• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Further thorough examination and DBT-testing would be required but that is not likely to ever happen for obvious reasons.

Ahem...

I did exactly this around 5 years ago (with the help of @mansr). 3 blind tests (essentially DBT, because Mans was controlling the test using a random generator on his phone, and sitting in a different room to me - I could neither see nor hear him) - the first two non-ABX, and the last ABX. Here are the results:

Listening Test - Cumulative results.jpg

I won't go into more detail because the test has been thrashed to death in other threads, both here on ASR and on AS, with Mans critical of the method, apparatus, and pretty much everything to do with it. He believes the ABX result (3rd test) was a fluke. For my part, I know I heard differences in sound. And what was changed between A and B? Simply buffer settings in the software player. A and B were shown to remain bit-identical throughout the test (we captured the digital input into the DAC).

Bear in mind that:
- I had never been involved in a blind test before, and took some time to get used to it
- we were using spdif into a pretty old DAC, which may well have had an analogue output stage susceptible to noise

I have a few decent modern DACs here now, and might try the test again... one day... if I have the inclination to do so.

Mani.

pma

Major Contributor
I just tried to test how robust is the S/PDIF coaxial transmission (train of impulses) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF
The signal source was Marantz SA7001 CD player, digital coaxial output fed to DacMagicPlus and its analog output digitized by E1DA Cosmos ADC. The S/PDIF coax line was used "normally" and then capacitive loaded. Up to 2.2 nF parallel capacitance, there was no difference in measured signals. When capacitor was enlarged to 4.4 nF, S/PDIF transmission stopped working because of signal amplitude decay due to too long rising and falling edges of impulses. So the S/PDIF has been quite robust and normal cables with capacitance <2 nF should work. But better to use something like usual 50 - 100pF.

1kHz sine, same shape with and without 2.2 nF capacitor

SA7001-SPDIF-DMplus.png

Dunn jitter test, no capacitor added

SA7001-SPDIF-DMplus_Dunn.png

Dunn jitter test, 2.2 nF added

SA7001-SPDIF+2n2-DMplus_Dunn.png

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I am with you but if you listen to the podcast, he makes it sound like he is a layman hungry for technical explanation. This is/was quite contrary to the content of his videos. I took him on his word when I made my offer, only to realize that the demonstrated openness in his podcast doesn't really exist.
A cunning strategy, he's making money, he exploits a individuals egotism and tries to pull in as many as possible by seeming ' reasonable ' . Jesus we've all seen this here over the years from the fly by members with a motive .

He likely can't afford the virtues the ' king of audio ' enjoys because he's not earnt them .

Personality and identity politics abound . Least we forget the darkside is often , easier , more seductive and embraces fear and ignorance.

Oh well , the YouTube videos show you at your best imo. It's a shame they can't get eyes on like the forum . Maybe Instagram! The more people see your humanity and indeed you , the better for what your trying to do imo .

Its kinda dirty tactics but no-one can match your integrity if they were aware of your life story . You've certainly inspired me to do more for folks that mean something to me .

DonR

Major Contributor
I just tried to test how robust is the S/PDIF coaxial transmission (train of impulses) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF
The signal source was Marantz SA7001 CD player, digital coaxial output fed to DacMagicPlus and its analog output digitized by E1DA Cosmos ADC. The S/PDIF coax line was used "normally" and then capacitive loaded. Up to 2.2 nF parallel capacitance, there was no difference in measured signals. When capacitor was enlarged to 4.4 nF, S/PDIF transmission stopped working because of signal amplitude decay due to too long rising and falling edges of impulses. So the S/PDIF has been quite robust and normal cables with capacitance <2 nF should work. But better to use something like usual 50 - 100pF.

1kHz sine, same shape with and without 2.2 nF capacitor

View attachment 223624

Dunn jitter test, no capacitor added

View attachment 223625

Dunn jitter test, 2.2 nF added

View attachment 223626
Nice work. Most generic audio RCA cables of about 2m in length have capacitance around 300pf from memory. Video cables are around 50-100pf. I think the RG59 standard is 60pf/m.

Reactions: pma
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

I find Darko's response combative and dismissive of Amir's solid points about Goldfinger... in fact quite rude towards the end of the reponse. So if anyone thinks Amir is ganging up on Darko... think again, as contact was made and an opportunity given before this video was posted here.

JSmith
Didn't realize he had post our communication. I can't open the above link though. Are you still able to do so?

MCH

Major Contributor
Didn't realize he had post our communication. I can't open the above link though. Are you still able to do so?
Yes:
Edit: curious, not if i click from here but yes if i google it or i paste the link in chrome

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the record, digital waveforms do not have to be, and usually aren't, very square. Go above a few hundred MHz bit rate and they start looking really sinusoidal. Engineers have ways to accurately digitize them, regardless.

pma

Major Contributor
Code:
https://darko.audio/2022/07/letters-to-the-editor-weeks-28-29-2022/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes:
Edit: curious, not if i click from here but yes if i google it or i paste the link in chrome
Thanks. I found it that way.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes:
Doesn’t work for me, but archive to the rescue:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Didn't realize he had post our communication.
I was wondering if there was a response to this video... then stumbled across that and thought, this is very poor form by Darko. To post a private message or email exchange is a shocker.
I can't open the above link though. Are you still able to do so?
I can't either now... maybe he has blocked re-directs from ASR?

Test;
edit: yep, 403 still.
curious, not if i click from here but yes if i google it or i paste the link in chrome
Yep that works, which leads me to think the above.

JSmith

Vacceo

Major Contributor
As Nelson Pass used to say, "this is an entertainment business". Do not expect any "scientific exactness", on any popular audio forum or commercial forum, or in any commercial audio magazine.
I think there is a difference between watching a Marvel film knowing that it is fiction and buying an expensive set of Wilson speaker thinking it is hi fi.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there is a difference between watching a Marvel film knowing that it is fiction and buying an expensive set of Wilson speaker thinking it is hi fi.
A lot of audiophiles very obviously enjoy the hocus-pocus. And, as long as it's not my money, they are free to buy whatever shakti stones they like. We do have an unusually orderly outlook here. It's not for everybody.

Oh and. Mr. Pass gets quite vehement about his supplied Belden power cord :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Recently listened to Darko‘s podcast episode with golden sound. If you want to understand darko‘s opinion on measurements, I recommend listening to it.
I generally don’t recommend trying to argue with tryhard subjectivists because it’s mostly just a waste of time.
But Darko is a bit more open towards different opinions as the podcast has shown IMHO
I don't think he is open to opinions if he keeps telling the bullshit video after video on his Youtube channel. All he cares about is the views on sponsorships, which is not surprising since its his livelihood.

Edit: the re-direct issue confirms what I said. ASR threatens his bottom line so he will do everything to prevent that. Just shows what kind of person he is.

Midwest Blade

Well…used to watch a few of Darko’s videos which were generally well produced, took his recommendations and reviews with a big grain of salt but found some of his discussions interesting. Know fully that he was on the dark side of review and recommend and firmly in the subjectivist camp, thought he might be more of a bridge commentator in the audio world. Oh well, more time to watch other mind numbing vid’s on YouTube.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom