• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SCL-7 Review (In-wall Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 59.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nathan

To be fair, it has only been a few weeks since the review was posted. But I too hope to hear some official response eventually.

Cedrep

Hi, JBL synthesis are top level line of JBL, they should have an explanation about huge 2nd harmonic distortion and dip in the 2k region.

Theses speakers are made to be use with EQ, what is the most important factor to be easely EQ able ?

Cedrep

Just seeing that HDI 1600 have exactly same distortion

nathan

Theses speakers are made to be use with EQ, what is the most important factor to be easely EQ able ?
In short, consistent off axis response tends to make a speaker eq friendly since the eq will change the curve not just for the direct sound but also in a similar fashion for the reflected sound.

C. Cook

Curious as to why there was no notation of resonance on the Revel in-walls you tested. Seems like they are even worse. I know that you don't place as much stock in these graphs as some others and that your company actually sells both brands (both Harman products obviously), but generally you always call out resonances in the graphs.

1652244515778.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Curious as to why there was no notation of resonance on the Revel in-walls you tested. Seems like they are even worse. I know that you don't place as much stock in these graphs as some others and that your company actually sells both brands (both Harman products obviously), but generally you always call out resonances in the graphs.
I did note it:
Response is nice and even until we get to crossover region around 2 kHz. Response droops there and becomes variable, likely due to resonances from the woofers:

But keep in mind that speaker is mounted to MDF which itself is stood up by its edge. So some resonances can be attributable to the fixture. And at any rate, once you mount this on your wall, you will experience your own version of it.

C. Cook

I did note it:

But keep in mind that speaker is mounted to MDF which itself is stood up by its edge. So some resonances can be attributable to the fixture. And at any rate, once you mount this on your wall, you will experience your own version of it.
Ah, yeah I was just talking about in the graph, but yes you did. On the other note you raised, I did see that it looked like you tested both with the same type of sheetrock or particle board suspended over a bit (looks like a foot actually) of furr-out in your wall. I don't have experience with in-walls so I assume they both have some sort of 'cabinetry' behind the woofers? If not, how do they control for the variations likely encountered w/r/t wall volume at different homes? Edit: You did say it's a different version for everyone, but I'm wondering if they design for a range of volume depending on the distance between opposing sheets of sheetrock, wall height, etc.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't have experience with in-walls so I assume they both have some sort of 'cabinetry' behind the woofers?
No. Some come with "back boxes" but many like this one do not. If they come with one, I will test it that way but so far none have.

Top Bottom