• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL LSR305P MKii and Control 1 Pro Monitors Review

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Set the quieter one to -10dB. If both sound equally loud then the switch on the louder one is broken. Recheck by switching the louder one between 4dB and -10dB and check whether loudness changes at all.
I just tested the switch, it surprisingly works fine

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tested the switch, it surprisingly works fine
It seems like there's something internally broken in one of your speakers. @solderdude is an electrical guru, he might have some ideas for things you could check/replace internally.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is the speaker driven balanced or SE ?
If the difference is 6dB, which would be easy to find out with a mono signal and applying -6dB to the loudest channel and seeing if they play at the same loudness, then it could have something to do with the 1 signal of the 2 balanced signals being gone for some reason.

phoenixsong

Is the speaker driven balanced or SE ?
If the difference is 6dB, which would be easy to find out with a mono signal and applying -6dB to the loudest channel and seeing if they play at the same loudness, then it could have something to do with the 1 signal of the 2 balanced signals being gone for some reason.
That sounds extremely possible, based on the loudness difference, the preserved sound quality in the softer speaker and the fact that they were being driven balanced

*Just tested it, it is exactly as you said at 6dB of difference

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks like either something is wrong with the balanced cable (swapping would make that clear), something mechanical in the speaker (connector pin loose or something like that) or electronics being faulty (summing circuit).

phoenixsong

Looks like either something is wrong with the balanced cable (swapping would make that clear), something mechanical in the speaker (connector pin loose or something like that) or electronics being faulty (summing circuit).
Unfortunately it isn't the cable :') Guess I'll try to look for loose connectors, hope that would be the case. Thanks for your input, and everyone's help! This was really interesting to learn

phoenixsong

After trial and error by swapping the back panels of the speakers, I've isolated the source of the problem which is the original back panel of the softer speaker, where the input jacks and two *separate sections of two ic boards for the (power input + power switch) and (balanced inputs + sensitivity switches, trim switches + volume knob) are located respectively. The main ic board connected to the woofer and tweeter seemed to be fine, which I assume to be a good thing even without possessing any electrical knowledge. If I have a balanced TRS cable with me right now, I would be able to further determine if both the xlr and trs inputs are affected, or if it is only the xlr jack

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After trial and error by swapping the back panels of the speakers, I've isolated the source of the problem which is the original back panel of the softer speaker, where the input jacks and two *separate sections of two ic boards for the (power input + power switch) and (balanced inputs + sensitivity switches, trim switches + volume knob) are located respectively. The main ic board connected to the woofer and tweeter seemed to be fine, which I assume to be a good thing even without possessing any electrical knowledge. If I have a balanced TRS cable with me right now, I would be able to further determine if both the xlr and trs inputs are affected, or if it is only the xlr jack
So you reckon it's worth testing if the XLR inputs are alright - in fact that could be a way of getting around the problem too. Is it possible to buy a cable adapter to convert RCA into XLR - I mean I know it wouldn't be running as balanced, but it might be able to test that the volumes are the same, or you could even run it like that if you don't want to go to the trouble of trying to fix the speaker. I don't know if what I'm suggesting is dangerous to the speaker, using a simple cable to convert RCA to XLR on the balanced inputs. I did a quick google on it and it seems it's safe to do, but I'd check this yourself before you do it - or someone that's reading this can certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

phoenixsong

So you reckon it's worth testing if the XLR inputs are alright - in fact that could be a way of getting around the problem too. Is it possible to buy a cable adapter to convert RCA into XLR - I mean I know it wouldn't be running as balanced, but it might be able to test that the volumes are the same, or you could even run it like that if you don't want to go to the trouble of trying to fix the speaker. I don't know if what I'm suggesting is dangerous to the speaker, using a simple cable to convert RCA to XLR on the balanced inputs. I did a quick google on it and it seems it's safe to do, but I'd check this yourself before you do it - or someone that's reading this can certainly correct me if I'm wrong.
The problem with using RCA to XLR to diagnose the issue under the current context is that, unless I am mistaken, the volume levels should end up the same regardless of whether the XLR input itself is faulty. This is because RCA is inherently unable to carry balanced signals. I just ordered a pair of balanced TRS cables on a discount though, as I think I would probably need them sooner or later, so all good :D

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with using RCA to XLR to diagnose the issue under the current context is that, unless I am mistaken, the volume levels should end up the same regardless of whether the XLR input itself is faulty. This is because RCA is inherently unable to carry balanced signals. I just ordered a pair of balanced TRS cables on a discount though, as I think I would probably need them sooner or later, so all good :D
At least though if the volumes ended up being the same with RCA to XLR cable then that could be a workaround to the problem, but if you're wanting to go balanced anyway regardless then you may as well not even try the RCA to XLR cable.

newguy

Is it OK to place them near the wall? I want to use them as Hi-fi music speakers and for TV.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
A ew inches from the wall is fine not just against it.

phoenixsong

Has anyone tried swapping out the woofer units to something else that is also 5" and 4 ohms? If the mass remains the same as the original, I wonder how it would impact the sound?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I link my review of the LSR's, it's in Spanish but subtitles work fine. I hope this is allowed here.

I'd highlight the issue of the backplates ringing in the 500 Hz. I think it's easy to fix.
Thank you for the nice contribution. I come to other, quite positive listening results, but especially speakers you always have to try and compare yourself - as many as possible. After the Neumann KH 120a which I had for 10 years, I switched to the JBL 305p II.

By the way, the cover of the video shows the older version of this monitor, which has irritated me briefly.

tellyoulater

Sorry about your irritation, I think it's a minor mistake by the guy who edited the video anyway I tested and reviewed the II version. I also measured the first version but can't find the measurements.

I think the KH 120A are way better than the LSR but they lack bass.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I think the KH 120A are way better than the LSR but they lack bass.
Yes, that is the biggest difference, which is immediately noticeable. Last but not least, it leads to the impression of a more coherent sound for me. Theoretically, I would have to lean more towards the KH120. I am an analytical listener who wants to hear everything very precisely. But I had both in the house for a long time, because my wife had been using the JBL 305p MKII in her music room for a while. For a long time I didn't want to admit what I was hearing, that these cheap monitors were musically more capable than the Neumann, when I went into her room. Now, however, we have two pairs of the JBL's at our near-field listening positions in our rooms, and so it's perfect for me right now. Ultimately, it is a matter of taste.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
are these JBLs on the brighter side?
I find them tonally very balanced and right, as I said, am very satisfied with them. But I can understand every skeptic who cannot imagine that speakers with such a low purchase price can sound so good. Only a practical listening comparison with other brands side by side will help.

Top Bottom