• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions about my future setup: Kanto YU6 + turntable

audiovic

Hi all,

I own about 200 vinyls I haven't listened to for at least 20 years. I have decided this situation should stop, and after reading threads on ASR, my planned setup is:

• Kanto YU6 active speakers (space issue)
  • Rega or Audio Technica or Project entry level turntable
My questions are:

• after a while, if I want to upgrade my setup, could I add a dedicated amp between the turntable and the speakers, bypassing the internal Kanto amp ?
  • Amir recommends the YU6 but beinbg EQed. What kind of hardware equalizer could I add to the system ?
  • My initial budget is 1000 € / $ for the whole system (speakers + turntable + EQ).

Thanks a lot for your help.

staticV3

Master Contributor
after a while, if I want to upgrade my setup, could I add a dedicated amp between the turntable and the speakers, bypassing the internal Kanto amp ?
The YU6 does not have speaker level inputs, so you cannot feed it from an external Power Amp.
Even if you could, it would not be an upgrade, but a side grade at best.

Amir recommends the YU6 but beinbg EQed. What kind of hardware equalizer could I add to the system ?
WiiM Pro would be my pick.
The signal chain would then be TT->Phono pre->WiiM Line in->WiiM Toslink out->YU6 Toslink in.

ozzy9832001

I use the YU6's in my office. You should be happy with them. They have decent performance for their price. Big upgrade from their previous 2 models. I feel they got them right.

As for the phono, Static has the best answer.

OP
audiovic

audiovic

@staticV3 Thanks a lot for your answer. What kind of phono preamp do you recommend ?

Also, this means the WiiM Pro converts the signal to digital. This precludes any pure analog sound right ? (I know this could be controversial ;-))

Galliardist

Major Contributor
@staticV3 Thanks a lot for your answer. What kind of phono preamp do you recommend ?

Also, this means the WiiM Pro converts the signal to digital. This precludes any pure analog sound right ? (I know this could be controversial ;-))
The YU6 has a built in phono preamp. If you want "pure analogue sound" plug it in there. You forego EQ, of course, but save some money.

Looking at the review, though, the EQ was a really good idea on the reviewed speaker, and you won't lose anything in the sound from the speaker by digitising the phono signal.

Even so, if you are on a tight budget and only using the speakers for the turntable, I'd try the built in phono first, you may not need anything more. If you are going to stream to them as well anyway, might as well include the phono preamp and have the EQ on everything.

Why not look for a turntable with built in phono like the Planar 1 PLUS or one of the Projects with one, in that case? Keep it simple.

blabla

I bought the YU6 account because of the remote control and Bluetooth for my minimal bedroom setup. I also use it to play my records, but I had to find out that it works quite well and is sufficient for listening on the side, but an Art DJ 2 pre alone brings clearly audible advantages. So unfortunately one more box ;)

Top Bottom