• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-UNF or small premium monitors (genelec, neumann, focal)?

mrmojo

Just want to have a nice desktop setup to listen to music. From beethoven to biggie smalls to metallica, to bob dylan to the beatles.

Have tried and am not impressed by iloud micro, audioengine a2, or kanto yu4.

Was about to spend quite a bit of cash for either neumann Kh80, Genelec 8020 or focal shape 40...then I read about the Kali IN-UNF.

Which would you get?

Waxx

Major Contributor
For the price of the Kali you can get the KH120A, so if you want to spend that kind of money that is what i would get. Kali is in general more than decent, but Neumann is toplevel, much better than any Kali i saw measurements of. Frequency response is flatter, distortion lower and dispertion more controlled with the Neumann's. The KH80 does not go that low, but the KH120A is very similar to the Kali's claim (i never saw measurements of that specific type so i don't know if it's true).

OP
M

mrmojo

For the price of the Kali you can get the KH120A, so if you want to spend that kind of money that is what i would get. Kali is in general more than decent, but Neumann is toplevel, much better than any Kali i saw measurements of. Frequency response is flatter, distortion lower and dispertion more controlled with the Neumann's. The KH80 does not go that low, but the KH120A is very similar to the Kali's claim (i never saw measurements of that specific type so i don't know if it's true).

The whole kali UNF package is 800 bucks CDN. Two KH120A's would be 2 grand. Similar difference in the US I'm guessing.

The 120A is just too big besides for a desktop. That's why I said the KH80A.

As with any product class there are diminishing returns the more you spend. I don't know where the sweet spot is for desk top monitors/speakers though - 1.5 grand for a desktop setup (that's 8020 or Kh 80 territory)? 1 grand? 600 bucks? After some level the incremental gains aren't worth the additional cost.

unpluggged

wacomme

The whole kali UNF package is 800 bucks CDN. Two KH120A's would be 2 grand. Similar difference in the US I'm guessing.

The 120A is just too big besides for a desktop. That's why I said the KH80A.

As with any product class there are diminishing returns the more you spend. I don't know where the sweet spot is for desk top monitors/speakers though - 1.5 grand for a desktop setup (that's 8020 or Kh 80 territory)? 1 grand? 600 bucks? After some level the incremental gains aren't worth the additional cost.
The problem is whose sweet spot and how is that measured? My sweet spot might be the Kali LP-6v2 (my current desktop monitors - maybe is, maybe isn’t), and yours might be the Neumann KH150 + KH750. And the problem is, how do you demo these monitors and under what conditions?

wacomme

I think sweet spot in this case refers to objective price/performance sweet spot, not someone's subjective preference.

Frequency response, distortion, linearity, directivity, LF Extension, that sorta stuff.
I suppose that's true. There are alway best buys (best bang for your buck), and monitors can objectively be measured. Still, best buys are average suggestions, and not for everyone.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love Glen's channel.

Top Bottom