• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is EQ'ing headphones worth it?

Is EQ'ing headphones worth it?

• Total voters
OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for responding, I have never EQ'd my Cloud 2's, Just used them for gaming so I'm not entirely sure anyone would EQ it to Harman Curve.
I currently added 3 EQ options that I found from Oratory, you and one more user.
Headphones are new but they're older version I think, since they did end in a larger 6.5mm male plug that I unscrewed to plug in into my FiiO K3.
Are there major differences in old & new? I've chosen those headphones over Sennheiser 6XX.

And thanks alot for understanding, Cloud 2 has Frequency Response of : 15-20,000Hz
Sensitivity98dB/mW
Power Capacity3mW
Impedance60 ohms

Let's still try to make sure what version of HD560s you're using, the following is the cable from the New Version:
HD560s New Version cable.jpg

You can see the 6.5mm adapter on the right there that screws on & off. And on the far left you can see the 3.5mm plug which it screws onto. Is this the same cable as yours? The Old Version would just be a 6.5mm plug attached to the cable and then the adapter they provide with Old Version clips on to turn it into 3.5mm. So the Old Version is the opposite of what's in the picture above if you like.

datsky

As you can see I have a revision version which is newer, allthough, I have read bad things about it, Did I make a mistake buying those headphones?
I'm currently using those EQ's and it sounds way better than it was.
1700552385224.png
1700552417363.png

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's good, yes you have the New Version of the HD560s for sure. Right, so the New Version has a different frequency response than the Old Version. I've measured 3 units of the Old Version & two units of the New Version and worked out what the difference was, the difference is effectively the following graph (don't worry that these don't look like the normal measurements you see, because this was measured on a different type of headphone measuring rig called miniDSP EARS, but it's still valid for comparing differences between units of the same headphone model):
HD560s New Version to Old Version EQ.jpg

Because Oratory's measurements & EQ's are mostly based on the Old Version then it makes sense to apply the EQ you see in the above graph that converts a New Version headphone into an Old Version headphone, and then you also apply Oratory's EQ on top of that. That would likely be your best starting point. HSQ in the list of filters in that graph stands for High Shelf Filter, and PK stands for Peak Filter. So you can see there's just 3 different filters to add to the Oratory EQ. Have a go at adding those three filters above to Oratory's latest HD560s EQ which is this one:
Then show me a screenshot of your Peace screen just so I can double check you've got all the filters in there correctly. Then you'd have a listen and see what you think, and we'll go from there.

EDIT: I think the New Version sounds better than the Old Version if you use both headphones without EQ, and there's not really any reason why the New Version would sound worse than the Old Version once you've got the EQ's sorted out properly - so you haven't made a mistake in buying the New Version HD560s.

Last edited:

datsky

Okay , I have spent few minutes to understand what exactly I have to change or add, I am currently using Oratory's settings but your EQ really looks different from mine, Are you saying that I should change filters of certain bands?

*EDIT* picture
1700583577037.png

Last edited:
OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay , I have spent few minutes to understand what exactly I have to change or add, I am currently using Oratory's settings but your EQ really looks different from mine, Are you saying that I should change filters of certain bands?
So use the latest Oratory EQ which is in the link in my previous post - the link to the pdf file. Then on top of that EQ add my EQ that changes New Version to Old Version, which are the filters in the graph in my previous post, but I'll type out those filters for you here:
  • High Shelf Filter at 1200Hz, +2.1dB, Q0.71
  • Peak Filter at 2640Hz, -1.4dB, Q2.0
  • Peak Filter at 1256Hz, +0.7dB, Q1.0
So you add those 3 filters in the bullet points above to Oratory's EQ that is in the link in my previous post (the pdf file). I'll post the link again to be sure: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7amvtfabcizrc12/Sennheiser HD560S.pdf?dl=0

datsky

Alright, I have done it, I hope I have done everything right here?
1700583856248.png

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright, I have done it, I hope I have done everything right here? View attachment 328292
Good effort, but you got a few things wrong. The filter at 7000Hz should be +2.5dB and you've got it at -0.6dB. Second thing is that you've taken my 3 filters from the bullet points and replaced them into Oratory's EQ - in other words you've erased his first 3 filters (Band 1-3 on his pdf file). Instead what you need to do is just add my filters to his, so literally on your screenshot there all you need to do is add his Band 1-3 filters in the space you've got at the end of your screenshot there (you've already got 3 blank columns where you can add them). And yes, of course don't forget to change that 7000Hz filter I mentioned to +2.5dB because you just copied that one wrong from Oratory's pdf file. Post up your screenshot again once you've changed it, and I'll check it. Then see how it sounds and we'll take it from there.

datsky

Unfortunately I get rattling/buzzing sound in my left ear cup , is it because hd 560 have treble issue or it's defective unit I cant understand

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Could be a hair touching the driver.
Remove the pads, then remove the dust guard and check for pieces of hair sticking through.

Is there also rattling/buzzing when used without EQ or on another device ?

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately I get rattling/buzzing sound in my left ear cup , is it because hd 560 have treble issue or it's defective unit I cant understand
No, HD560s does not have a treble issue with rattling or buzzing, so it's not a model specific problem. Have a look at what solderdude is saying above me, that might sort it out.
(Don't forget to post up your screenshot once you've sorted out those mistakes I pointed out in my last post).

datsky

Remove the pads, then remove the dust guard and check for pieces of hair sticking through.

