• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef blade 2 meta frequency response

CapMan

Major Contributor
Cymbals should sound a bit harsh, on kefs it’s nice easy, you hear them with tiny nuances but that shimmer, glare it’s not there.
As a drummer I have no idea what this means! It’s a nonsense statement. Go to a decent drum store, go to their cymbal room and look at how many variations of ‘cymbals’ they sell - play a few of them and I think you might understand how unhelpful/meaningless this statement is.

OP
D

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As a drummer I have no idea what this means! It’s a nonsense statement. Go to a decent drum store, go to their cymbal room and look at how many variations of ‘cymbals’ they sell - play a few of them and I think you might understand how unhelpful/meaningless this statement is.
I am not a Drummer and I don’t have to be a drummer to hear the difference between several cymbals. In real life some cymbals have very loud harsch top end, have heard it so many times in my life. On kefs, it’s very polite easy to listen no matter what kind of cymbal is there in the mix.

CapMan

Major Contributor
I am not a Drummer and I don’t have to be a drummer to hear the difference between several cymbals. In real life some cymbals have very loud harsch top end, have heard it so many times in my life. On kefs, it’s very polite easy to listen no matter what kind of cymbal is there in the mix.

Nope, still not getting it. All cymbals sound the same on the Kefs?

chouca

You're making rather broad and absolute statements about all KEFs without any qualification or context. It would be much more useful to say on which KEFs, in which context, with which songs, you had which perceived, subjective experience, relative to which other speakers. Otherwise it seems like trolling or sniping.

In my room, my Blade Two Metas can actually sound a bit aggressive at times compared to the Perlisten S7t in the same room. They are neither polite nor homogenous. I'm still experimenting with placement and toe-in, so it's nothing that I would report on conclusively yet.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
In my room, my Blade Two Metas can actually sound a bit aggressive at times compared to the Perlisten S7t in the same room.
That should not be a surprise. ;)

OP
D

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You're making rather broad and absolute statements about all KEFs without any qualification or context. It would be much more useful to say on which KEFs, in which context, with which songs, you had which perceived, subjective experience, relative to which other speakers. Otherwise it seems like trolling or sniping.

In my room, my Blade Two Metas can actually sound a bit aggressive at times compared to the Perlisten S7t in the same room. They are neither polite nor homogenous. I'm still experimenting with placement and toe-in, so it's nothing that I would report on conclusively yet.
I don’t think I need any specific qualification to comment on kefs. I guess I am free to write about them after listening to them.

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
I suspect most recordings of cymbals have a fair degree of compression applied, given the dynamics (of course there will be exceptions). I’d expect much of the impact to be lost in the recording & production process, so it wouldn’t surprise me if playback on even the best loudspeakers would be compromised (given the upstream processing). Just an aside, as this made me consider if I’d ever heard a fully realistic cymbal with full dynamic range within a commercial recording (I don’t think I have).

chouca

I don’t think I need any specific qualification to comment on kefs. I guess I am free to write about them after listening to them.

I didn't mean your qualifications or credentials. I meant qualifiers to your statements as in definition 2 below:

qual·i·fied
/ˈkwäləˌfīd/
adjective
officially recognized as being trained to perform a particular job; certified.
"newly qualified nurses"

not complete or absolute; limited.
"I could only judge this CD a qualified success"

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Interesting! Can you elaborate?
There are reports of the particular sonic characteristics these two speakers from many sources, including me. I did not have them in house at the same time but my reactions to them were quite different.

chouca

There are reports of the particular sonic characteristics these two speakers from many sources, including me. I did not have them in house at the same time but my reactions to them were quite different.

In my room, the Blades disappear wonderfully, throw a very coherent image, and have better bass, but sound a bit less smooth tonally.

The Perlistens did not disappear or create a coherent image and had very little bass, but sounded smoother across their operating frequency range.

I'll have to re-read reviews to see if I can tease that out of them, but I guess I have been a little surprised!

