• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL HDI-1600 Speaker Review

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
How important is it to elevate the tweeters to ear level with the dispersion pattern of these speakers?
-5 to +10 degrees should be fine, if meticulous then ideally at direct tweeter level or +3degrees though there likely won't be truly noticable change at the aforementioned -5to+10 range.
So it will depend on listening distance how above or below the tweeter you, based on the angle.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
So...Buy NOW if you want them or even if you don't...

https://www.harmanaudio.com/search?q=hdi&search-button=
@HARMAN Audio MUST ADD TO CART TO GET THE DEAL, Shipping is free.

Amazing deals. Available (prices in-cart):

JBL Home Speakers: Bookshelf Speaker (HDI-1600) $400each, Center Channel Speaker (HDI-4500) $700, Floor Standing Speaker (HDI-3600) $900 & More + Free Shipping

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unreal price for these..

Beave

Major Contributor
Interesting that these are so low on their website, almost like it's a mistake in their pricing

Even more interesting is that the same "mistake" happened with the JBL Studio 5xx series about a year ago, with unbelievably low prices available from their website for a brief period of time.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Interesting that these are so low on their website, almost like it's a mistake in their pricing

Even more interesting is that the same "mistake" happened with the JBL Studio 5xx series about a year ago, with unbelievably low prices available from their website for a brief period of time.
I don't think this is a mistake.
They often have sale prices that show in the cart only.
This is likely to avoid conflict with the established dealer network.

I've gotten some serious deals from them over the last 8-10years.

I suspect $800 a pair for the hdi-1600 direct from Harman is close to dealer costs. So in other words they make about as much as they usually do.

At on time there was indeed a glitch and many items could be bought at huge discount, not just 500 series speakers. That required Chrome incognito mode and some careful adding to the cart in a certain way.

Beave

Major Contributor
But why have a huge sale and not advertise it at all and in fact have it partially hidden in that it only shows up when you add the items to your cart?

It's weird.

But maybe, as you say, it's their way to try to prevent upsetting their dealer network.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
But why have a huge sale and not advertise it at all and in fact have it partially hidden in that it only shows up when you add the items to your cart?

It's weird.

But maybe, as you say, it's their way to try to prevent upsetting their dealer network.
They have done it at least 20 times in the last 10 years on product I am aware of.
That likely means they do it much more than that.
Having sales that only show up in the cart while maybe not common is also actually not that unusual. Other companies have done it.
They really have to decide if it works better for them, they might have some extra stock to clear but yah this price is impossible for dealers to match so the hidden nature kinda shields them.
These type of deals are usually then published on 'deal' forums and not advertised in a normal way at all.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I suspect $800 a pair for the hdi-1600 direct from Harman is close to dealer costs.
I bought a pair at Harman employee pricing when they first came out, that was $375/ea, so you’re close.

Read into that as much as you want.

tw 2022

It's weird.

that's what these guys do.. as to why ?... talk to them...

tw 2022

So...Buy NOW if you want them or even if you don't...

https://www.harmanaudio.com/search?q=hdi&search-button=
@HARMAN Audio MUST ADD TO CART TO GET THE DEAL, Shipping is free.

Amazing deals. Available (prices in-cart):

JBL Home Speakers: Bookshelf Speaker (HDI-1600) $400each, Center Channel Speaker (HDI-4500) $700, Floor Standing Speaker (HDI-3600) $900 & More + Free Shipping
another jbl "crazy sale" .. they did this with the 5 series too

Xasthur

Is the HDI 1600 a big upgrade to my JBL studio 530? Wish the black was available for that price.

tw 2022

Is the HDI 1600 a big upgrade to my JBL studio 530? Wish the black was available for that price.
it should be noticeable (upgrade) to most everyone...at this price it's a "no lose"...

