• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is buying speakers with a small hole in the driver a bad idea?

thanossapiens

Seller says he doesn't hear any issues. Even if there are, can it be repaired or is it not worth the risk?

1676753247014.png

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a good idea imo. Even if there's no audible impact right now(VERY skeptical about this, I bet measurements would show an issue and how could you trust the seller's opinion anyway?) it could tear in half the day after you bought it with that damage already ruining the structural integrity.

If the price is exceptionally low(like far less than anything comparable on the used market) and you can get a driver replacement from the manufacturer and get it fixed or fix it yourself I'd say go for it. It will probably need a replacement though.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A little glue will probably fix it up but I'd expect a big discount!

It's always a "risk" buying anything used.

You are changing the driver mass by adding glue but I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference.

OP
T

thanossapiens

Not a good idea imo. Even if there's no audible impact right now(VERY skeptical about this, I bet measurements would show an issue and how could you trust the seller's opinion anyway?) it could tear in half the day after you bought it with that damage already ruining the structural integrity.

If the price is exceptionally low(like far less than anything comparable on the used market) and you can get a driver replacement from the manufacturer and get it fixed or fix it yourself I'd say go for it. It will probably need a replacement though.
Since shipping and import taxes are involved the price is not that good. I just thought I could tape over or glue it together

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It can be repaired -- and perhaps it should be, if it is a driver that's worth repairing (i.e., the discount makes it worthwhile and/or the driver is sufficiently high quality to make it worthwhile). There are several good techniques (not all of which are terribly elegant!) that can yield a strong repair that won't too much impact the operational parameters of the driver.

I am assuming it is a paper-cone driver. If the cone is made of something exotic -- sorry, I cannot offer any worthwhile opinion.
If it is a truly worthy driver, it should be possible to find a speaker repair place who can recone it with original or aftermarket parts.

AudiOhm

I would not have entertained a damaged speaker like that.

Of coarse the seller is going to tell you that is does not affect the sound, he wants to sell them.

I have repaired torn paper woofers in the past, it can be done...

Ohms

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be surprised if the speaker is not farting and buzzing. It takes so little air to pass through from the inside to the outside for it to make audible noise.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Since shipping and import taxes are involved the price is not that good. I just thought I could tape over or glue it together
Shipping and taxes would make it a "no" from me. Even if you can get the price down to justify sourcing a replacement driver, you don't know how the issue happened. Did the speaker fall over? Also, a quick zoom in shows the driver is stained in some way. This might be an artefact of the light or camera, but given the dust and dirt, I wouldn't risk it.

AudiOhm

Alright, thanks for your help, Iooks like its not worth it at all so I won't be buying
Wise decision.

They are going to be delivered to my house on Tuesday...;)

Ohms

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eclipse TD508 first generation
actually I changed my mind, buy and send to amir so we can see what a damaged driver causes and also how bad a tiny speaker with a full range driver probably is lol :)

OP
T

thanossapiens

actually I changed my mind, buy and send to amir so we can see what a damaged driver causes and also how bad a tiny speaker with a full range driver probably is lol :)
I have a later model (which broke down) and I was very happy with it so i looked for something similar. They are bad by normal standards, but they are excellent as desktop speakers and have them only half a meter away from my ear. I'm not sure if multi driver ones will sound ok from such a short distance.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are bad by normal standards, but they are excellent as desktop speakers and have them only half a meter away from my ear. I'm not sure if multi driver ones will sound ok from such a short distance.
Good coaxials are also a good alternative for such distances and usage.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom