• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4309 Review (Speaker)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
No opinions? Anybody? Interesting...
They're equally mediocre. 4309 is of course much less competitive in its price bracket. The Olive score unjustly favors A130, which has a significantly larger resonance.
I have heard the a130 a fair amount and did some minor testing/measuring of the speaker.
I can highly recommend it based on my personal critera - actually after a bit of PEQ it is superb.
It does need sub reinforcement as below 55-60hrz it need help. Plus I'd high pass it there as well to limit overexcursions.
It doesn't do extremely loud as well in the trebble range as I'd like, it starts to harden a tiny bit and I am sensitive to that. (90-100db)
(Compared with say the compression driven 530 highs, which easily outpace many similar speakers. They can play very loudly as long as the woofer is high passed correctly)
That is why I did not keep them. I do loud often.
Otherwise superb, really. Cant beleive they cost well under $300 on sale. (Mine were $150/pair)
I can let you know about the 4309 in a couple weeks. I am getting a pair and will listen for a few hours before I post anything.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
No one can tell you if it is "$1,700" better. That is a baiting question. They are both similar in what they provide objectively and almost subjectively. I did not have both side by side but I tend to think the 4309 has better power capability.
I just though value for one's dollar or bang for the buck is a concept that is often discussed?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just though value for one's dollar or bang for the buck is a concept that is often discussed?
As long as you don't come across as poking your finger in the eye of anyone going for the incrementally more expensive gear, sure. In this case, speakers are something you look at, and their sound is never identical so such a point carries even less favor that say, electronics you hide in a shelf.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I have heard the a130 a fair amount and did some minor testing/measuring of the speaker.
I can highly recommend it based on my personal critera - actually after a bit of PEQ it is superb.
It does need sub reinforcement as below 55-60hrz it need help. Plus I'd high pass it there as well to limit overexcursions.
It doesn't do extremely loud as well in the trebble range as I'd like, it starts to harden a tiny bit and I am sensitive to that. (90-100db)
(Compared with say the compression driven 530 highs, which easily outpace many similar speakers. They can play very loudly as long as the woofer is high passed correctly)
That is why I did not keep them. I do loud often.
Otherwise superb, really. Cant beleive they cost well under $300 on sale. (Mine were $150/pair)
I can let you know about the 4309 in a couple weeks. I am getting a pair and will listen for a few hours before I post anything.
I pickup up a pair of a130s, also and I noticed the same hardness in the highs. Looking forward to your opinion on the 4309s.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Re: Compression tests.
I understand you don't think the tests have any value. We will agree to disagree. And I won't argue or belabor this point online with you because we both have more important things to do than argue in circles, knowing we won't change each other’s mind.

However, to others, the purpose of the multi-output testing was derived from my conversations with Dr. Geddes as well as Dr. Toole. Heck, Dr. Geddes is the one who suggested I provide this information when I had my chat with him (I can't find the time stamp, but it is from this conversation):

Even recently Dr. Olive stated the usefulness of understanding the difference in response as the speaker's output is changed. Dr. Olive states "the listening test results totally depend on the playback level you choose ... and frequency response changes as a function of level. ... And those are the most difficult tests to do when the level changes the results".

Start here:

And, yes, what Sean mentioned was in the context of smaller speakers. However, I test smaller speakers. I test larger speakers. And our discussion covers all speakers (if you care to watch it). And I think this is important data to have because - without it - we have debates like this... where people just assume a speaker can get loud because it has the heritage of JBL Pro stamped on it... and we go "oh, it must get loud" and "full range" and "loud" is thrown out there. Yet, it has a sensitivity of 85dB and is a 6 or so inch midwoofer. It is going to be limited in output. You don't have to have a Klippel NFS to know this. But without evidence of how loud it can go (which would be provided via a comparison at low vs high volume), it's just conjecture. You need some way of proving this. So, in the name of science, isn't this important to characterize? I think so. To me, this is missing information that is needed. And Sean agrees. Even if it is a rudimentary way. And this is exactly what my tests serve to provide:
1) An idea of the "dynamic range" of a speaker by comparing the delta FR at one instantaneous SPL to another (the sweep length is stated,
2) An idea of how the output not only changes instantaneously but also how the output levels would alter the frequency response.

It's really that simple. If you don't like it or find no merit in it then there's really nothing I can say to convince you. However, to me, this kind of testing is much more useful than HD testing - where Geddes, Toole and Olive's work all show no direct correlation with listener preference based on distortion. They've stated it in my discussions with them, which are all available for anyone to watch, ad-free of course. ;)

Meanwhile, we know there is a direct correlation between frequency response. Hell, the preference score is built on it. So, if one person hears a speaker at 76dB but another hears it at 90dB and we know (from my data) that the speaker suffers irregularities - not just in the bass, but anywhere in the spectrum - due to port compression, simple thermal modulation of the VC or even the crossover components not handling the heat, then one could reasonably make determinations about why those two person's subjective analysis could differ (if one cared to look at the data in that level). And manufacturers, for that example, could make changes to help their speaker become more linear.
And not for that matter at the same distance... you may have one person who listens nearfield while another listens farfield; thus different output levels and potentially different responses and issues will be heard.

