• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Is it safe to use contact cleaner on audio electronics?

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Is it safe to use contact cleaner on audio electronics? I have a mechanical switch that I used contact cleaner on the inside of an old audio device. I let it dry for 12 hours. How safe is this stuff? How long does it take to evaporate off the device in your experience?

majingotan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use the Deoxit products off of my DACs, preamps and even MMCX connectors for my CA Andromeda IEM and never had issues with it. Get the quick dry version (usually has the Honeywell Solstice PF in the ingredient label) so you can use it after 2 minutes of application.

OP
ShiZo

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Thread Starter #3
I used the CRC QD contact cleaning a mechanical switch button that was stuck and not smoothly actuating. I did get it on some of the PCB though.

Shadrach

Is it safe to use contact cleaner on audio electronics? I have a mechanical switch that I used contact cleaner on the inside of an old audio device. I let it dry for 12 hours. How safe is this stuff? How long does it take to evaporate off the device in your experience?
Unless you've applied so much that it shorts the component out it shouldn't matter if it's wet or dry. Current will still flow.

Doodski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it's safe but it can make a mess if you use too much especially when it forms a slurry when mixed with the dust. I would avoid NuTrol because it does not leave a long lasting lubricant and the potentiometer or switch will become stiff after a year or two.

OP
ShiZo

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Thread Starter #6
I did apply some lubricant to the switch after that. Some stuff that's supposed to be plastic and electrically safe.

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

vavan

somewhat off-topic but I wonder how detrimental white dust produced by ultrasonic humidifiers (when using non demineralized water) is for electronics with its contacts, speakers and their drivers

I've had some experience with the red QD CRC in my business. It's used in the field as a 'cleaner' to clean wire harness connectors and linkage and some moving parts that get all gunked up with coin dust. One particular tech uses the spray on sealed bearings (I don't approve but, what do I know and, no one would listen anyway). It does a good job on certain applications as it dries fast and leaves no residue. I wouldn't use it for pots and switches on audio gear because I believe it would suck the lube from them. But it is cheap, at around $6.00 a can, so I'm told.

somewhat off-topic but I wonder how detrimental white dust produced by ultrasonic humidifiers (when using non demineralized water) is for electronics with its contacts, speakers and their drivers
White dust is all the stuff / residue in the water that could be filtered out by reversed osmosis or demineralised (more old fashioned).
Mainly calcium and some traces of salts.

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Wurth Contact OL has been my favorite for many years. I've used it for all contact cleaning and protection on everything from electronic pots and switches to in the shop for auto and motorcycle needs. It's done an excellent job of cleaning these items while never doing anything negative to components in the short or long term. It's all I keep next to my toolbox and workbench.
https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-P...e/Electronics/Contact-Cleaner-OL/p/0890101101

https://www.ebay.com/i/293540573792...MIl_bms6ng6QIVSrLICh2h9AS9EAQYAyABEgLWS_D_BwE