• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone have listening experience of JDS Atom DAC and Topping E30? Which one is better?

Is it worth to spend extra $50 on Topping E30, as price has increased to $149 for Topping E30?
You don't need listening experience of these two DACs. They're both transparent. With the E30 you're getting a remote + coax and toslink, as well as the USB that the Atom has. You also get a display with the E30 but not with the Atom.

GeekySimar

So you are saying, performance-wise both are almost the same. It's just that E30 has more inputs, display, and remote.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone have listening experience of JDS Atom DAC and Topping E30? Which one is better?

Is it worth to spend extra $50 on Topping E30, as price has increased to $149 for Topping E30?

Not unless you want to stack it on a the same style Toppping amp. But given the current issue over the Topping L30 (which people usually buy with the E30), I would stick with JDS Labs.

GeekySimar

Not unless you want to stack it on a the same style Toppping amp. But given the current issue over the Topping L30 (which people usually buy with the E30), I would stick with JDS Labs.
I will be using it as a desktop DAC to drive my Amplifier rather than Headphone Amplifier. :) So I think Atom DAC is a better option for me and price is low too.

GeekySimar

Right now I am using a pretty old mammoth Sony DA1000ES, but doesn't suits my working desk. Lol
I am building my own amp for my desk using TPA3255, using either JLester or drMordor amplifier board from DiyAudio forum.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right now I am using a pretty old mammoth Sony DA1000ES, but doesn't suits my working desk. Lol
I am building my own amp for my desk using TPA3255, using either JLester or drMordor amplifier board from DiyAudio forum.
Sounds like a great DIY project :)

If you want to save some money, I am using the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as a DAC with my PC connected to my headphone amp and with a speaker amp
https://www.amazon.com/TempoTec-Sonata-HD-PRO-Android/dp/B084YX4MZD/

It is the same DAC (different branding and case) as the HIDISZ S8. You'll see that it also measures extremely well, like the Atom DAC
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dizs-s8-usb-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/

A few people have encountered some stuttering or popping issues when used with their PC. I haven't experienced that, and others are using it successfully as well. Since Amazon has free return shipping on it, worth giving it a shot given it's $37. Just turn the volume up all the way on it, and it will remember that each time your PC turns on.

Also works very well as a portable DAC/amp with my phone for my headphones.

GeekySimar

Sounds like a great DIY project :)

If you want to save some money, I am using the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as a DAC with my PC connected to my headphone amp and with a speaker amp
https://www.amazon.com/TempoTec-Sonata-HD-PRO-Android/dp/B084YX4MZD/

It is the same DAC (different branding and case) as the HIDISZ S8. You'll see that it also measures extremely well, like the Atom DAC
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dizs-s8-usb-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/

A few people have encountered some stuttering or popping issues when used with their PC. I haven't experienced that, and others are using it successfully as well. Since Amazon has free return shipping on it, worth giving it a shot given it's $37. Just turn the volume up all the way on it, and it will remember that each time your PC turns on.

Also works very well as a portable DAC/amp with my phone for my headphones.

That looks pretty interesting. Is it confirmed by you guys that Tempotec is just the same module?

I also have an Ear Studio ES100, which is also a pretty awesome product. I am using that only as a DAC right now. Any one of you has experience with ES100?

I am ordering Tempotec and will give it a shot.

Thanks. :)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks pretty interesting. Is it confirmed by you guys that Tempotec is just the same module?

I also have an Ear Studio ES100, which is also a pretty awesome product. I am using that only as a DAC right now. Any one of you has experience with ES100?

I am ordering Tempotec and will give it a shot.

Thanks. :)

It was confirmed by people in the HIDISZ S8 thread.

When using it with my headphones and my JDS Labs Atom amp, I could not tell any difference between it and the Topping D50S DAC which I used to have. I ended up selling the D50S.

So it sounds good, and it doesn't take up any room. lol

GeekySimar

It was confirmed by people in the HIDISZ S8 thread.

When using it with my headphones and my JDS Labs Atom amp, I could not tell any difference between it and the Topping D50S DAC which I used to have. I ended up selling the D50S.

So it sounds good, and it doesn't take up any room. lol
But what about using it as a DAC only for Power Amplifier and not DAC/Headphone Amplifier combined. Is there any mode in it to disable the headphone amp section, I see the chip has an integrated headphone amplifier.

I am just trying to understand what is the difference between having the output from the jack which is amplified for headphones use case and output which is not amplified at all and just the digital to analog conversion.

My use case is with a power amplifier only, that's why need a little more info on this.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But what about using it as a DAC only for Power Amplifier and not DAC/Headphone Amplifier combined. Is there any mode in it to disable the headphone amp section, I see the chip has an integrated headphone amplifier.

I am just trying to understand what is the difference between having the output from the jack which is amplified for headphones use case and output which is not amplified at all and just the digital to analog conversion.

My use case is with a power amplifier only, that's why need a little more info on this.

A headphone amp or a speaker amp. There's no difference to a DAC.

GeekySimar

A headphone amp or a speaker amp. There's no difference to a DAC.
Thanks,
This always confuses me. I have Ear Studio in which while set as Headphone Amp I can configure Impedance and Sensitivity. Otherwise, I can set it as Preamp. I don't know what difference it makes.

I think here in the case of tempoTec it's the same. Anyway thanks. :)

TheSacredSoul

Anyone have problems with USB randomly disconnecting? Even though everything is connected as it should be, my PC suddenly fails to detect the DAC and I will have to reboot. And even then, it will not detect it until I either turn off the power for the DAC and switch it back on or change USB ports.

Not a very common occurence, happened twice so far but it is annoying.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Wasn't there talk of them adding support for DSD? What ever happened with that?

Top Bottom