• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kanto yu6 and a Sub

Specgeetti

So I bought a Kanto Yu6 and have wanted to add a sub to it.

I am considering SVS SB-1000 Pro Active Subwoofer or a Kanto Sub8, or any suggestion you guys can give if the two suggested are not good enough... advise please

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Member @sweetchaos has put together a subwoofer comparison that should be helpful for you. You can find it here:

KantoLiving

Audio Company
The SVS SB-1000 and our Sub8 are not comparable, the SVS goes about a full octave lower than sub8 can. Our sub8 will still add a good amount of extension to YU6 and, obviously, will match it in terms of aesthetics - I think that second point matters a lot to some people. Though I am inherently biased, I try to urge people to try sub8 when they are on a budget but if you have the ability to spend $600 on a subwoofer there are some legit choices like the RSL Speedwoofer 10S and options from HSU. I made a video about why we choose to make sealed subs if that helps you understand why I think they are a better "budget" choice.

Tyrius

I just tried an SVS SB-1000 Pro with a YU6. I am getting almost no volume out of the sub at all (to the point where I can faintly here it, up close at a -0dB setting on the SVS). There is a decent chance I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what I could try.

I'll try some more configurations next week, if you have ideas/input I'd be glad to hear them :)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you running a single RCA mono connection into just one of the sub's inputs? In that case maybe try using a Y RCA splitter cable into L and R sub inputs to get a greater summed input? Maybe that won't be enough from the sound of it though.
edit: this in reply to the #4 post above. Didn't catch that you are not the OP.

Last edited:

Tyrius

Are you running a single RCA mono connection into just one of the sub's inputs? In that case maybe try using a Y RCA splitter cable into L and R sub inputs to get a greater summed input? Maybe that won't be enough from the sound of it though.
edit: this in reply to the #4 post above. Didn't catch that you are not the OP.
I am indeed currently running a single RCA from the sub-out to the input marked "LFE" as per SVS manual for mono connections.
I heard a Y-Cable can get me a boost, but I do no currently have one and will try a different source next to see how loud the sub gets there.
Even though I doubt a few dB would give me the (honestly very moderate!) volume I'm after, I'll probably try that if other attempts bring no improvement, so thanks for the suggestion!

Tyrius

I did some quick testing with REW, and am now happy with the blend I get with a pair of Kanto TUKs, since it's a different physical location I sadly can't retest with the YU6 to confirm what went wrong the first time.

To finally also write something helpful for the OP: The SB-1000 Pro is a very capable little sub, I have a very good initial impression of it.

Top Bottom