Well the headphones are literally new and I don't think it's caused by them, I get it with electronic music usually, On jazz I don't have it

datsky

I can't seem to figure out how to add your filters to his, I am really sorry i'm literally a newbie in this EQ and just in general audiophile headphones, I hear buzzing/rumbling sound with certain songs, or if I listen for long session +5 hours I get unpleasant feeling on my left ear mostly , maybe my ears are used to closed back , I also tried using headphones backwards and I still get same unpleasant feeling on left ear which is not case with even treblier headphones ( cloud 2 and g pro x gaming headset ) That's why I was trying to find perfect EQ settings to fix this issue, some people also had same problem and it had something to do with batches that were built in China , some driver screws were loosen up which was causing the issue, but for me it only happens after few hours or with certain songs, it does not happen with jazz... pls help

Attachments

• 1700653771956.png
    1700653771956.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 14

datsky

Yes it's still there with certain songs with or without eq , not on any other device, I currently have 2 other headphones and I don't get same issue with them

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So it is only with that particular headphone on that particular output and not present when the HD560S is connected to a phone or other device ?

Or.. is it only present on the HD560S on all devices but not on other headphones ?

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't seem to figure out how to add your filters to his, I am really sorry i'm literally a newbie in this EQ and just in general audiophile headphones, I hear buzzing/rumbling sound with certain songs, or if I listen for long session +5 hours I get unpleasant feeling on my left ear mostly , maybe my ears are used to closed back , I also tried using headphones backwards and I still get same unpleasant feeling on left ear which is not case with even treblier headphones ( cloud 2 and g pro x gaming headset ) That's why I was trying to find perfect EQ settings to fix this issue, some people also had same problem and it had something to do with batches that were built in China , some driver screws were loosen up which was causing the issue, but for me it only happens after few hours or with certain songs, it does not happen with jazz... pls help
Right, so look at the following pic where I've circled in red:
these ones.png

Sorry, made a mistake in this post I'm writing now but have edited now (hopefully you didn't read it yet), so put the following 3 filters into the space where I've circled in red above (so the following are the Oratory filters that you decided to remove, you wanna keep these following filters) - put the following 3 filters into the circled red area above:
  • Peak Filter at 53Hz, -2.6dB, Q1.0
  • Low Shelf at 105Hz, 5.5dB, Q0.71
  • Peak Filter at 140Hz, -1.9dB, Q0.7

(As for the negative stuff you're saying about the HD560s - as far as I know there isn't a known problem with this headphone model re the points you've brought up, although that doesn't mean you're not having issues with the unit you've got - solderdude is helping you with that side of it, I'm helping you with the EQ.)

EDIT: I've also just noticed you've introduced a new mistake into your 7000Hz filter, it should be Q1.2. You had it correct before.

Last edited:

datsky

So it is only with that particular headphone on that particular output and not present when the HD560S is connected to a phone or other device ?

Or.. is it only present on the HD560S on all devices but not on other headphones ?
I do not notice any buzz sound on low volumes or if I stop using headphones for couple hours, it usually starts after long sessions, I have read someone had same issue because screws were loosen, but I don't think that's the case for me, I only notice this with certain songs, maybe has to do something with song being badly mixed, usually get it on the lows, Only present on teh HD 560S on all devices but not on other headphones( even treblier ones )

datsky

Right, so look at the following pic where I've circled in red:

Sorry, made a mistake in this post I'm writing now but have edited now (hopefully you didn't read it yet), so put the following 3 filters into the space where I've circled in red above (so the following are the Oratory filters that you decided to remove, you wanna keep these following filters) - put the following 3 filters into the circled red area above:
  • Peak Filter at 53Hz, -2.6dB, Q1.0
  • Low Shelf at 105Hz, 5.5dB, Q0.71
  • Peak Filter at 140Hz, -1.9dB, Q0.7

(As for the negative stuff you're saying about the HD560s - as far as I know there isn't a known problem with this headphone model re the points you've brought up, although that doesn't mean you're not having issues with the unit you've got - solderdude is helping you with that side of it, I'm helping you with the EQ.)

EDIT: I've also just noticed you've introduced a new mistake into your 7000Hz filter, it should be Q1.2. You had it correct before.
Thank you so much for helping me out, I have set everything in correct order I think, This is how it looks now.

As for 7000 hz filter I was just testing things out , Changed it right afterwards.
1700740160030.png

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you so much for helping me out, I have set everything in correct order I think, This is how it looks now.

As for 7000 hz filter I was just testing things out , Changed it right afterwards.
View attachment 328743
That's great, I checked that and that's all setup correctly. Basically what we have done there is adapted Oratory's EQ to the New Version of the HD560s, so in theory this should sound more like his EQ is actually supposed to sound, because most of his measurements are based on Old Version of the HD560s. So in theory that should sound like a Harman Curve EQ. How does it sound, have you listened with that EQ yet?

datsky

Yeah , it sounds great with certain songs, I usually switch eq's between genres to enjoy the experience better, I think rumble/buzzing sound is now gone or atleast I don't notice it, Thanks for sharing this EQ settings with me :) I know this is out of topic but I was also looking for new headphones that are closed back and more bassier, I was thinking AKG371 or Beyer 880 pro ( even tho i just got hd 560s recently ) , As from my experience hd 560's really sound good with jazz, vocals, percussions, analytical sessions and they're great but i'm looking to have an option to enjoy electronic, rap , hiphop and other genres, Do you have any suggestions?
That's great, I checked that and that's all setup correctly. Basically what we have done there is adapted Oratory's EQ to the New Version of the HD560s, so in theory this should sound more like his EQ is actually supposed to sound, because most of his measurements are based on Old Version of the HD560s. So in theory that should sound like a Harman Curve EQ. How does it sound, have you listened with that EQ yet?

Top Bottom