Ngower

How do folks like these in small (12x12) rooms? "Bloated bass" concerns me a little.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
How do folks like these in small (12x12) rooms? "Bloated bass" concerns me a little.
You will have strong room modes due to the small size (modes are much stronger in small rooms) & the square shape (some modes are much stronger in a square shaped space)
Any speaker in this room will have uneven bass with big nulls and big peaks and these certainly could overload that room easily.
Get used to using room adapting PEQ or software like Dirac. Then you will never have bloated bass. Room treatments would have to be huge, cost alot and look weird in a smaller space.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
it should be noticeable (upgrade) to most everyone...at this price it's a "no lose"...

Fwiiw. The Grey looks strange in person in my view and very taste dependent but the Walnut looks much nicer in person vs the photos.
I have the 530 and the 4309 which is sorta similar to the hdi. I would say the upgrade is noticeable but the 530s are good enough that you are going to have to let go of any idea of a 'big' upgrade. You already have very nice sound. I think the 530 competes well with the best $600-1200 monitors. Modest improvements are still good ones though and alot of it is personal taste once the baseline is quality.
It just costs much more to eek out a bit more as price goes up to try and achieve added gains. Plus the costs of the finish does go way up when using nice veneer or high quality gloss coatings.

Ngower

You will have strong room modes due to the small size (modes are much stronger in small rooms) & the square shape (some modes are much stronger in a square shaped space)
Any speaker in this room will have uneven bass with big nulls and big peaks and these certainly could overload that room easily.
Get used to using room adapting PEQ or software like Dirac. Then you will never have bloated bass. Room treatments would have to be huge, cost alot and look weird in a smaller space.
Why would room treatments have to be huge? Your assessment seems to be fairly doom and gloom for listening to literally anything in my space, which seems...odd.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Why would room treatments have to be huge? Your assessment seems to be fairly doom and gloom for listening to literally anything in my space, which seems...odd.
You asked about using them in a small room and having 'bloated bass'.
What do you want me to say beyond touching on what you are dealing with and how to do so?
No 'doom and gloom', just the nature of getting high fidelity bass output in a small space. All normal sized rooms have bass modes and other issues that generally get worse/more prominent as the room becomes smaller and the shape more square. 12x12 isn't tiny but it is smaller and square. They also get worse if you listen loudly vs quietly.

It is what it is. You can certainly get a good sound yet like all installs you are dealing with specific stuff.

The good thing is that in a small square room the actual number of nulls and peaks is less, (but they are much larger/stronger deviations.) This means even a 4band PEQ like the one built in the WiiM amp would be enough to get pretty good fidelity. That would also be enough amp power for a small room with just about any speaker.
If using the WiiM, use 3 bands to tame the worst peaks and a shelf filter to boost the bass by a couple db to make up for the overall loss of energy from taming the peaks. Do not do much with the nulls in PEQ, play a bit with positioning and generally accept the nulls.

Room treatments for low bass notes are huge because the waves of sound are huge, so absorbing them requires something huge. It was mostly just a sidenote as to why I suggest using PEQ and or Dirac to tame some of the in room bass issues.

Ngower

You asked about using them in a small room and having 'bloated bass'.
What do you want me to say beyond touching on what you are dealing with and how to do so?
No 'doom and gloom', just the nature of getting high fidelity bass output in a small space. All normal sized rooms have bass modes and other issues that generally get worse/more prominent as the room becomes smaller and the shape more square. 12x12 isn't tiny but it is smaller and square. They also get worse if you listen loudly vs quietly.

It is what it is. You can certainly get a good sound yet like all installs you are dealing with specific stuff.

The good thing is that in a small square room the actual number of nulls and peaks is less, (but they are much larger/stronger deviations.) This means even a 4band PEQ like the one built in the WiiM amp would be enough to get pretty good fidelity. That would also be enough amp power for a small room with just about any speaker.
If using the WiiM, use 3 bands to tame the worst peaks and a shelf filter to boost the bass by a couple db to make up for the overall loss of energy from taming the peaks. Do not do much with the nulls in PEQ, play a bit with positioning and generally accept the nulls.

Room treatments for low bass notes are huge because the waves of sound are huge, so absorbing them requires something huge. It was mostly just a sidenote as to why I suggest using PEQ and or Dirac to tame some of the in room bass issues.
These would be used for two channel vinyl playback with a Denon PMA-1700NE.

I have plans to get some basic room treatment done in the coming year or so and the savings on these would get me there a bit quicker. Planning to get the GIK 242/244 (or DIY equivalent) two on front wall, two on rear wall, four (2x2) on side walls as a starting point, corner traps where I can get them.

I ordered a pair of these because why not? If they turn out to be a dud I can return them or sell them to get my money back. Can't really pass up the opportunity to at least try them at this price.

SMc

I have the 530 and the 4309 which is sorta similar to the hdi. I would say the upgrade is noticeable but the 530s are good enough that you are going to have to let go of any idea of a 'big' upgrade. You already have very nice sound. I think the 530 competes well with the best $600-1200 monitors. Modest improvements are still good ones though and alot of it is personal taste once the baseline is quality.
It just costs much more to eek out a bit more as price goes up to try and achieve added gains. Plus the costs of the finish does go way up when using nice veneer or high quality gloss coatings.
That cost is much less today at the $400 each sale price. I've heard the 1600s and think they're a clear step up but I decided to keep my money after giving my Infinity Primus 150/sub/Integra room-corrected system a hard listen.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
These would be used for two channel vinyl playback with a Denon PMA-1700NE.

I have plans to get some basic room treatment done in the coming year or so and the savings on these would get me there a bit quicker. Planning to get the GIK 242/244 (or DIY equivalent) two on front wall, two on rear wall, four (2x2) on side walls as a starting point, corner traps where I can get them.

I ordered a pair of these because why not? If they turn out to be a dud I can return them or sell them to get my money back. Can't really pass up the opportunity to at least try them at this price.
I highly doubt the HDI-1600's are going to be duds & yes such a great price this weekend.

Putting the panels will help with any over excessive reflections in the mids, so in a smaller room that is probably a good plan. Dealing with bass is specific to certain frequencies. I don't want to trap bass below 200hrz 'globally' & trap the wrong frequency's along with the peaks. 5.25" material cannot trap the huge waves below 100 hrz which is where you will get some big peaks. 3 Biggest peaks will be likley around 45-50hrz & 65-70hrz and around 80hrz(this does not factor in SBIR, just room modes).

If you are going for it fidelity wise, I highly suggest skipping any big bass traps and doing the corrections below about 200hrz in Parametric EQ(PEQ). Unless you are going to be performing live there, fixing the bass issues in the electronic domain is so much more powerful and easy to do correctly.

You don't need endless advice from one person but I'd skip the overpriced Denon and do the $299 WiiM amp with built in streaming(are you really only doing vinyl?) and 4 bands of PEQ*(or it can do 10 bands of graphic eq) You'll need and external Phono Preamp but there are many good ones for low $. I guarantee you I could get superb sound with more ease from that vs buying the Denon and expensive corner traps. (*they also are trying to double the PEQ bands from 4 to 8 in a future software update)
Ther are also other options besides the WiiM that cost more or are not as user friendly.

FWIIW the power output of the $299 WiiM and the Denon is identical. I can pretty much guarantee you the Denon doesn't measureable or audibly beat the WiiM. (It does look richer and nicer though.) But I mean you are saving some serious cash and saving on the bass traps. You would have to navigate setting up the PEQ and doing measurements to get it correctly which I realize is hard on some folks but you should also be measuring as you add bass traps and the like. Not just randomly sticking them in there and praying that they affect the correct regions/frequencies.

Anyway this take of mine posted here and in Post #497 is not all directed just at your situation but anyone reading who is deciding things. Just my 2cents. I'm sure some others will have a totally different legitimate take.

P.S. if you don't know this site and are cool with refurb

Last edited:
Top Bottom