• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP6 v2 speaker cone rattling/vibrating noise after low end notes (with sound example). Normal monitor behaviour?

suzook

I guess it could be a really small batch that had the issue. But I reckon just return them if you can and move on to something you are happy with owning.
Yup, returning them tomorrow. I never heard back from them. 3 emails, 4 days later. Horrendous customer support. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Ok here is an upload of the source file and a new file where you hear the woofer rattle better (i high-passed it a bit). It's even more pronounced irl than on the recordering (recording lol).

I did ensure everything. Nothing is clipping, going hot, no hot signal, and nothing to hear on other systems. Both speakers are doing this. I still suspect it's a design flaw in the kalis. You dont notice it when music is playing because all of the other frequencies are occupied, but when recording bass or kicks or the like its very apparent. I guess its fine for the living room but for music production i can't accept it.

Here is vocaroos of the mp3 files if its easier for you guys:

https://vocaroo.com/1adIy69CMWeU (rattle)
https://vocaroo.com/12qAiGvuiMFY (source)

At this point tho i might just contact @KaliAudio_Official if i'm bothering you guys too much. It's so sad tho as i really love these monitors and there is no replacement for equal size/performance... Jbl 306 has front ports and hiss, adam t7v has no data, focal alpha evo has a low score, gotta upgrade to neumanns kh80+sub or the like but thats another price class.
I have the KH80/750/MA1 hooked up to Ableton. I like them. Good customer support too. Also, one of the engineers or lead designer is a member in this forum and responds when addressed.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Hey sorry you've been trying to get in touch and haven't heard back. Looks like all the customer service tickets from the Holiday have at least been answered, so you should have heard back by now. If not, feel free to email me directly: [email protected]

Could be a defect, could be old firmware. We'll get it sorted out for you!

suzook

Hey sorry you've been trying to get in touch and haven't heard back. Looks like all the customer service tickets from the Holiday have at least been answered, so you should have heard back by now. If not, feel free to email me directly: [email protected]

Thanks for replying back. Unfortunately I just got back from returning them. And I never did receive any emails back. Appreciate your reply.

OP
S

Slyman

Welcome to the thread Kali. Lovely speakers you make but if you listen to the file i uploaded something is wrong with them. I think i'll just return them to thomann, but maybe its worth for you guys to investigate.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Those guys probably took 2 weeks off I wouldn't be expecting a response yet, it's not a big company.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those guys probably took 2 weeks off I wouldn't be expecting a response yet, it's not a big company.
Yeps. We shut the electronics repair shop down from Dec 24th to Jan 4th every year. We found the amount of customer service required between those dates was absurd for some reason and we all voted to shut it down and take a rest. :D Camcorder repairs went through the roof during that time because people where desperate and we wanted no part of fudging repairs etc.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Ok here is an upload of the source file and a new file where you hear the woofer rattle better (i high-passed it a bit). It's even more pronounced irl than on the recordering (recording lol).

I did ensure everything. Nothing is clipping, going hot, no hot signal, and nothing to hear on other systems. Both speakers are doing this. I still suspect it's a design flaw in the kalis. You dont notice it when music is playing because all of the other frequencies are occupied, but when recording bass or kicks or the like its very apparent. I guess its fine for the living room but for music production i can't accept it.

Here is vocaroos of the mp3 files if its easier for you guys:

https://vocaroo.com/1adIy69CMWeU (rattle)
https://vocaroo.com/12qAiGvuiMFY (source)

At this point tho i might just contact @KaliAudio_Official if i'm bothering you guys too much. It's so sad tho as i really love these monitors and there is no replacement for equal size/performance... Jbl 306 has front ports and hiss, adam t7v has no data, focal alpha evo has a low score, gotta upgrade to neumanns kh80+sub or the like but thats another price class.
Just listened to this; you're hearing the firmware issue with the first run of V2s. We have a fix, and we'll send you new amplifiers with the new firmware in them if you get in touch with customer service. New V2s already have the firmware loaded in. We have been providing new amplifiers with updated firmware to everyone who's raised the issue.

suzook

Just listened to this; you're hearing the firmware issue with the first run of V2s. We have a fix, and we'll send you new amplifiers with the new firmware in them if you get in touch with customer service. New V2s already have the firmware loaded in. We have been providing new amplifiers with updated firmware to everyone who's raised the issue.
It's a shame that there's tons of v1 out there. I unfortunately grabbed an v1 at guitar center. All the guitar centers within 200 miles from me had build dates of October 2021. I would have kept them if they had the proper amps.

MachOne

It's a shame that there's tons of v1 out there. I unfortunately grabbed an v1 at guitar center. All the guitar centers within 200 miles from me had build dates of October 2021. I would have kept them if they had the proper amps.

Yep, I'd be going store to store and pulling the bad stock if I was Kali, despite the cost. Expecting the customer to deal with it seems a bit uncool.

suzook

Yep, I'd be going store to store and pulling the bad stock if I was Kali, despite the cost. Expecting the customer to deal with it seems a bit uncool.
Imo it's unacceptable. Think about how many bad units there are out there. I immediately knew something was off. It's a real shame, because other than that, they sounded wonderful. I just can't hand my $ over to a company that knows there are MANY defective units being sold.

Thstast

Is this problem only on Kali lp6 v2? Or does it happens also in kali in8 v2 ?

rio911

Is this problem only on Kali lp6 v2? Or does it happens also in kali in8 v2 ?
Anyone have info on this? Is this issue isolated to LP6 v2 only?

I'm about to pick up a Kali IN-5 which is part of 2nd Wave, kinda worried it may share the same problem.

To do a warranty from my country would be quite problematic.

Anti-Climacus

I happen to have a pair of Kali IN-5s since January 2022 and have not encountered any issue of this kind (or of any kind whatsoever). But I am not a music producer and can't boast about any special listening skills, just have them as computer speakers for the casual music listening, movie watching, youtube e.t.c. Maybe there exists a problem but it is masked in your typical program of music material whereas in can be heard in music production software tools like Ableton, what do I know?

Also, I haven't encountered anyone mentioning something similar about the IN line in internet forums and discussions, so there is that.

Gik

Mine have this issues too, after i start playing some low freq notes with short attack the speakers do that rattle sound.Don't do this mistake that i made to buy them.Kali are unprofessional because from my perspective the faulty products had to be withdrawn from the market as soon they knew about this problem

Penelinfi

You spent the time to complain on here, did you spend the time to contact them and explain your issues? They seem to be rectifying issues when they are brought up.

They likely didn't pull all the products because
1.) It would cost a lot of money
2.) The issue hasn't blown up because
3.) Many people don't have an issue, because it seems to be limited to playing samples with silence afterwards etc.

Whether you agree with this or not is a different matter.

Hybrid Monkey

I had the same issue and it was driving me nuts because I did't know if it was the amp, the wires or the cone itself. But it turned out to be a loose screw holding the cone. All I had to do is open up the speaker from the back and tighten all the screws around the cone and it's been working perfectly since then.

Top Bottom