CapMan

Major Contributor
I suspect most recordings of cymbals have a fair degree of compression applied, given the dynamics (of course there will be exceptions). I’d expect much of the impact to be lost in the recording & production process, so it wouldn’t surprise me if playback on even the best loudspeakers would be compromised (given the upstream processing). Just an aside, as this made me consider if I’d ever heard a fully realistic cymbal with full dynamic range within a commercial recording (I don’t think I have).
Thing is ‘cymbal’ is a totally useless general term that is meaningless when describing subjective hearing.

Ride cymbals, crash cymbals, hihat cymbals, china cymbals, thin, medium, heavy, 10”, 14” .. 22”.. diameters , played on the edge, played on the bow , played on the bell, played with a nylon tip or wooden tip stick, struck with a soft mallet, vintage or modern, played by a competent drummer or an idiot, which alloy - B12, B10.. , hammered, lathed, both … machine made or made by hand … profile of the bow, size of the bell ….dark, brilliant, trashy, mellow …

Seriously folks - cymbals are designed to have a ‘sound’ and drummers choose them because they want a particular sound .

Can we please stop talking about ‘cymbals’ sound in these generic ways :)

Happy to talk about Jimmy Cobb’s famous cymbal crash on Kind of Blue and how that specifically sounds . That is meaningful and more objective

Dbassist

Ding, ding, ding!

We aren't listening back to an event. We are listening to the presentation of captured events, and there is plenty that can, and does, go on between the event itself and playback.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I had the opportunity to listen to the Kef blade 2 meta this week. The listening room was a good one and the speakers had very good electronics and source to drive them. It was a total setup for maybe 80000 dollars.

Very good sound, clean, three dimensional, lots of details, no integration problem at the 400 Hz crossover and they could play loud . One con was obvious in this setup - they didnt go down to 20 Hz and there is maybe a bit to little bass energy and to little ”slam” below 40 Hz . This can probably change with another placement of the speaker or/and using PEQ which is mandatory anyway. As it was, it needed a bass boost of maybe 3-5 dB below 40 Hz.

This subjective fault in the deep bass is only relevant if I compare with the best bass I have heard.

It would be interesting what other listener might think of this ? Kal Rubinson ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The listening room was a good one and the speakers had very good electronics and source to drive them. It was a total setup for maybe 80000 dollars.
That they spent $50k on supporting electronics makes me lose respect more than anything else.

Tells me that the people behind the setup are either gullible enough to fall for the snake oil, or they willfully support the snake oil.

Tangband

Major Contributor

This review mirrors my own listening experience .

” We played Philip Glass’s 1000 Airplanes on the Roof not from our usual vinyl album but a version streaming on the Linn Klimax DSM from Qobuz, performed by French-Canadian chamber orchestra Les Violons des Roys. Their version has a wailing lead male vocal which is a little too foregrounded compared with the female vocal on the LP we know, but mercy, the orchestral space behind it was absolutely magnificent, so open and clear of confusion, with all the instruments so naturally portrayed in their attack and decay. The gaps between instruments and the gaps between notes combined to yield the impression of a background silence over which the performance punched out into the room.
One reason we had played this track was to check the bottom octave of bass, which seemed just a little light, despite the Blade 2 Meta’s stated low-end of 35Hz at -3dB. Another track for testing that is Neil Young’s Walk With Me, from ‘Le Noise’, where there’s a bass note over the opening chords and periodically through the track which drops into the 30s of hertz. The KEFs didn’t roll it out in full, though it was certainly present. ”

————

My comment : as a DIY builder , I can clearly see that the Blade 2 Meta is under-tuned slightly above 30 Hz . There is no bass evident at 20 Hz .

With some insertions inside the bass tubes making them slightly smaller , one can tune this speaker slightly lower and at the same time using dsp can make this speaker a really good performer in the deep base .

Last edited:
Top Bottom