Honestly, I find it so odd to see such emphasis placed on a thing like distortion which is not tied to any real metric of audibility (certainly, at least, not the current metric of HD as provided by myself, even), while the notion of a real, tangible and audible thing such as frequency response changes are dismissed. It isn't even entertained? Incredibly odd.

Furthermore, there have been cases where one could not simply "infer" such limiting/compression/enhancement from the distortion data. They don't follow the same trends. And there are clearly cases where a limiter is used, which means the bass distortion doesn't increase much but the limiting of the output is huge. Take, for example, the Kef LS50 Wireless II which increased in distortion from -35dB to -30dB (1.8% to 3.2%) from 86dB to 96dB at 1 meter.

Kef%20LS50%20Wireless%20II%20Harmonic%20Distortion%2086dB%20%40%201m.png

Kef%20LS50%20Wireless%20II%20Harmonic%20Distortion%2096dB%20%40%201m.png

Meanwhile, the difference in output from 86dB to 96dB was only 6dB; meaning a loss of 4dB due to built-in limiting. There is no way, whatsoever, one could look at the HD data and presume such a difference in SPL levels would occur. And this isn't linear; other speakers behave differently. So, as I said, there is no way to look solely at the HD data and derive some idea of how much compression/limiting/enhancement a speaker would have. You need the FR for that.

Kef%20LS50%20Wireless%20II_Compression_full.png

And, sure, some of the results show practically no change. I have stated myself many times in my videos that a 0.50dB or 1dB change at 102dB @ 1m is likely to be inaudible given the output level already being so high. BUT, without seeing those kind of "good" results, how do you know what to compare the "bad" ones to?

And finally, stating that compression data is meaningless because we need more than just one tone exciting the speaker?... Uh... what are we doing for the SPINORAMA dataset, again?.... Yea.

So, like I said, I know Amir disagrees with the testing I (and others such as SoundStage and Audioholics and anyone else who does short/long term response testing) provide. But the above lays out the "defense" and provides context and debunks some of the notions for why it is no good.

At this point it is up to the viewers to decide if the data is useful to them. It sure is for me and it was requested by guys who have been in this field for longer than I have been alive ... so I'm gonna keep doing it. ;)

- Erin

Last edited:

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
As long as you don't come across as poking your finger in the eye of anyone going for the incrementally more expensive gear, sure. In this case, speakers are something you look at, and their sound is never identical so such a point carries even less favor that say, electronics you hide in a shelf.
I think poking a finger in someone's ear in this case would not be good either! :)

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Contrast that with my listening tests where I am able to easily assess limitations of speakers with proper content. The artifacts are all distortion related which anyone can hear and experience just as well.
It would be useful if you could provide an SPL number and listening distance for when you find the limits of a speaker during your listening test. It should give readers some objective data to consider if the reviewed speaker will get loud enough for their space and loudness preference.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is key. The main application for this type of tests is where the drop is large and hence, can be attributed to limitations in the speaker/amplifier. When it is tiny, who knows what it is.
No dog in the fight here but just to throw another wrench into this and make sure all of the info is out on the table for consideration...we actually want bass to cut back a bit at high volumes to maintain equal loudness.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
No dog in the fight here but just to throw another wrench into this and make sure all of the info is out on the table for consideration...we actually want bass to cut back a bit at high volumes to maintain equal loudness.

Well, if you’re going to go with that logic, don’t forget to include the changes you “want” in other parts of the spectrum. ;) :D

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand you don't think the tests have any value. We will agree to disagree. And I won't argue or belabor this point online with you because I have more important things to do than argue in circles, knowing I won't change your mind.

I agree with your substantial points here, Erin - clearly stated. Just a small comment: I don't think it is necessary or called for to engage in this kind of small snipes at Amir (maybe they weren't even intended as such). You can make your points without it. After all, it is his forum, and I can understand if he doesn't like it. This is coming from someone who would like the two guys with Klippel machines to finally get along :) (and don't want to see you get banned again)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It would be useful if you could provide an SPL number and listening distance for when you find the limits of a speaker during your listening test. It should give readers some objective data to consider if the reviewed speaker will get loud enough for their space and loudness preference.
Sure, it would be nice but it would take serious work to correlate the music level with actual SPL in any kind of accurate way. Onset of distortion is also a soft point, not a precise number.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think poking a finger in someone's ear in this case would not be good either! :)
Review threads are not for generic battles like this. Post it in other threads so I and others not interested don't have to read them.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I agree with your substantial points here, Erin - clearly stated. Just a small comment: I don't think it is necessary or called for to engage in this kind of small snipes at Amir (maybe they weren't even intended as such). You can make your points without it. After all, it is his forum, and I can understand if he doesn't like it. This is coming from someone who would like the two guys with Klippel machines to finally get along :) (and don't want to see you get banned again)

What? There were no snipes. They are truths. Amir has made it clear here and elsewhere he doesn’t see the value in my compression tests. All you have to do is read what he wrote above. And I framed my reply to be pointed that I’m not trying to start a debate with him because I already know his position.

To be honest, when people say the things you did above, that’s when things get turned into something it’s not. I don’t want people trying to read between the lines and therefore I feel I am very clear in my posts when it concerns differences between what Amir and I provide and do. I do not want nor have the time to engage in a debate for the sake of a debate. That’s why I laid out my points as clearly and concisely as I could and that’s that.

Hopefully that nips any drama in the bud and we can steer this back on topic.

;)

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What? There were no snipes. They are truths. Amir has made it clear here and elsewhere he doesn’t see the value in my compression tests. All you have to do is read what he wrote above. And I framed my reply to be pointed that I’m not trying to start a debate with him because I already know his position.

To be honest, when people say the things you did above, that’s when things get turned into something it’s not. I don’t want people trying to read between the lines and therefore I feel I am very clear in my posts when it concerns differences between what Amir and I provide and do. I do not want nor have the time to engage in a debate for the sake of a debate. That’s why I laid out my points as clearly and concisely as I could and that’s that.

Hopefully that nips any drama in the bud and we can steer this back on topic.

;)

Ok, then I misread, my bad!

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I understand you don't think the tests have any value. We will agree to disagree. And I won't argue or belabor this point online with you because I have more important things to do than argue in circles, knowing I won't change your mind.

However, to others, the purpose of the multi-output testing was derived from my conversations with Dr. Geddes as well as Dr. Toole. Heck, Dr. Geddes is the one who suggested I provide this information when I had my chat with him (I can't find the time stamp, but it is from this conversation):

Even recently Dr. Olive stated the usefulness of understanding the difference in response as the speaker's output is changed. Dr. Olive states "the listening test results totally depend on the playback level you choose ... and frequency response changes as a function of level. ... And those are the most difficult tests to do when the level changes the results".

Start here:

And, yes, what Sean mentioned was in the context of smaller speakers. However, I test smaller speakers. I test larger speakers. And our discussion covers all speakers (if you care to watch it). And I think this is important data to have because - without it - we have debates like this... where people just assume a speaker can get loud because it has the heritage of JBL Pro stamped on it... and we go "oh, it must get loud" and "full range" and "loud" is thrown out there. Yet, it has a sensitivity of 85dB and is a 6 or so inch midwoofer. It is going to be limited in output. You don't have to have a Klippel NFS to know this. But without evidence of how loud it can go (which would be provided via a comparison at low vs high volume), it's just conjecture. You need some way of proving this. So, in the name of science, isn't this important to characterize? I think so. To me, this is missing information that is needed. And Sean agrees. Even if it is a rudimentary way. And this is exactly what my tests serve to provide:
1) An idea of the "dynamic range" of a speaker by comparing the delta FR at one instantaneous SPL to another (the sweep length is stated,
2) An idea of how the output not only changes instantaneously but also how the output levels would alter the frequency response.

It's really that simple. If you don't like it or find no merit in it then there's really nothing I can say to convince you. However, to me, this kind of testing is much more useful than HD testing - where Geddes, Toole and Olive's work all show no direct correlation with listener preference based on distortion. They've stated it in my discussions with them, which are all available for anyone to watch, ad-free of course. ;)

Meanwhile, we know there is a direct correlation between frequency response. Hell, the preference score is built on it. So, if one person hears a speaker at 76dB but another hears it at 90dB and we know (from my data) that the speaker suffers irregularities - not just in the bass, but anywhere in the spectrum - due to port compression, simple thermal modulation of the VC or even the crossover components not handling the heat, then one could reasonably make determinations about why those two person's subjective analysis could differ (if one cared to look at the data in that level). And manufacturers, for that example, could make changes to help their speaker become more linear.
And not for that matter at the same distance... you may have one person who listens nearfield while another listens farfield; thus different output levels and potentially different responses and issues will be heard.

Honestly, I find it so odd to see such emphasis placed on a thing like distortion which is not tied to any real metric of audibility (certainly, at least, not the current metric of HD as provided by myself, even), while the notion of a real, tangible and audible thing such as frequency response changes are dismissed. It isn't even entertained? Incredibly odd.

