• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio vs. Genelec for Home Studio?

Filio45

Still not a problem! If I sit right into my desk, I'm 70cm away from each monitor. Again - no issues whatsoever. The coax design does help slightly.
Out of interest, have you tried sitting 0.5m away? That's the min stated distance of the In-8 but I wonder how it works out in practice.

I agree with you broadly that 8 inch monitors don't necessarily need a medium/ big room but the In-8's have powerful bass (according to reviews around the web) and I'm not sure how successfully the (only) 2db LF trim will be in controlling it, so additional EQ will likely be needed in a smaller room. I would have preferred a few more db of cut on the monitors..

For anyone thinking about using the big Rokit 10-3 G4 for reference level home theater use, consider that KRK rates it at a maximum SPL of 112 dB which is only 1 dB more than the 111 dB of KRK's 8" 2-way, the Rokit 8 G4. So while the 10-3 G4 is the only Rokit studio monitor KRK classifies as mid-field rather than near-field they clearly went for extended bass over maximum SPL. At least one person on another AV forum tried a 10-3 for home theater use and was not satisfied with its max SPL.
Just for the record, I used to have three KRK 10-3 G2s as L-C-R's, paired with a Marantz pre-pro in two different setups.
Largest room was 4.5 x 7m. Distance to MLP was a bit over 3m in both setups.
Didn't bother with a sub at the time.
Incredibly clean, accurate, full-range sound. Vastly superior to my previous (more expensive) hi-fi towers speakers. Zero audible distortion. Never came close to reaching their limit.

Attachments

• IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Old unit with projector screen setup .jpg
    Old unit with projector screen setup .jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Out of interest, have you tried sitting 0.5m away? That's the min stated distance of the In-8 but I wonder how it works out in practice.

I agree with you broadly that 8 inch monitors don't necessarily need a medium/ big room but the In-8's have powerful bass (according to reviews around the web) and I'm not sure how successfully the (only) 2db LF trim will be in controlling it, so additional EQ will likely be needed in a smaller room. I would have preferred a few more db of cut on the monitors..

Just tested at 0.5m. Negligible difference (although theoretically not recommended;)

Bottom-end is extremely tight and focused.

I should also add that my room treatment could be better, and my IN-8s are (temporarily) just 20cm from the wall behind - NOT ideal.

On the forums, I do see a lot of this fear around larger drivers, as if an 8" unit will be overwhelming for the mixer and the room.

But it really isn't a big deal at all - especially if they're front-ported.

You just get more scale and presence at the same distance, and can better "hear into" the sound.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just for the record, I used to have three KRK 10-3 G2s as L-C-R's, paired with a Marantz pre-pro in two different setups.
Largest room was 4.5 x 7m. Distance to MLP was a bit over 3m in both setups.
Didn't bother with a sub at the time.
Incredibly clean, accurate, full-range sound. Vastly superior to my previous (more expensive) hi-fi towers speakers. Zero audible distortion. Never came close to reaching their limit.
Thanks for posting that. I went back and checked the other forum and found that my memory was selective in that I only mentioned a case where reference SPL was found to be inadequate while others were OK with the 112 dB max SPL as you were. So, as with any speaker, a lot depends on the setup and user preference. One point made about the 10-3's extended bass is that it's wasted in any serious home theater using subwoofers and some users would prefer less extended bass with more SPL as other home theater speakers provide. Also, earlier generations of 10-3 were criticized for audible hiss so that's something that would need to be checked on the G4.

Filio45

Just to correct my earlier post, Kali's min recommened distance from monitor to listening postion is actually 1 metre, according to leaflet in box.

Just to correct my earlier post, Kali's min recommened distance from monitor to listening postion is actually 1 metre, according to leaflet in box.
That definitely makes sense, but I honestly haven't heard any significant phasing difference. Really just imaging, which can be corrected with toe-in.
I'll eventually get to using some proper measurement and correction with REW or whatever else. But in the meantime, the IN-8s are superb. My only real complaint is the slight hiss (which is WAY over-reported)
I have worked in a room where I was stuck at around 0.5m, and can very happily vouch for the Presonus Sceptre S8 for obvious reasons, even if the midrange detail is slightly lower than the IN-8.

Top Bottom