• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Ohm's law taught in primary school in your country?

jp4573

Even in this two rival cities, I don't think so.....
"cuanto menos Resistencia, más Corrientes"
;)
rc.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have no idea -- but I doubt it.
I mean, I learned it as a very young child -- but that's because my father was a TV repairman (and erstwhile broadcast radio engineer with a First Class FCC Radiotelephone Operator's license). :)

I don't remember seeing it in textbooks even in secondary school -- I do remember that the L/C/R sort of stuff was in my college physics textbook. Mind you, though, I was (am) a life scientist, and I took what was colorfully referred to at Hopkins as physics for poets rather than the real general physics course. ;)

Raindog123

Major Contributor
To agree on terminology. In the US, the school system is divided in 3 [4-year] cycles: elementary school (starting at age 6), middle school, and high school. The first two combined — elementary and middle — comprise the “primary” education/school.

There is no Ohm’s Law (or physics of any kind) in the primary school (first 8 years).

So, my son tells me that a physics class — that does include electricity basics and Ohm‘s Law — is an optional selection course during high-school Junior year (11th grade). All under the “science” subject, one can chose it or alternatively continue with the second semester of chemistry (and in the latter case not have it at all).

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Would have been taught it in 3rd year physics back in 1986ish when I was 14 or so, then used it throughout physics till I left school at 17

Scotland btw and it probably helped that my physics teacher at school was related to James Clerk Maxwell so we were well schooled in all things electrical as well as his achievements, prob influencing my choice of mechanical/electrical engineering at uni. His house “Glenlair” is a 20 min drive from mine and has a visitor centre explaining all about the great man.

Last edited:

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Most kids here graduate when they are 18 in grade 12 so leave grade 9 at 15. Maybe different states have different grading levels.
Yes, 14/ 15 at the end of the school year in June. 13/ 14 when starting. When I was in HS (~40 years ago) Physics was an elective and normally not taken until Senior year. It was considered an Advanced Placement class, mainly for those intending to go to college in engineering or sciences.

Our steps were: Freshman year (9th grade) - Earth Science, Sophomore year - Biology, Junior year - Chemistry, Senior Year -- no obligation, but Chem II and Physics as AP classes. Unfortunately Chem II wasn't taught at my school; you had to be bussed to another school about 20 minutes away so it really messed up the school day if you took it. I did not want to do anything that would mess up playing soccer so I passed on the opportunity.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I learned about it in secondary school, my two teenage kids seem to have been introduced to it around the same time I was.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Relatively similar between different countries, I notice.:)

At a more general level when it comes to the economy and the education system as a whole, there is now talk in Sweden (the same reasoning exists in many other countries) about whether it is with the help of knowledge and more education that the competitiveness of the country is strengthened. In addition, more and more of the "simpler" jobs have moved abroad (the manufacturing industry). More people will go to higher education.

The challenge is partly that not everyone wants and can study at university and partly that no matter how you turn it around craftsmen are needed, be it for example a plumber, car mechanic, floor layer craftsman, welders ..and so on.

So around that, there is a lot of discussion and thought. But now there is more talk about how to strengthen the military and support Ukraine, of course:

:oops:...:confused:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many years ago I happened to mention to a colleague at work that when I worked in electricity generation I had signed a PO for a welder to do a single weld for£5000. He was horrified that an uncouth tradesman could command such a price when he was paid half that in a month as a chartered engineer. I told him if it was so easy he could get a job as a welder. He genuinely couldn't understand that every hour a turbine generator is off line costs telephone number amounts of money and there aren't many welders who can do welds on turbine blades, do it quickly and have a track record of passing the radiography and NDE first time. It's really not uncommon for highly skilled tradespeople to make more than professional people. I used to be involved in recruitment, finding degree qualified engineers is easy, finding good welders, instrument technicians etc was like searching for rocking horse turds.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first job after finishing my physics degree was writing textbooks on physics, engineering and chemistry for education from 12 to 16 years. Not intended to be the main textbook but some sort of support material, specially for those who struggle. Not the best collection out there because I was unexperienced and didn't have much suppot from the publisher, but it was fun nevertheless. I saw this thread and wanted to take a look, and found this:

exatac_ohm.jpg

It's in Spanish but I'm sure you recognize the formula. This is for 12 years old students.

Last edited:

Rat God

In Denmark we there taught it in folkeskolen (primary school?) but it was on very simple examples and mostly just telling us that it exists. After choosing physics in later education I've gotten a vastly better understanding of Ohms law.

ENG

Forum Donor
In Denmark you can be a student at 19-20 y.o. and never heard of Ohms law.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1647373654999.gif

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not bad... Many people here have a good understanding of this matters, but for those who don't, or just want to refresh a bit, in EM terms Ohm's law means that the electrical field E is proportional to the current J, the proportionality constant between the two vectors being the resistivity or the conductivity, depending on how you write it. Is this relation always valid? Under mild conditions it is, as EE know, which means under the usual assumptions of homogeneity, isotropy, etc. which lead to a constant conductivity/resistivity. Reitz and Milford has all details. This has the advantage of being more general, and valid in every point of space, just like Maxwell equations in its differential form, the original. If you integrate this equation for a uniform conductor, the result is the well known scalar formula.

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ohm's law was taught right between Salinger and Nietzsche... 2 years after the first buzz... so about 14 years old. HEY... it was the 70's. :cool: I wish I had paid more attention that year but HEY... it was the 70's. :cool: (I think I just had a flashback)
1647380432062.png

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I attended school in the UK, 'Infants & Primary School' was ages 5 to 11, 'Secondary School' was ages 11 to 16, and '6th form' (or college) was ages 16-18.

I think I was introduced to 'Ohm's law' in Physics classes from age 11 in Secondary School - although I attended a 'selective' Technical High School (you had to pass an '11 plus' exam to get in) and the syllabus may have been a little different from the 'standard' state schools.

I am constantly surprised by the number of people I meet in apparently 'technical' IT roles who have never heard of simple equations such as 'V=IR', 'P=VI' or 'P=I^2R'.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not bad...
Yeah, it should have a second volt gnome pulling on the right side to show the circuit, maybe. I'm an ME and not the OP but an 8 year old should be able to get the concept with that cartoon.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yeah, it should have a second volt gnome pulling on the right side to show the circuit, maybe. I'm an ME and not the OP but an 8 year old should be able to get the concept with that cartoon.
Push-pull vs. single-ended...

:cool:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
It wasn't when I was that age, in Australia - was taught around year 9 (circa 14-16yo) high school

I guess I will find out when it gets taught as my son progress through....

Top Bottom