Furthermore, there have been cases where one could not simply "infer" such compression/enhancement from the distortion data. They don't follow the same trends. And there are clearly cases where a limiter is used, which means the bass distortion doesn't increase much but the limiting of the output is huge. Take, for example, the Kef LS50 Wireless II which increased in distortion from -35dB to -30dB (1.8% to 3.2%) from 86dB to 96dB at 1 meter.

Kef%20LS50%20Wireless%20II%20Harmonic%20Distortion%2086dB%20%40%201m.png

Kef%20LS50%20Wireless%20II%20Harmonic%20Distortion%2096dB%20%40%201m.png

Meanwhile, the difference in output from 86dB to 96dB was only 6dB; meaning a loss of 4dB due to built-in limiting. There is no way, whatsoever, one could look at the HD data and presume such a difference in SPL levels would occur. And this isn't linear; other speakers behave differently. So, as I said, there is no way to look solely at the HD data and derive some idea of how much compression/limiting/enhancement a speaker would have. You need the FR for that.

Kef%20LS50%20Wireless%20II_Compression_full.png

And, sure, some of the results show practically no change. I have stated myself many times in my videos that a 0.50dB or 1dB change at 102dB @ 1m is likely to be inaudible given the output level already being so high. BUT, without seeing those kind of "good" results, how do you know what to compare the "bad" ones to?

And finally, stating that compression data is meaningless because we need more than just one tone exciting the speaker?... Uh... what are we doing for the SPINORAMA dataset, again?.... Yea.

So, like I said, I know Amir disagrees with the testing I (and others such as SoundStage and Audioholics and anyone else who does short/long term response testing) provide. But the above lays out the "defense" and provides context and debunks some of the notions for why it is no good.

At this point it is up to the viewers to decide if the data is useful to them. It sure is for me and it was requested by guys who have been in this field for longer than I have been alive ... so I'm gonna keep doing it. ;)

- Erin
Prolly time for us all to start a thread about this.
Very interesting for sure & we are losing the review as a topic.
The 4309 has a 1db(less everywhere else) maximum deviation at 40hrz at 96db in the chart that started this.
I think at this point we all are way off into another discussion about compression.
I just don't see an issue with the JBL. The 4309 looks pretty good for any speaker with a 6.5" driver & in this measurement was barely bested by a SOTA $400 woofer.
Anyway what do you all think, maybe get a dedicated thread so folks can go off?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Prolly time for us all to start a thread about this.

Honestly, I don’t have anything else to say on the subject. I laid out my reasons quite well and cited others with far more experience than the vast majority of the audio community who agree with what I do and/or were the impetus for it. I don’t know what else in the world I can say on the matter.

At this point if you or others don’t find value in the compression testing I provide then just ignore it. The same way people tell others to ignore Amir’s subjective analysis when they don’t agree with it. My feelings won’t be hurt. I like it. I will continue to do it. And we will all sleep the same way we did before because this isn’t life or death. It’s audio. :)

I’m gonna step out of this topic now. I gotta get some other stuff done. Peace!

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, if you’re going to go with that logic, don’t forget to include the changes you “want” in other parts of the spectrum. ;) :D
Sure, you can't really achieve comprehensive equal loudness this way. Ideally you would have no change in speaker output and do such adjustments in the electronics instead. But still, it should be noted.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Honestly, I don’t have anything else to say on the subject. I laid out my reasons quite well and cited others with far more experience than the vast majority of the audio community who agree with what I do and/or were the impetus for it. I don’t know what else in the world I can say on the matter.

At this point if you or others don’t find value in the compression testing I provide then just ignore it. The same way people tell others to ignore Amir’s subjective analysis when they don’t agree with it. My feelings won’t be hurt. I like it. I will continue to do it. And we will all sleep the same way we did before because this isn’t life or death. It’s audio. :)

I’m gonna step out of this topic now. I gotta get some other stuff done. Peace!
Come on man, with due respect don't do the step out "peace out" thing again.
I never said anything about whether I value the testing.
I always look at everything in your reviews.
Enjoy every minute of them.
It is just seems like review thread has spawned and the spawn needs it's own habitat.
It is a worthwhile conversation.
I'd love to learn more myself.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Come on man, with due respect don't do the step out "peace out" thing again.

I'm not doing that "thing". I'm simply saying that I wouldn't say anything else other than what I already have. If you guys wanna split this off, just ask the mods (@AdamG247) to carry my post over there with it and it'll save me from re-typing it all again. :)

I'm stepping out because I've got a lot of stuff to catch up on and a live stream to get ready for with friends. I'm letting you all know that I'm not ignoring comments... I'm just not gonna be in this thread to discuss the topic any further. Again, don't read anymore into my posts than what is there. This is how things get really off track and people get upset.

Top Bottom