• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef Blade 2 vs Revel Salon 2s [can only demo one of them] - totally over thinking it - please help

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I went down the thought process of spending a lot on speakers in an apartment setup. Ultimately I felt that there were too many unsolvable problems to make it worthwhile.

Ended up putting that toward house downpayment (California RIP). Can't say if it was worth it from sound quality perspective. It's been 2 weeks and I haven't set anything up lol.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I finally did - I’m stilling waiting on the credenza to be finished before sharing pics

I got a hella deal on the Salon2s (powered by some benchmark ahb2 amps) and I’m over the moon... currently designing some acoustic panels and very very happy

Awesome!

Just don't go crazy on the panels (especially for the sidewalls). The revel's claim to fame is their superbly uniform wide directivity :)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have heard the Kef Blade 2 on numerous occasions in different rooms with various amplifications, and must say they are extraordinarily good-sounding speakers. When I directly compared them against Kii Three BXT, I found the Blade's to be smoother and more refined from the midrange and up making it sound sweeter and more relaxed at loud spl. Below 250 hz it's no contest as the BXT is just mind boggling.

I'm not so sure the Blade is better than the Reference series even though Kef would like you to think so. The Reference series isn't a point coincident source like the Blade, but the off-axis response is smoother. I haven't compared them side by side, but I've heard some highly experienced people say that they find the Reference series more fun and entertaining, whatever that means. To me they sound about the same even though the Blade is far more expensive with more fancy drivers and enclosure. Which, of course, means that I find the Blade to be too expensive for the level of performance they provide.

Disregarding anecdotal impressions, my opinion in your case is that any such expensive speaker will be wasted in a listening environment like that. For the same amount (or less) you would get far more performance with cheaper speakers, a few subwoofers, dsp and some dedicated acoustical treatment for first reflections. Whether that would be the Revels or something much cheaper isn't for me to say, but I'd start with good-measuring cheap active speakers, multi-channel dsp like a MiniDsp and a few woofers to get a feel for what level of performance you're likely to get in your living room. Here's the issues I can see;

- Close proximity to back wall will lead to bass problems and uncomfortable levels of first reflection sound power.
- Close proximity to glass wall on one side and a more open space on the other side will lead to a shift in stereo imaging towards the glass wall as well as a "hard" sound due to uneven frequency dependent reflections.
- Speaker in a corner will make the bass situation worse and will overpower the inherent clarity of quality speakers.

I can relate to your room because my listening room is very much alike, and I can present you with a lot of measurements to show the inherent problems in such an environment as well as the effect of acoustical treatments and dsp to counter it. While it's hypothetically never a bad idea to get as good speakers as one can, there's a point where better speakers becomes irrelevant to the overall sound quality in a given environment.
In this case I'd say that this point comes quite early in the price range of quality speakers and therefore you'd be better off fixing the worst of the room problems with other means instead of throwing more money at the problem.
Best bet might be the Dutch & Dutch 8Cs.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And I think their price premium is for the aesthetics of the design which won't be liked by everyone, but will be loved by those who want a contemporary design.

KEF has a cross promotion with Porsche. As for the price premium, in high end audio, it's hard to say.

steve59

Major Contributor
I am going to own a pair of blade or blade 2 speakers b4 I die. even if for only a little while.

steve59

Major Contributor
I had the salon 2 and now own a pair of kef blade speakers, but if my preference was 40% music with a equal mixing of gaming and television I would lower my budget considerably. Buy a pair of JBL or Klipsch that will be fun and dynamic.

When comparing 2 pair of speakers at +$20k the only wrong answer is buying the pair someone else tells you to buy. buyers remorse is very real and buying something because folk on a forum tell you to, especially the fanatics that tell you not to trust your ears! Trust this you'll be listening with your own ears so buy the ones you like, preferably with a home demo.

Top Bottom