• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended amplification for KEF 103/3 4Ohm 92dB

SonicSleuth

Hello everyone!

I'm reaching out to talk and seek advice about my audio setup. I usually listen to music at around 87dB from a distance of 2.5-2.8 meters in a medium-sized UK room. My speakers the KEF Reference 103/3 include the KEF KUBE, which forms part of the crossover, they dont sound right without it. Therefore, I need an amplifier with a pre out/main in to integrate this KUBE. I'm looking at buying used amplifiers and don't mind older as I dont mind doing some repairs like changing capacitors or transistors, especially if it means getting a high-quality amp at a lower cost due to minor fixes needed.

Here are the specifications of my speakers for your convenience:

- Type: Three-way system with three drivers
- Frequency Response: 50Hz to 20kHz
- Recommended Amplifier Power: 50 to 200W
- Impedance: 4Ω
- Sensitivity: 92dB
- Bass: 200mm cone
- Midrange: 160mm polypropylene cone
- Tweeter: T33 soft dome
- Enclosure Volume: 28 litres
- Size: 575 x 265 x 317mm
- Weight: 17kg
- Manufacture Year: 1986

I've confused my system buying them tbh but it is what it is, with my current equipment they're not compatible:

- Trio KA-6100 (which I restored)
- AudioLab 8000A
- Sansui AU222 (also restored by me)
- Aiyima TPA3255 (a different model, not the A07)

I also have a few other speakers:

- Kelly KT3
- B&W DM2 Series 2
- IMF Super Compact Mk1

My taste swings from vintage to modern gear.

My audio source is an Oppo BDP-105EU and a Wiim Pro feeding into its Sabre32 DAC. The Oppo can technically be used as a preamplifier with its volume control, but I've heard this isn't ideal. I considered the Musical Paradise preamp but wonder if it's too much for my speakers' resolution?

I'm looking for options on eBay or similar UK-based platforms. I understand many of you are in the US, though.

I've been reading a lot about this, and it gets quite technical, which can be overwhelming.

My budget is ideally under £1,000, or around £780. Im always after a major bargain if It can be had for 250, why spend more? Also open to aliexpress amps.

Here are pictures of my room with the speakers on 40mm dense rubber flooring tiles from a gym floor, as it's a new apartment!

Looking forward to your thoughts and advice!

Heres my room..
20231116_204331.jpg

20231206_175749.jpg

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Maybe a NAD C3050.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool room! I have some B&W DM2000s for sale if you want to add to the collection... :D

radix

Major Contributor
A lot of McIntosh gear has PREAMP OUT and MAIN IN, or sometimes it's called EXTERNAL PROCESSOR TO/FROM. These are meant for the McIntosh speaker equalizers, which I think is the same thing as the KUBE for the 103/3.

You could get a preamp only or integrated preamp/amp, or a receiver. They most all have the out/in or to/from jacks. At least the vintage gear, which is what would be in your price range. As you are looking for an amp too, an integrated (e.g. MA6100) or receiver (e.g. MAC4100) would work.

I'm sure there's modern stuff too that has pre out/main in, but I can't think of it right this moment.

Those 92dB speakers don't need much amplification. 100wpc is way more than you need. 87dB @ 3m, with 10dB of headroom only needs 28w with those speakers.

Waxx

Major Contributor
You can use any amplifier, just put the cube between your dac and the amplifier (even if it's an integrated). As you only have one analog source line (the dac), it will work.

Amps with inserts are rare, and the cube is actually ment to be used with a seperate preamp/Power amp combo. But as long as it's fed by a line level source (your dac is like that) it does not matter that much if the volume control is before or after the cube eq that comes with this speaker. Also, the cube is just an simple eq to boost the bass, a dsp can do that a lot more precise and better actually today. Thiseq was relevant in the 1980's for this speaker, but now not anymore i think.

I don't know what is availeble in the UK (since the brexit i'm not following that market, as it's not interesting anymore for EU citizen), but i know someone who use the 103/3 reference with the cube, and he just put the cube between his dac (a RME one) and his power amp (an custom Hypex Ncore power amp with own opamp based preamp with volume control) and it works perfect. The speaker needs about 100w like said to go loud enough (but more power is not a problem).

Top Bottom