• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-UNF - new ultra nearfield speakers

Honken

These look very interesting, seeing them in Produce Like a Pro's video put the size of them into perspective. Is there any way to add a sub to this unit when using the USB input? I am asking since the 4.5" woofers don't dig terribly deep. Using the analog inputs one could naturally use a sub with built in XO.

Any single point measurement might look odd, and it will almost certainly look terrible if the system is measured in a setting other than what we've prescribed in terms of a desktop and the proper placement. We haven't run Klippel with it, and we're interested (to say the least) in the results that Amir or Erin might see.

The system is accurate, and we're working on presenting 3rd party data that backs that up so you don't have to take our word for it.
I may show my lack of knowledge here, but if single point measurements don't give correct results - and a spin with a Klippel probably won't work as intended, how did you come up with the design? You share data for your other speakers (kudos), anything to share for this one?

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
There's absolutely nothing in the works in that regard at the moment. We have kicked the idea around of firmware updatability via USB, but it would have added cost to the IN-UNF that would have raised the price.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
These look very interesting, seeing them in Produce Like a Pro's video put the size of them into perspective. Is there any way to add a sub to this unit when using the USB input? I am asking since the 4.5" woofers don't dig terribly deep. Using the analog inputs one could naturally use a sub with built in XO.

I may show my lack of knowledge here, but if single point measurements don't give correct results - and a spin with a Klippel probably won't work as intended, how did you come up with the design? You share data for your other speakers (kudos), anything to share for this one?
It doesn't have a sub out, so input via optical or USB will only go to the unit itself.

It's not lack of knowledge at all. Spin with a Klippel SHOULD work, assuming the Klippel operator has deployed the system as intended.

We used moving microphone averages in the intended listening position to measure the system.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is why the satellites must be placed on their stands on the desk, not on stands of varying heights. In fact, as can be seen in the Warren Huart video, the system comes with templates for exact placement of the satellites relative to the bass unit.
The manual doesn't say anything about changing satellite height. If that's the case I think it should probably be specified more clearly as personally I'd prefer to get the satellites to ear height if I bought this system, and I imagine others might want that too. Even though it shouldn't be required for correct tonality or anything.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
The manual doesn't say anything about changing satellite height. If that's the case I think it should probably be specified more clearly as personally I'd prefer to get the satellites to ear height if I bought this system, and I imagine others might want that too. Even though it shouldn't be required for correct tonality or anything.
Oooh That's really good feedback. Yeah, don't adjust the height of the satellites.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
I'll send this over to our webmaster now. Made the edit.

Attachments

• IN-UNF User's Guide Working.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 138

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What makes them ultra near-field? (Besides being small). Very wide dispersion?

Honken

It doesn't have a sub out, so input via optical or USB will only go to the unit itself.

It's not lack of knowledge at all. Spin with a Klippel SHOULD work, assuming the Klippel operator has deployed the system as intended.

We used moving microphone averages in the intended listening position to measure the system.
Thanks! Perhaps an output to a sub would be interesting for a future variant, or perhaps one could use the analog XO of a future, smaller sibling to the WS12 (as the WS12 seems a bit overkill to pair this speaker with).

Makes sense with the MMM, hope to see some data come out in the future!

TimW

Major Contributor
Just ordered a set from Sweetwater. My sales rep says they've only had them for a couple weeks but there's been a lot of interest.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
What makes them ultra near-field? (Besides being small). Very wide dispersion?
actually fairly narrow. It's a small-ish sweetspot, and reference level at just .8 meters means that they're never getting all that loud, so the person nextdoor won't hate you.

arthurprs

actually fairly narrow. It's a small-ish sweetspot, and reference level at just .8 meters means that they're never getting all that loud, so the person nextdoor won't hate you.
Interesting, can you share how big is the sweet spot? I move around a lot in my chair, including odd (bad) seating positions.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See this makes me nervous to become an early adopter. If I wait a year will there be a new and improved model that can be updated? Will I be able to just buy the updated bass module if that happens?
That nervousness should be turned into constant mindfulness: This always happens every year with most any electronic device. It is always a better value ultimately to wait a year after things come out, but if you can afford it and value having something a year earlier and want new things, then go for it and update more often. Pick the path that suits you, and expect a new model every year.

I bought a $3600 77" OLED TV in 2019. Now I could get that TV for something like $2000. Did I waste $1600? I don't think so. I've enjoyed the last few years with an amazing TV, even though a year later a better model came out.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That nervousness should be turned into constant mindfulness: This always happens every year with most any electronic device. It is always a better value ultimately to wait a year after things come out, but if you can afford it and value having something a year earlier and want new things, then go for it and update more often. Pick the path that suits you, and expect a new model every year.

I bought a $3600 77" OLED TV in 2019. Now I could get that TV for something like $2000. Did I waste $1600? I don't think so. I've enjoyed the last few years with an amazing TV, even though a year later a better model came out.
Well, very true. BUT I got kind of 'burned' by 'early adopting' Kali's IN8s Gen1, bc they introduced a v2 pretty quickly (to their credit), making mine far less desireable. So now I have a pair of very nice boat anchors. BTW, they sound perfectly fine to me, but didn't do all that well in testing.
(Yes, and my fault for jumping so fast on ordering them right away - I had a project in mind that would have been perfect for them, but later came across a better solution.)
So. Yah, beware realities.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Well, very true. BUT I got kind of 'burned' by 'early adopting' Kali's IN8s Gen1, bc they introduced a v2 pretty quickly (to their credit), making mine far less desireable. So now I have a pair of very nice boat anchors. BTW, they sound perfectly fine to me, but didn't do all that well in testing.
(Yes, and my fault for jumping so fast on ordering them right away - I had a project in mind that would have been perfect for them, but later came across a better solution.)
So. Yah, beware realities.
I thought the main issue was just some hiss.

Willem

Major Contributor
This is a very useful addition to the market, now that more people are working from home and want better computer audio for video conferencing or to listen to music while they work. I would not use them for demanding monitoring, but for everything else they look like a great idea.
I could never live with crummy computer speakers so I have been using LS3/5as and now Harbeth P3ESRs but those are expensive and bulky. They also required small stands and some eq. to deal with the proximity of the desk. And of course electronics.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok!

My question was more related to that the closer you get to the speaker, the higher proportion of direct:reflected sound you will get, which also exaggerate the comb filtering effect of stereo. One could think of having near-field speakers with wide dispersion and far-field with more narrow dispersion to lower the "errors" between near- and far-field listening.

TimW

Major Contributor
I was just thinking about the fact that the IN-UNF satellites are spherical. It is mentioned once on the Kali website but there are no claims about the performance advantage of this shape. Usually companies that make spherical speakers, like Gallo or mo° sound, make big claims about why a sphere is the perfect speaker shape. They say a spherical speaker cabinet resonates less, reflects less back wave into the cone, and gives better imaging than a typical rectangular speaker cabinet. @KaliAudio_Official did you find any of this to be true when designing the IN-UNF?

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
The spherical shape might be helpful acoustically, but it's not the reason we did it. It's spherical so that you can orient it as needed to hit your ears.

Top Bottom