• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP6 v2 speaker cone rattling/vibrating noise after low end notes (with sound example). Normal monitor behaviour?

Slyman

Dear audio scientists

I bought my LP6 v2 and was thoroughly impressed with the sound until i loaded up ableton and tried to record some bass. To my surprise when doing low end the cone/woofers make a sound of like aftershaking or vibrating after each bass note. Sort of like a papery rattling kinda noise. I uploaded the sound in the zip file here (i could only upload as .zip not a regular mp3).

Does anyone know if this is natural behavior from monitors with lower bass? I really love the sound of these monitors but this is quite intruding. It is masked however in full songs with higher frequencies in it but will this always be present?

Both of the monitors does it so i assume its not just one of them that has an irregular fault.

Any help is appreciated. Also i'd be happy to make answers regarding to these otherwise awesome monitors.

Attachments

• Speaker chuff.mp3.zip
    532.4 KB · Views: 141
OP
S

Slyman

Yes, I hear it too. It's like a loose wire or something. Frequency sweep with this and see what you find>
Frequency sweep reveals nothing. It's more when sounds have an attack and the cones rattle afterwards. Both monitors have it so either i'm very unlucky they both have a loose wire, the cone of the woofer is wierd or its perfectly normal. The signal is not running hot in case anyone is wondering.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well if the freq sweep was good then that does narrow things down a bit I suppose. Have you tried a different source?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It sounds like plastic film, not a wire loose.

Are you sure it's not the microphone itself? Where is it placed with respect to the speaker/ports.

raindance

Major Contributor
Can't you play the same sound through different speakers or even headphones? It could be the sound itself that is distorted in some way, many instruments in Ableton are not "clean".

OP
S

Slyman

It sounds like plastic film, not a wire loose.

Are you sure it's not the microphone itself? Where is it placed with respect to the speaker/ports.
Can't you play the same sound through different speakers or even headphones? It could be the sound itself that is distorted in some way, many instruments in Ableton are not "clean".
I'm 100% sure that it's the speakers itself and they both do it. I've tried various sounds also kick drums.

Can it really be a mechanical flaw in the speakers? Must say pretty sad to let them go they are otherwise awesome.

suzook

I'm 100% sure that it's the speakers itself and they both do it. I've tried various sounds also kick drums.

Can it really be a mechanical flaw in the speakers? Must say pretty sad to let them go they are otherwise awesome.
I bet it's a flaw with the amp. I emailed kali, still no response

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Did you ensure that
- it does not occur when listing via headphones
- Ableton isn’t clipping
- CPU isn’t overloaded temporarily

OP
S

Slyman

Please post the source file.
Did you ensure that
- it does not occur when listing via headphones
- Ableton isn’t clipping
- CPU isn’t overloaded temporarily
Ok here is an upload of the source file and a new file where you hear the woofer rattle better (i high-passed it a bit). It's even more pronounced irl than on the recordering (recording lol).

I did ensure everything. Nothing is clipping, going hot, no hot signal, and nothing to hear on other systems. Both speakers are doing this. I still suspect it's a design flaw in the kalis. You dont notice it when music is playing because all of the other frequencies are occupied, but when recording bass or kicks or the like its very apparent. I guess its fine for the living room but for music production i can't accept it.

Here is vocaroos of the mp3 files if its easier for you guys:

https://vocaroo.com/1adIy69CMWeU (rattle)
https://vocaroo.com/12qAiGvuiMFY (source)

At this point tho i might just contact @KaliAudio_Official if i'm bothering you guys too much. It's so sad tho as i really love these monitors and there is no replacement for equal size/performance... Jbl 306 has front ports and hiss, adam t7v has no data, focal alpha evo has a low score, gotta upgrade to neumanns kh80+sub or the like but thats another price class.

Attachments

• Rattle + source.zip
    397.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

suzook

Ok here is an upload of the source file and a new file where you hear the woofer rattle better (i high-passed it a bit). It's even more pronounced irl than on the recordering (recording lol).

I did ensure everything. Nothing is clipping, going hot, no hot signal, and nothing to hear on other systems. Both speakers are doing this. I still suspect it's a design flaw in the kalis. You dont notice it when music is playing because all of the other frequencies are occupied, but when recording bass or kicks or the like its very apparent.

Here is vocaroos of the mp3 files if its easier for you guys:

https://vocaroo.com/1adIy69CMWeU (rattle)
https://vocaroo.com/12qAiGvuiMFY (source)

At this point tho i might just contact @KaliAudio_Official if i'm bothering you guys too much. It's so sad tho as i really love these monitors and there is no replacement for equal size/performance... Jbl 306 has front ports and hiss, adam t7v and focal alpha evo has no data, gotta upgrade to neumanns kh80+sub or the like but thats another price class.
Welp, yup, I have the same issue with mine. As stated, don't hear it with music, but playing that? There's something majorly wrong. I hear it at times with my modeler and guitar. @KaliAudio_Official hasn't gotten back to me about this issue. I think its actually an issue with the drivers, I can sort of manipulate it putting my fingers on the cone. And playing this same thing through my other speakers, NO ISSUE.

OP
S

Slyman

Welp, yup, I have the same issue with mine. As stated, don't hear it with music, but playing that? There's something majorly wrong. I hear it at times with my modeler and guitar. @KaliAudio_Official hasn't gotten back to me about this issue. I think its actually an issue with the drivers, I can sort of manipulate it putting my fingers on the cone.
Ah sad. They are a little bit of a hassle to return... Which monitors are you going to buy instead?

suzook

Ah sad. They are a little bit of a hassle to return... Which monitors are you going to buy instead?
No idea. I actually loved the sound of the sterling mx5(guitar center brand), but the transformer hum annoyed me. GC is gonna think I am nuts. Wish kali would let us know what's going on. We cant be the only ones with this issue. I used eq, and -6 on 31, and -6 on 62, and noise is gone. WTF??? I almost thinking its an amp/crossover issue allowing the woofer to go below its rated frequency? IDK if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
OP
S

Slyman

I can make it happen using this between 35 and 70hz. it doesnt rattle when its on a frequency, but it does when you change it to the next higher or lower frequency. These things are trash
Exactly. Same here. When you do the jumps.

suzook

Exactly. Same here. When you do the jumps.
Well we both have defective monitors. I'm hoping to hear back from @KaliAudio_Official this week. Otherwise they get returned. What a disappointment. I might just go back to the sterling mx5's I had and deal with the low hum of the transformers they use. The class a/b amps in them were dead quiet, ZERO hiss.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
I suspect you're exceeding what woofers this size can do. If you had a 6.5" woofer bass amp, would you expect it to be able to make the sounds you're expecting? My bass practice amp definitely can't. Maybe if you need that kind of bass fidelity, you should look into getting subwoofers.

Top Bottom