartes

Major Contributor
I have both and I can’t make out a huge difference in most streaming recordings. The upper frequencies in the meta are a little smoother though. I also have the R3 which can play louder and lower but don’t sound much better the LS50s either.

Measurements aside: The LS50s have won our hearts due to the design and sound quality combo that we have not outgrown yet.

Non audio stuff: I love the white and blue driver combo of the LS50 that can’t be found anywhere and I picked up another pair from a dealer at clearance as a backup in case the driver fails. The ls50 meta driver color combos won’t work for that room decor the sq difference is irrelevant!
So in your opinion not worth it!

Anyone else, begs to differ?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could someone one who is a wizard with graphs can post the comparison of the LS50 vs the LS50 Meta?

Is it truly worth upgrading to the meta?
I own both since they were released, here I had done some comparative measurements:

Without EQ I would take the Meta anytime as the mid bump of the original is a too big deviation from neutral sound for me, with EQ I the differences are small(er).

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The best LS50
_16847_orig.jpg

Streamc

Do you love R3?

Streamc

I love the R3, especially at louder volumes and in my large room. I have moved my ls50s to my smaller rooms.
Did you try to listen RE in a small room? Thanks!
What the source are you using? I mean DAC or preamp.

envydd

Forum Donor
Did you try to listen RE in a small room? Thanks!
What the source are you using? I mean DAC or preamp.
No the r3 is in my larger room from day 1. I use a purifi power amp with a minidsp flex. I have also tried with other dacs like smsl su9.

FWIW I initially found the r3 to be dark. It took 3 mo to open up.

Streamc

No the r3 is in my larger room from day 1. I use a purifi power amp with a minidsp flex. I have also tried with other dacs like smsl su9.

FWIW I initially found the r3 to be dark. It took 3 mo to open up.
I have Purifi 1ET400 too. Previous was Ayima 07. Sometimes they seems to be dark but maybe it is room. How do you find minidsp flex vs smsl su9?
Anyway, I think I need room treatment and add subwoower for more lower frequencies. They have decent bass control but I need lower bass.

testp

Holy cow... kef is releasing something new in ls series, ls60 wireless floorstanders..

but deamn.. do i dislike side-firing woofers, i had some highend ones that were crossed over at <150Hz and i could easily notice some impactfulness lost, switched back to front firing ones and everything was fine..

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy cow... kef is releasing something new in ls series, ls60 wireless floorstanders..

but deamn.. do i dislike side-firing woofers, i had some highend ones that were crossed over at <150Hz and i could easily notice some impactfulness lost, switched back to front firing ones and everything was fine..
Under about 150 Hz humans have a very hard time determining directionality, and once you get below 80 Hz they have almost no chance. Ports exist on the front and backs of speakers that operate at those frequencies as well. Those wavelengths pass through objects before bouncing off the walls and ending up at your ears; it makes no difference which way they are facing.

Top Bottom