• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my power amplifier single-ended? Is it single-ended in bridged mode?

CJ4life

Hello all:

So I'm getting pretty close to purchasing the Polk L800s for my front L/Rs, but there's a little bit of information I need regarding my amplification first:

• The L800s require a single-ended amplifier (NOT balanced / differential) to maximize the effect of the SDA-pro technology (you lose 6dB of the SDA-effect if using a differential amp); however, I am not sure if my amplifier has that design or if it's differential / fully balanced
  • The amplifier I'm running is the Denon POA-A1HDCI
  • If it IS single-ended operating normally if I run it in bridged mode, does that change it into balanced / differential? I'd like to run the front two channels bridged if this is not a concern.

Appreciate all the help in advance!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Bridge, balanced, and differential are all essentially the same thing. The signal (or "power") isn't ground referenced and the signal-current path doesn't go through ground.

OP
C

CJ4life

Bridge, balanced, and differential are all essentially the same thing. The signal (or "power") isn't ground referenced and the signal-current path doesn't go through ground.
OK, so if I run it without being bridged, I should be good for my purposes? (needing a single-ended amp)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bridge has two flavors though: one where you parallel the amps, and the other where you run the amps in inverse:

1680362758974.gif

VS
1680362779390.gif

OP
C

CJ4life

So, continuing the "rabbit hole" a bit:

• The "stereo-dimensional-array" on the Polk L800s is the area affected by the differential amps, which are the tweeter and the mid-bass driver
  • If I bi-amped the L800s and "bridged" only the low-frequency 10" woofers, It should not affect the stereo-dimensional array drivers, correct?
  • I would want to do this mainly to make sure the really power-hungry woofers would have all the power they could want

Thanks again!

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, continuing the "rabbit hole" a bit:

• The "stereo-dimensional-array" on the Polk L800s is the area affected by the differential amps, which are the tweeter and the mid-bass driver
  • If I bi-amped the L800s and "bridged" only the low-frequency 10" woofers, It should not affect the stereo-dimensional array drivers, correct?
  • I would want to do this mainly to make sure the really power-hungry woofers would have all the power they could want

Thanks again!
That is correct.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Excellent, thank you!

Would there be any gain/volume issues with one part of the speaker being bridged and another not?
Yes. The bridge will have 2x voltage, 4x power (+6dB).

Unless your amp adjusts for the gain difference.

Top Bottom